Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, J, NONE of the words are anywhere even close to legible! That could be the Magna Carta being pointed to, as far as that video's quality is concerned.

Here's words that I think I can hear:

pipe
key
kick (or kit)
steal (or steel, or seal)
flame (or plane, or plain)
mud

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:44:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

No, J, NONE of the words are anywhere even close to legible! That could be the Magna Carta being pointed to, as far as that video's quality is concerned.

pipe
key
kick (or kit)
mud

Uhh, the teacher repeats the words and they are very clear. The words are written and apparent on my monitor.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  09:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

pipe
key
kick (or kit)
mud

Uhh, the teacher repeats the words and they are very clear. The words are written and apparent on my monitor.

Honestly, Jerome, I think you must be both hearing and seeing things through a personal filter of psychosis. I can't imagine any rational reason you would claim to see and hear these things, and can only assume auditory and visual hallucinations. You should get that checked out, seriously.

While the words are rather hard to hear clearly, they are totally impossible to read.

Here's as good of a screen capture as I could get during a close-up of the teacher's list. (I have "high" quality set for the Flash player.) The boldest words on the sheet could be in Greek or Hebrew, from all I can make out:

If you can get a clearer screen capture, I'd love to see it. Put up, or shut up. But if you think you can read the above, you are simply delusional.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 11:32:06
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  09:13:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Let's break this down, Jerome. I'll start, because you seem to have cold feet about making any real conclusions, instead just trolling to add to the general paranoid background noise.

First, apparently nobody here except you hears that list of words, which, even if they were spoken would prove nothing. You begin with no evidence, then blithely go on to imply grave paranoid "connections" to other events.

You seem to be implying that this teacher, and maybe her little students, were aware of the 9/11 attacks in advance, and chose to reveal this by chanting certain key words? Just a few questions:

1) Why? Why would the 9/11 conspirators, be they Al Qaeda or the New World Order, tell this elementary public school teacher in advance? Wouldn't that be a bizarrely risky breach of security? Or are all teachers part of Them? (That would seem to fit with your hatred for, and apparent avoidance of, public education.)

2) What would be the point of the chanting, if it were done by someone with foreknowledge of 9/11? Some kind of voodoo magic? Huh, Jerome?

3) Do you have any idea how bat-shit, paranoid crazy this make us think you are?

4) Do you have any idea how angry this kind of insane fantasy crap makes some of us, while Bin Laden is still on the loose six years after the attacks?

Your questions seem paranoid. Were you once a WOO?

You have made up a great deal beyond what I said. I am sorry you can not enjoy a freaky coincidence without paranoid projections onto the messenger.

Yeah, I briefly believed in extra-terrestrial visitations in UFOs, about 48 years ago when I was in Junior High School. I got smarter, though.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:18:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I listened to the first 50 seconds of the video and I agree with Jerome that the twilight zone theme should be cued up. But only for Jerome; because if he really beleives he can hear and see those words then he is definitly deep, deep into the twilight zone.

For your consideration, a gulible, odd little man - Jerome...

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  18:11:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not as big a deal; this coincidence , as you all are making it out to be.

The method of teaching that the teacher is using is not uncommon, nor are the vocabulary words that she is teaching uncommon. I can not recall the name of the method currently; when I do I will post the info.

This is nothing more than a freaky occurrence with ZERO ramifications.

If find the denial rather revealing.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/11/2007 18:11:52
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  18:31:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The method of teaching that the teacher is using is not uncommon, nor are the vocabulary words that she is teaching uncommon. I can not recall the name of the method currently; when I do I will post the info.
I believe it may be phonics an offshoot of the written equivalent kilbonics.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  18:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

pipe
key
kick (or kit)
mud

I think the first word is kite and the next is kit.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  19:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Jerome, I don't think anyone here is in denial of anything. What has been offered is alternatives to your conclusions. I think the only thing agreed upon thus far is that the video is of such low quality that the words can not be determined. You claimed you could read the words, that claim was challenged. You ignored it. Why?

Now the claim that you can hear the words is much harder to contest or confirm. Hearing can often be a difficult thing because much of our hearing is based upon pattern recognition and guessing. This is especially true when you read what you hear first, then go listening for it. Michael Shermer demonstrates this in this video (feel free to fast forward to 2:30).

