New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:34:26  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smoker refused surgery.

A smoker is facing years of pain after an NHS hospital refused to set his broken ankle unless he gives up cigarettes.

I just can not wait for Hillary care in a couple of years.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look what happens when you read the rest of the article:

He refused surgery when he first injured the ankle in a fall in 2005 because he was worried about catching MRSA in hospital. When he went back a few weeks later and the ankle had not set he said he was told he would have to give up smoking before doctors could operate.

A spokesman for the hospital trust said: "Smoking has a very big influence on the outcome of this type of surgery and the healing process would be hindered significantly."

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Look what happens when you read the rest of the article:

He refused surgery when he first injured the ankle in a fall in 2005 because he was worried about catching MRSA in hospital. When he went back a few weeks later and the ankle had not set he said he was told he would have to give up smoking before doctors could operate.

A spokesman for the hospital trust said: "Smoking has a very big influence on the outcome of this type of surgery and the healing process would be hindered significantly."

I read that.

Notice that he was fearful of the poor hygine in the state run hospitals.

Too bad he can not get a second opinion. Do you really think that in America a doctor would refuse to perform the surgery?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder...

This is not just theory. There have been multiple studies confirming that smoking increases the incidence of pulmonary complications after an anesthetic as much as six times. Smoking has been shown to be an independent risk factor for complications ranging from complications of lung function to wound healing to cardiovascular events such as heart attack.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/17/2007 13:50:30
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or this

Smokers should abstain from the habit for at least six weeks before surgery to reduce the risk complications, a study suggests.

Tobacco smoke has a damaging effect on the heart, lungs and immune system.

This means they are more likely to suffer from problems with the heart or lungs, or with wounds not healing properly after surgery

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, though, that the doctors should help him quit for the time it takes (6 weeks) so that he can get his surgery...

and yes I think the US he might be refused because of the risks to his life because of his drug addiction.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/17/2007 13:55:21
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wonder...

This is not just theory. There have been multiple studies confirming that smoking increases the incidence of pulmonary complications after an anesthetic as much as six times. Smoking has been shown to be an independent risk factor for complications ranging from complications of lung function to wound healing to cardiovascular events such as heart attack.

And here is the rub. There are many factors that can complicate surgery. I would venture a guess that age is a huge factor. Does the state then have the right to deny the elderly surgery because it carries a higher risk?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  13:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think, though, that the doctors should help him quit for the time it takes (6 weeks) so that he can get his surgery...

and yes I think the US he might be refused because of the risks to his life because of his drug addiction.

You are wrong.

In America, if you pay for surgery, the doctor preforms surgery.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I wonder...

And here is the rub. There are many factors that can complicate surgery. I would venture a guess that age is a huge factor. Does the state then have the right to deny the elderly surgery because it carries a higher risk?

You don't have a choice in growing older. You have a choice in giving up smoking. Is it so much to ask?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are wrong.

So when I find one instance of surgery being refused in the US because of a pre-existing condition/addiction, will you retract your statement?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are wrong.

And then when you die because your doctor performed a surgery he shouldn't, because the patient had risk factors, he's sued for malpractice.

Yeah, real good idea, that one.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are not comprehending the implications of this example of state run medical care.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:59:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You guys are not comprehending the implications of this example of state run medical care.

Not correct. Doctors refuse treatment based on pre-existing conditions, even in non-state run care systems.

So are you going to retract when I find an example of this in the US?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:11:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't have a choice in growing older. You have a choice in giving up smoking. Is it so much to ask?

The UN seems to have problems with the Dutch killing old people. Also children that reach the age of 12.

You must see that when the state in control of life and death that the state will tend to make decisions based on what is best for the state.

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are wrong.

Jerome, the NHS is FREE

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So are you going to retract when I find an example of this in the US?

Yes, if you find an example of a person that was refused by every doctor seen and could not legally receive the surgery.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.