Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  05:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Rubicon95

Gorgo, you're right there is no comparison. Bush is gone in 2009. Chavez will be like the energizer bunny tyrant. First he did this in 1999

New Constitution Offered in Venezuela
Published: November 20, 1999
A powerful assembly presented a new Constitution today that critics say would concentrate power in President Hugo Chavez's hands.

The proposed charter extends the presidential term, to six years from five, eliminates the Senate and enshrines state ownership of the important oil industry. A referendum on the Constitution is scheduled for Dec. 15.

Mr. Chavez, upon being presented with the charter, said that he was dropping his plan to add a question to the ballot that would ratify his presidency. Instead, he called for open elections early next year.

A former paratrooper with an anti-establishment and anticorruption message, Mr. Chavez has made replacing the Constitution of 1961 his top priority since taking office in February.

The Constitutional Assembly, overwhelmingly dominated by his supporters, drew up the 350-article document in three weeks.

What this article doesn't say, is that this is similar to some European governments. There is a process for recall, just like some European governments. Chavez is an elected official carrying out needed reforms.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/17/2007 11:32:51
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  11:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by chaloobi

The State needs to control the schools in order to shape the minds of children into minds of good citizens. The issue comes down to what a "good citizen" is and who gets to make that determination.

You really think the state NEEDS to shape the minds of the citizens?
Of course it does. The state needs citizens with the skills and inhibitions needed to support the economy in a socially stable way. What do you think the public school system - any school system for that matter, is for? You think this is all about helping you and me be all we can be; wax happlily in self-actualization? If that doesn't get in the way, sure.

This is crazy thought.
It is crazy when you think about it.

The state will develop the means to accomplish this task if allowed by the citizens.
Seeing is believing.
The problem comes when the state is run by a tyrant in the future and the system for "shaping the minds" of the children has been previously established.
Correct. This is the problem, always has been, really.

This ideas almost guarantees massive abuse at some point.
I don't agree. Why so pessimistic? The state, our state with our form of government, anyway, has to operate within acceptable cultural norms or they get the boot. Or there's a revolution or something. They don't put anything in school too freaky or parents would rebel. Some do, actually; like with home schooling and private education... though they still have to teach some common, very basic skills and ideologies.

How do you remedy this idea of state controlled indoctrination with the assurance that a some point a despot will rule.
You don't. It is what it is. I don't believe it's assured there'll be a despot in the US's future, though it wouldn't surprise me.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/17/2007 11:28:48
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  07:35:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Pardon Me>

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.