A tale of two museums.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  03:23:56  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came within an ace of putting this one in Moonscape -- if Jerome can do it, so can I, and it's certainly surreal enough, but changed my mind at the last moment.
A comparison between the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History and the Creation Museum

by David A. DeWitt, Ph.D., Director, Center for Creation Studies, Liberty UniversitySeptember 10, 2007

In the past several months I visited two major U.S. museums. During the spring, I took a group of Liberty University students to Washington, D.C. to visit the famed Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Then, in the summer, my wife and I drove the 450 miles to visit AiG's Creation Museum in Northern Kentucky.

Both museums had dinosaur skeletons, fossils, and a cast of “Lucy” the australopithecine (the supposed link between humans and an ape-like ancestor). Both museums had information about various animals. Both had videos to watch. But that is about where the similarities end.
It's a fun read for those who's ulcers are of the calm variety and can take a little smarmy fantasy along with outright lying in stride.

But it caused me to again wonder; will Ham's Folly actually be a long-term success? It started out with a whoop & hooray, but so do a great many failures & near failures once the novelty wears off. I might speculate that, unlike the Smithsonian, few will want to travel the distances required just to see it. It could well end up being more than a local phenomena/tourist-trap. The Smitty, on the other hand, is a must-see and DC is often visited from afar for no more than that. Not to mention the exacting research performed there, which AiG, et al., wouldn't know anything about.

We shall see; we shall see. Until then, it's all good for a laugh & a larf & I'm enjoying hell out of it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  05:15:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creation Studies at Liberty University. I suspect that he could have written this without having ever visited either museum. Conclusion...
There could hardly be more contrast between two museums. The first one has “exchanged the truth of God for a lie” and teaches that man has evolved from tiny rat-like creatures over millions of years; the second upholds the truth of God's Word and teaches that the Bible can be trusted.
Let a firm belief be your guide.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually almost impossible for me to take anything seriously that is preceded by that top-of-the-page artwork, showing sauropods grazing with antelope. It's clear that there is no real attempt by this lot to gloss over Creationism with a veneer of science. (They do hire good artists, though one artists who are laughably weak in researching their subject.) It all comes down to, "Who ya gonna believe."

The article may as well have been subtitled, "A comparison of reason and superstition." That's all it amounts to.

We need to keep educating the public. That, and preventing Creationist crap being taught in public schools, while mercilessly ridiculing it wherever its taught by the fundies.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:16:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There could hardly be more contrast between two museums. The first one has “exchanged the truth of God for a lie” and teaches that man has evolved from tiny rat-like creatures over millions of years; the second upholds the truth of God's Word and teaches that the Bible can be trusted.

I encourage everyone to visit the Creation Museum and, if you can, bring a skeptical friend.

I would be delighted to be that skeptical friend. Of course, by the end of the tour, they might regret that they brought me…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I encourage everyone to visit the Creation Museum and, if you can, bring a skeptical friend.

I would be delighted to be that skeptical friend. Of course, by the end of the tour, they might regret that they brought me…

The first thing I thought when I read that ridiculous blurt was, hand up and waving: Oooo, pick me; PICK ME!!

You might think that the guy didn't think that through, but he did. He knows full well that no True Believer(tm) is going to take a hard skeptic anywhere near the creation moouseum, even that if that TB actually knows one and is on speaking terms with him/her. So, DeWitt gets a free pass on it, ass safely covered. He missed his calling, I think; shoulda gone into politics.

I still hope to go but it'll have to wait until better financial times -- unless.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.