Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Define "world wide scientific consensus".
You're the one who claimed that the data in the studies in the Hudson list contradicts the "world wide scientific consensus," so you should be well aware of how it is defined. Otherwise, you're admitting you don't know what you're talking about.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
On another note, calling H. a "childish name caller" is an example of you doing nothing but calling someone a name. If you think name-calling is a bad thing, you should quit doing it.

Intentional irony.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:20:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if find amusing is that "world wide scientific consensus" is stated as the proof of MMGW, yet the term is refused a definition. A powerful statement such as this that is not defined is intentional obfuscation of reality.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:32:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What if find amusing is that "world wide scientific consensus" is stated as the proof of MMGW, yet the term is refused a definition. A powerful statement such as this that is not defined is intentional obfuscation of reality.

What I find amusing is that you would make such a statement knowing that science doesn't deal in "proof." Proof means jack-shit except in mathmatics and whiskey. All science does is follow the evidence and thus far that evidence points in the direction of human-assisted, global warming.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:48:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But we've been over this before in more than one thread. (Indeed, it seems like it comes up in every global warming thread you introduce!) The concept isn't hard, though. If I said there were a world wide scientific consensus that smoking tobacco is harmful to your health, would you disagree with that statement if Phillip-Morris put forward a scientist (or bank-rolled an entire study group) who said otherwise?
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  16:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What I find amusing is that you would make such a statement knowing that science doesn't deal in "proof." Proof means jack-shit except in mathmatics and whiskey. All science does is follow the evidence and thus far that evidence points in the direction of human-assisted, global warming.

Semantics?

I know you do understand the point of my statement.

This game could be played with the headline you presented.

Researchers say Arctic route COULD thaw in next decade

Then again, it COULD not.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  16:49:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy! Any time now Jerome is going to start dragging out the dictionary.

You are so predictable, when you are proven to be wrong you start trying to talk in circles and obfsucate the point; you are so transparent that it is pathetic.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  17:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What if find amusing is that "world wide scientific consensus" is stated as the proof of MMGW...
No, it isn't. That's the anti-AGW propaganda working its magic on you, Jerome. Consensus has never been proof of concept. Otherwise, we'd still be purging and bloodletting. Instead, the fact that there is consensus is only provided as disproof of the anti-AGW propaganda that there is a large controversy among working climate scientists - that the "jury is still out" (a typically Republican soundbite). The Hudson List is nothing more than a brazen attempt to resuscitate the flat-lining propaganda machine, by claiming that scientists (not the study data, but the scientists themselves) "doubt" the consensus. It's a lie that you've bought into and have repeated, Jerome. You may not think it's a lie, but it is.

And you're here defending the lie, claiming it is instead true, and more-or-less doing everything your Republican puppet-masters hope you'll do. As proof of my hypothesis, you're here arguing against a "world wide scientific consensus" while at the same time demanding that someone define the term for you again. Thus, we see that either your entire argument is self-refuting (because you don't know what you're arguing against), or you're being purposefully obfuscatory and obtuse, in an exceedingly poor attempt at playing Devil's Advocate.

I'm sure you'd like to claim that you've made no argument, but any idiot can see that's simply untrue, and so any attempt to do so would be a transparent attempt by you to further obfuscate and deny reality.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  17:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All science does is follow the evidence and thus far that evidence points in the direction of human-assisted, global warming.
Incidentally filthy that 2002 article is old news. See here.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  18:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dv82matt

All science does is follow the evidence and thus far that evidence points in the direction of human-assisted, global warming.
Incidentally filthy that 2002 article is old news. See here.
From the article:
Climate models had projected the passage would eventually open as warming temperatures melted the Arctic sea ice—but no one had predicted it would happen this soon.
Wow. Sort of makes those who doubt it could even happen look like jackasses, huh?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/17/2007 18:19:53
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  18:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert
Wow. Sort of makes those who doubt it could even happen look like jackasses, huh?
Meh, Jerome making a fool of himself is nothing new.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  20:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by me

...or you're being purposefully obfuscatory and obtuse, in an exceedingly poor attempt at playing Devil's Advocate.
Thinking about this some more, I can't come up with a single valid reason for the sort of arguments that Jerome has made in this context (that of a small Internet forum, discussing the validity of the AGW consensus), so I can find no evidence that he's playing Devil's Advocate at all. So, strike that "or" clause. I can't think of a decent replacement, though, so all I'm left with is that Jerome really doesn't know what he's arguing against. Not that there's a dearth of evidence for that being the case, I was just trying to present more than one possibility due to my idealized sense of fair play.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  21:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Semantics?

I know you do understand the point of my statement.

This game could be played with the headline you presented.

Researchers say Arctic route COULD thaw in next decade

Then again, it COULD not.

It was a prediction made from earlier data, and apparently an accurate one. Science does that a lot, and they get it right a lot. Any valid, scientific theory must be able to make predictions, otherwise it is not valid.

The sea ice is shrinking in it's annual area, the polar bears are in deep shit and on their way to extinction, the glaciers too, are shrinking, tundra plants are blooming earlier, species such as armadillos and fire ants have advanced north, and the Russians are claiming North Pole territory for oil drilling. Pretty good signs, if you ask me.

If I were a gamblin' man, and I am, I'd happily lay a small wager on the accuracy of this prediction and the book wouldn't have to give me big odds.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  21:19:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Oh boy! Any time now Jerome is going to start dragging out the dictionary.

You are so predictable, when you are proven to be wrong you start trying to talk in circles and obfsucate the point; you are so transparent that it is pathetic.

Are the meanings of words not relevant?

Obfuscation would be the opposite of defining the meanings of words. Your statements are contradictory.

What is your definition of "WWSC" concerning "MMGW"?

With out an answer your are obfuscating.

Do you know the definition of the term you are defending?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  21:22:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Zero defense of your argument.

You can not even define your argument.

Just more insults, and a link you provided before.

Child.

Do you have the ability to write a response without an insult?

Dodo head.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.