New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:43:28  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I have very bizarre dreams on a semi-daily basis heres one for the therapists around here.

...It begins with me at a friends house, I encourage him to play some Metroid Prime on the Wii (I just rented this game IRL) while I plan on falling asleep. I then go home to go to sleep, forgetting my friend who needed a ride or something from me. At my house the front door is wide open, I rush in to find two anonymous neighbor ladies inside my house and I berate them for their invasion. They have a young daughter with them who is holding something in her hands, I try to force her to show me what's in her hands, convinced that these people are trying to bug my house. She shows me a device which I determine to be a motion sensor of some kind...

I go to sleep in the dream and wake up a bit later to find that I still left the door open, I close the door and realize that the sink is also running and overflowing onto the floor. Two girls I work with are there at this point and they help me begin cleaning up the water. I notice a GIANT dog water dish, like 5 gallons giant on the floor (I have no dog). Looking into the bowl I see a small hole form in the bottom of the dish, which is very baffling. The water begins to drain out the bottom and I determine that a micro-meteor has just struck my apartment and gone through the dish into the downstains apartment. Looking up I see a hole in the ceiling which confirms my suspicions. I pick up the dish to try to stop the leak, but now the entire volume of water is on the floor in the shape of the dish, it slowly flattens out and drains down the hole. Once finished, a dark mist comes out of the hole, my co-worker smells it and says its smoke. The smoke thickens rapidly and I panic sending the co-workers out to wake everyone in the building up. I go back in in a desperate attempt to save some of my possessions, the nintendo was the only thing I remember trying to get to, then I woke up...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It means, get a dog. It will protect you.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:25:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems to mostly be insecurity that your life is spinning out of control, that too many people are making demands of you, and you fear a loss of control due to a natural disaster, such as a fire or flood.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be serious, I sometimes have these dreams that feature the results of some kind of neglect upon my part. (Like getting out of a car when it's still running and in gear, forgetting to flap my arms while flying and then falling, or being a zoo-keeper who accidentally forgets to feed all the animals for a few weeks.)

After such dreams, I often will discover when awake that there is something I've forgotten to do, usually minor.

I think that the brain's process of sorting out a day's short-term memories for commitment to long-term storage during dreaming also involves some kind of checking for things left undone.

I have many times awoken in almost a panic just as I was beginning to dream, and gotten up when remembering some task was not done. Such as leaving a coffee carafe simmering, not setting my alarm for an early appointment, forgetting to pay an important bill, leaving a tap running, a light on, or a space heater going. I think this is related to the sorting of memories, and to dreams.

There may be something you have consciously forgotten to attend to, but that is nagging your mind in REM sleep.

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:58:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You dream that on a semi-daily basis? With that level of detail being repeated on each dream?

That´s very curious!

Sometimes I have dreams that I dream over and over again, however the thing that repeats itself on each is more general. For instance, I often dream of my grandparents´ house but what happens in there is different on each dream.

Or I may dream that I fly using a very complex technique, this technique is similar on each "fly" dream, yet the rest of the dream is not.

I think if I were you I would do a formal visit to a therapist since it seems that your brain is trying to tell you something, or more like yelling something to you.

Cheers
perro de tokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:08:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I only recall the details on dreams that facinate me, however the dreams are regularly that weird and extensive.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:15:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no faith in the abilty to interpret dreams, so the therapist is out the window. I dont need anyone to tell me I have daddy issues or a fear of a tornado strike, when it cannot be verified by any means. It's just as likely that my brain just really wanted me to play metroid and was trying to wake me up.

As for the large number of dreams, I think is because I wake up frequently in the night and also let my snooze go off like 9 times, so I am constantly in a near dream state.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  18:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I have no faith in the abilty to interpret dreams, so the therapist is out the window. I dont need anyone to tell me I have daddy issues or a fear of a tornado strike, when it cannot be verified by any means. It's just as likely that my brain just really wanted me to play metroid and was trying to wake me up.

As for the large number of dreams, I think is because I wake up frequently in the night and also let my snooze go off like 9 times, so I am constantly in a near dream state.
I will have Michelle look at your OP. She is very good at interpreting dreams. Take it with a grain of salt if you like.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  20:20:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pardon? Didn't you ask for interpretation in the OP? I've no "faith" in it, either, but it can be cheap, harmless fun. I think the best interpretations are likely to take into account what science knows about the actual brain functions of dreaming. But even then, interpretations are going to be about as useful as the I Ching, which is to say, either useless or helpful, depending upon whether they stimulate subjective introspection.

BTW, I'm sure you're right about your apparent dream frequency. Waking up often gives one a better chance to rememeber dreams. Some people say they don't dream at all, but they probably just don't recall them. What happens in Dreamland, stays in Dreamland.

Me, only occasionally recall them well, but find them entertaining, and sometimes they also give me practical creative ideas. I designed a computer game in one dream, and it actually worked in real life. A few Moonscape items, including some that people liked, came from dreams, too.

Upon waking today, I vaguely recalled dreaming that I was trying out a new ideas for Moonscape stuff, and that I discovered one whole, rich, new approach I hadn't tried, involving Chick Tracts. Too bad I can't recall WTF was...

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  05:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just dont want to pay to have them interpreted:) Really though who is more qualified to interpret them than I am...

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  05:55:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just dont want to pay to have them interpreted:) Really though who is more qualified to interpret them than I am...

I think that's true as well. A lot of the time, dreams are just nonsense, but I do think it's fun to look at the emotional responses to situations in dreams, and try to figure out what the situations or people represent. I have been told that all people in dreams are representatives of different aspects of ourselves.