Don't make accusations of denial just because someone does not agree with you. It honestly makes you look rather pathetic.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/11/2007 19:32:45
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  19:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Jerome, I don't think anyone here is in denial of anything. What has been offered is alternatives to your conclusions. I think the only thing agreed upon thus far is that the video is of such low quality that the words can not be determined. You claimed you could read the words, that claim was challenged. You ignored it. Why?

Now the claim that you can hear the words is much harder to contest or confirm. Hearing can often be a difficult thing because much of our hearing is based upon pattern recognition and guessing. This is especially true when you read what you hear first, then go listening for it. Michael Shermer demonstrates this in this video (feel free to fast forward to 2:30).

Don't make accusations of denial just because someone does not agree with you. It honestly makes you look rather pathetic.

Concerning reverse speech I think along the same line as Mike.

This video is forward speech.

I fully understand what your premise is. It does not hold true in this case. I was not looking for words, just reminiscing about 9/11. I saw this video which I had seen before and listen to the words and was dumbstruck with what I heard.

From here I said WFT.

I researched and found that this is a used method of teaching vocabulary and these are common vocabulary words within the method.

The conclusion being: freaky coincidence.

The outright denials and accusations do say very much.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:01:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is not as big a deal; this coincidence , as you all are making it out to be.

This is nothing more than a freaky occurrence with ZERO ramifications.

I think your retreat from implication to "coincidence" itself is revealing. I suspect that if the word list you claimed was clearly there, you'd be making overt conspiracy claims based upon the five words.

The main point we've made is that the "coincidence" of the words you claim to hear and see just doesn't exist. Yes, that's "revealing." It reveals skepticism in it's finest form.

Meanwhile, you continue to ignore my challenge to provide a legible screen capture of the instructional sheet's text, even though you claim those words are clearly legible.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 20:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Concerning reverse speech I think along the same line as Mike.

This video is forward speech.

Then you missed the entire point Shermer was making. Speech is about pattern recognition. It does not matter whether this speech is forward or backwards, it is all sounds regardless. And it doesn't matter whether you think you are looking for the words or not. Ever since I played the Shermer video the first time, I can't not hear the words, no matter how hard I try.

Now either you have this miraculous hearing ability and can hear the words clearly or you are jumping to conclusions that you want to be true without sufficient evidence as you always do. Can you guess which one I would bet on?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:19:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think your retreat from implication to "coincidence" itself is revealing. I suspect that if the word list you claimed was clearly there, you'd be making overt conspiracy claims based upon the five words.

The main point we've made is that the "coincidence" of the words you claim to hear and see just doesn't exist. Yes, that's "revealing." It reveals skepticism in it's finest form.

Meanwhile, you continue to ignore my challenge to provide a legible screen capture of the instructional sheet's text, even though you claim those words are clearly legible.

I never implied conspiracy. I used the word coincidence in my third post and the word freaky in my OP. No backpedaling, sorry.

I can read and hear the words. Many others I have shown it to also heard and saw the words without prompting. This is the only group which denies what they hear and see. This is obviously based on the fact that this group thinks that if they hear or see these particular words in this particular setting this means a conspiracy, when in fact this is nothing more than a freaky coincidence.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky
Then you missed the entire point Shermer was making. Speech is about pattern recognition. It does not matter whether this speech is forward or backwards, it is all sounds regardless. And it doesn't matter whether you think you are looking for the words or not. Ever since I played the Shermer video the first time, I can't not hear the words, no matter how hard I try.

Well, funny that. The dozens of people I presented these 50 seconds to all heard and many saw the words. There was zero prompting outside of asking if they want to see something freaky with no further explanation of what they would be watching or the context of the video.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denials of backpeddling from implying woo, and claims of legibility, Jerome.

We're not your credulous friends, J. We're skeptics. We try hard to analyze what we observe, not just jump to delusional conclusions.

But I notice one thing: You still haven't produced a legible screen capture. If it's legible, you could easily show us. I posted the very best image I could find, and it's completely illegible.

Here it is, again, blown up:

I earlier demanded you "put up or shut up." You had your chance, now shut up.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 20:59:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.