New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:19:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Pretty weak reply, even for Jerome. Called out for what he is, and he's got nothing. But the multiple "LOL" smilies are par for the course. (And pretty damned obnoxious)

I said I was wrong and congratulated Baxter on his evidence.

Shall I whip myself?

Do you contend that I was lying and was not just mistaken?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:43:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm going to go with lie. It's a rare case that I would actually go with such a choice, but you said that you could read the words on your screen. I'm sorry, but I can't buy that you were just mistaken. I would be just as much a fool if I did.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I'm going to go with lie. It's a rare case that I would actually go with such a choice, but you said that you could read the words on your screen. I'm sorry, but I can't buy that you were just mistaken. I would be just as much a fool if I did.

I said I was wrong and I am attacked as a lier.

The prospects for you out of college are bleak if this is the idea about human interaction that you take with you.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/12/2007 18:49:30
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome, you said that you could read them on your screen! What the hell else am I supposed to conclude? That you are blind?

The words are written and apparent on my monitor.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/12/2007 18:48:27
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Jerome, you said that you could read them on your screen! What the hell else am I supposed to conclude? That you are blind?

I said that Flithy probably had it correct with the ink blot example.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Yes, you did. After the clear picture of the words was shown.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, you did. After the clear picture of the words was shown.

Yes, after I was proven wrong I stated that I was wrong. When should I have stated I was wrong? Before I had the evidence that I was wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  19:22:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pretty weak reply, even for Jerome. Called out for what he is, and he's got nothing. But the multiple "LOL" smilies are par for the course. (And pretty damned obnoxious)

I said I was wrong and congratulated Baxter on his evidence.

Shall I whip myself?

I guess I miss that part where you said "oh, man, I guess I really was fabricating things to fit my own biases." No need to whip yourself-- unless you're in that Christian order they talked about in that book about the big Jesus conspiracy the movie of which had Tom Hanks, the titles of both I can no longer recall. If that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  19:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So let me get this straight. Jerome's new line is that he brazenly lied, but that he didn't brazenly lie on purpose? Ok, now it's my turn for the obnoxious emoticons.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/12/2007 19:33:48
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  19:40:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

So let me get this straight. Jerome's new line is that he brazenly lied, but that he didn't brazenly lie on purpose? Ok, now it's my turn for the obnoxious emoticons.

Child

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  19:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I miss that part where you said "oh, man, I guess I really was fabricating things to fit my own biases." No need to whip yourself-- unless you're in that Christian order they talked about in that book about the big Jesus conspiracy the movie of which had Tom Hanks, the titles of both I can no longer recall. If that makes sense.

Da Vinci Code?

Priory of Sion?

Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/12/2007 19:43:41
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  20:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yo, Baxter! Nice job! Nothing like gettimg real evidence!

Jerome, you got your nose rubbed it it thoroughly, including your statement that you could read the words clearly. Several of us gave our guesses as to what words we thought we heard on the rather poor audio recording, but we assigned no certainty to our guesses. My own guesses were lousy. I only got "steal" right:
Here's words that I think I can hear:

pipe
key
kick (or kit)
steal (or steel, or seal)
flame (or plane, or plain)
mud
Your words were:

The children chant:

Height
Hit
Steel
Plane
Must
But you didn't say these were your best guess: You said you were sure, and backed this up by saying you could even clearly read the words!

We now know the actual words were:
kite
kit
steal
playing
must
It seems as though you should by now realize that something just wasn't working with your perceptions.

Your certainty was the problem, and it was a certainly that was flavored by the background noise of paranoid 9/11 conspiracy kooks. You we indeed so certain of what you heard, that it made you either see (hallucinate) the same words on the teacher's chart, or just lie about seeing them to add credibility to your certainty of what the words were. For my purposes here, I will be kind, and assume a hallucination.

All this is a lesson that you would do well to attend. Human perception is a very complex, delicate, and easily-distorted phenomenon. The best that humans can do is to keep a skeptical, critically thinking mindset, and try to deal with the best evidence we can find, with as few preconceptions as possible.

To do otherwise is to be credulous, to invite deception, to be made to look a fool or a liar, and, frankly, to court madness.

I truly hope you actually learned something here. You certainly have been a fine case study in credulity for everyone else. You don't have to be that next time. Do you?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:20:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just FYI, my purpose wasn't to lambast DA GNOME.

And can we give him a break on this one? After all, he said it was written and apparent, which can mean "manifest to the senses or mind as real or true on the basis of evidence that may or may not be factually valid." That's pretty accurate.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baxter

Just FYI, my purpose wasn't to lambast DA GNOME.
No need. Reality accomplishes that all on its own.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  13:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enough already!

Please!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.