You're really a little girl hiding something from yourself. Little girl might be innocence. The flooding might be fear of something out of control.

Or maybe, it's just nonsense.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  06:06:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Me. I am.

BigPapa, your dreams are, obviously to someone as expert in such things as myself, your inner Kwhang telling your outer Kwlong that something is lacking in your spiritual life. There is a vast void in your Kldaxe that has been too long unfilled and you must rectify this if you are to recieve inner peace and enlightenment. The following is what you must do:

Stop surreptitiously kicking your neighbor's dog. It over-promotes secretcy and lends you to accusations of Republicanism, one of your deeply hidden fears. Thus you will conquer that fear.

Mount or join a Crusade against the false teachings of the theocrats, for lo, they would enslave your mind, devour your soul, and show no mercy to your children.

Become as one with the natural world, for without it your soul would perish even before your corpus.

Become a card-carying member of the ACLU, and thus do battle with the forces of evil of all stripes.

Make Sacrifice, a figurative burnt offering if you will, of a young swine annointed with a hot vinagar sauce.

Buy a case of LaBatt's.

Invite me for dinner.

Sweet dreams!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/20/2007 06:10:28
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  06:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a lot of work Filthy, cant I just do it the American way: Ignore the problem and hope it resolves itself.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  07:37:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thats a lot of work Filthy, cant I just do it the American way: Ignore the problem and hope it resolves itself.
Ah well, as you wish...

But as your spiritual advisor, I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to at least do the Sacrifice. A good, pork barbecue and decent beer will go a long way toward satisifying those secret longings for Truth, Justice and Hog Grease.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  18:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So I have very bizarre dreams on a semi-daily basis heres one for the therapists around here.

...It begins with me at a friends house, I encourage him to play some Metroid Prime on the Wii (I just rented this game IRL) while I plan on falling asleep. I then go home to go to sleep, forgetting my friend who needed a ride or something from me. At my house the front door is wide open, I rush in to find two anonymous neighbor ladies inside my house and I berate them for their invasion. They have a young daughter with them who is holding something in her hands, I try to force her to show me what's in her hands, convinced that these people are trying to bug my house. She shows me a device which I determine to be a motion sensor of some kind...

I go to sleep in the dream and wake up a bit later to find that I still left the door open, I close the door and realize that the sink is also running and overflowing onto the floor. Two girls I work with are there at this point and they help me begin cleaning up the water. I notice a GIANT dog water dish, like 5 gallons giant on the floor (I have no dog). Looking into the bowl I see a small hole form in the bottom of the dish, which is very baffling. The water begins to drain out the bottom and I determine that a micro-meteor has just struck my apartment and gone through the dish into the downstains apartment. Looking up I see a hole in the ceiling which confirms my suspicions. I pick up the dish to try to stop the leak, but now the entire volume of water is on the floor in the shape of the dish, it slowly flattens out and drains down the hole. Once finished, a dark mist comes out of the hole, my co-worker smells it and says its smoke. The smoke thickens rapidly and I panic sending the co-workers out to wake everyone in the building up. I go back in in a desperate attempt to save some of my possessions, the nintendo was the only thing I remember trying to get to, then I woke up...

It means to not eat spicy things before going to sleep.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  06:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
--Here's my latest dream I felt was worth writing down, the Andy I reference is an old buddy of mine who is now the bassist for the highly offensive punk band The Meatmen.

So the dream starts with me guarding an abandoned military facility, the place is a massive underground industrial looking place which is well on its way to rotting/falling apart. I explore the many sub-levels of the place which has a few dead ends at the bottom which have been sealed up. The place is really creepy and most creepy is the area near the bottom where it is clear that something used to be chained up, there are four or five spots where something used to be chained and around the corner is a large bathroom/shower/barracks area (complete with some ten year old turds in the busted toilets). At this point I was assuming the place was used for some illegal military experiments on people/animals.

So the next part has me screwing around showing Andy Lucas around the place, which he thinks is really neat-o. What could go wrong, the place is unused/abandoned, right? So we are down at the chains/bathroom area where most of the dream took place and I suddenly realize that the fact the water and electricity still works way down here really bothered me. So naturally Andy goes down to what I thought was the bottom most part and starts poking around, once down there I see what I earlier thought was a sealed door was in fact an elevator which was jammed between this floor and the previously unknown “even lower”. So Andy starts messing around with some control panel on another elevator and of course sets off a loud “oh shit” noise.

We don’t wait to see what happens and bolted upstairs. Sensing urgency, I quickly out pace Andy and when I reach the top I notice I’m one or two turns ahead of him, so I stop to wait. Some other guy from the upper entrance area is there and I see a pair of zombie like torsoless legs walk around the corner. The legs are totally blue, even its loin rags were blue and it was dragging a severed human arm on a rope, I assumed the arm was Andy’s and I quickly made my peace by bolting for the beach which was right outside. Unlike the unfortunate guy I was standing near I realized that we had opened Pandora’s box so I took off, but I did hear him describe the horde which was coming as I ran. So he says something about Jesus, Buddha, Jesuits and Posideon and it becomes clear to me that I am apparently responsible for unleashing all of the ancient gods upon the world along with some Jesuits and others I guess.

So I run through the beach full of soon-to-be fucked tourists and immediately start flying out over the water very fast like Superman, I dipped down under the water line and came back up where the water itself began reaching up to consume me, Posideon (in water form) was trying to grab me now and made a few attempts as I flew evasively, I decided quickly that Posideon was probably trying to kill me so I fled and flew back over the land... and then I woke up.

-I think it's so hilarious that we managed to cause the end of the world by seemingly releasing religion (and a pair of zombie legs) upon it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.