Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:55:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also mention the Saints turnaround last year, but it's obvious that was orchestrated by the NFL for the city of New Orleans, right?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:29:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my very few, favorite football moments came to pass a couple of decades or so ago when I was watching a game at a friend's house. The Patriots were going for either an extra point or a field goal (don't recall which), and it was snowing all but a white-out. It was like what you'd expect to see in the Klondike on a blustery day. They were getting set up when someone on a small tractor with a snowblower attachment came out and opened a path for the kicker.

Now there's a stratgy!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I would also mention the Saints turnaround last year, but it's obvious that was orchestrated by the NFL for the city of New Orleans, right?
Well, they were conflicted because they also wanted Peyton Manning to win a Suberbowl, too. But the also wanted to finally have a match-up with two African-American coaches, so Chicago had to get to the Superbowl. So the whole season was orchestrated beforehand with those things in mind. If only someone had thought to fire Sean Peyton as the Saints' coach and hire a member of a minority instead.

This conspiracy thing is fun!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  16:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Well, they were conflicted because they also wanted Peyton Manning to win a Suberbowl, too. But the also wanted to finally have a match-up with two African-American coaches, so Chicago had to get to the Superbowl. So the whole season was orchestrated beforehand with those things in mind. If only someone had thought to fire Sean Peyton as the Saints' coach and hire a member of a minority instead.

You also need to remember that the Saints got the best player in the draft despite not having the best pick. This caused much talk during last off season.

Yes, of course these things seem far out. As one who played football for about 10 years and also a long time student of the game; when I watch individual games the manipulation is obvious.

Remember that Pro Wrestling did not admit it was just a show until just a few years ago.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  16:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome:
Remember that Pro Wrestling did not admit it was just a show until just a few years ago.
The above is exactly why I placed this thread in humor. You just can't make this shit up, unless you are Jerome...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  17:13:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

You also need to remember that the Saints got the best player in the draft despite not having the best pick. This caused much talk during last off season.

Yes, of course these things seem far out. As one who played football for about 10 years and also a long time student of the game; when I watch individual games the manipulation is obvious.

Well, it was more than a few years ago. And while the WWF/E admitted it in court, it was widely known for many years that the fix was in. And moreover, everyone was in on it. Are you asserting that hundreds of NFL players, coaches, staff, and officials are in on the secret fix?

And what does the Saints getting Reggie Bush have to do anything? Lots of times, a player widely acknowledged as being the best doesn't go first. I think there was a Heisman Trophy winner named Sanders who was drafted 3rd-- perhaps the NFL was trying to help Detroit after hurricane... well, I'm sure you'll have a good answer to that.

As one who played football for exactly 4 years, I fail to see and "obvious" manipulation in games. Bad calls? Yeah. Questionable coaching choices? Uh-huh. Poor play? Of course. But is that a conspiracy indicating that an entire sport is fixed? Bah.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  17:42:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Jerome:
The above is exactly why I placed this thread in humor. You just can't make this shit up, unless you are Jerome...

Here is Geraldo Rivera getting beat for asking a pro wrestler if wrestling is fake.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/11/2007 17:42:54
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  18:54:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There was a similar blunder in the 1984 NBA Draft. Though, I suppose taking the best player to fill a more urgent need on your team is a bad idea.

Of course I'm with filthy here. When it comes to pro sports I could give a rip. I gave up on pro football in 95 and soon discovered an extra day in my week.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  19:13:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

There was a similar blunder in the 1984 NBA Draft. Though, I suppose taking the best player to fill a more urgent need on your team is a bad idea.

Of course I'm with filthy here. When it comes to pro sports I could give a rip. I gave up on pro football in 95 and soon discovered an extra day in my week.

I am sure everyone one would agree that Hakeem Olajuwon as compared to Mario Williams is a dramatic difference as a first pick.

Houston had the option of either Reggie Bush or Vince Young.

Mario Willimas

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  21:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Jerome:

Here is Geraldo Rivera getting beat for asking a pro wrestler if wrestling is fake.

And you don't suspect that there is anything fishy about that?

How about thisThis which lead to
This? No fix there…

Unfortunately I couldn't find the actual fight, between Kaufman and Lawler, but do you really think Geraldo had no idea of what was coming? Can you find me the law-suit that came out of the incident, because if it were real, there would surely have been one?

What is funny is that you would use another fix to demonstrate that the pro wrestlers were really trying to hide what everyone knew!!!

Edited to add:

Here it is.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  09:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hold on to your hats people... I know this is going to sound crazy, but Jerome is wrong!!! I know, I know it shook me to my very fiber too.
He said:

IT'S NOT GERALDO RIVERA.
A bonified error by Jerome!!!
I guess they're making snowmen in hell right now.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:22:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Hold on to your hats people... I know this is going to sound crazy, but Jerome is wrong!!! I know, I know it shook me to my very fiber too.
He said:

IT'S NOT GERALDO RIVERA.
A bonified error by Jerome!!!
I guess they're making snowmen in hell right now.

It is Geraldo Rivera.

???

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  20:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome, the unnamed reporter has that Seventies hair and mustache thing going, like Geraldo, but in my opinion, his voice doesn't match, and Geraldo looks much older now. I advise caution in believing that all reporters with full, dark hair and mustaches are Geraldo Rivera. A few of them aren't.

Perceptions can be flavored by one's preconceptions. As you should know by know.

The wrestler's 'roid rage seems real, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  22:01:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is Geraldo Rivera.

???
No, it's John Stossel.

As often as it happens, you think you'd handle being wrong with more grace and acceptance by now.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  23:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

It is Geraldo Rivera.

???
No, it's John Stossel.

As often as it happens, you think you'd handle being wrong with more grace and acceptance by now.

Have you had a post without an insult in the last week?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.