This lizard's not evolved for digesting rubber
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  22:21:15  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unlike certain bacteria, which have recently evolved the ability to metabolize nylon, some critters are taking their sweet time in adapting to feed off humankind's industrial largess.

Mushu, a 12-inch Australian Bearded Dragon lizard ate and failed to digest a 7-inch rubber lizard. My guess is that Moosh didn't appreciate the way the rubber fellow way ignoring him.

Mushu the Bearded Dragon and its rubbery prey.

Mushu reunited with companion, Finley Collins, 7.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/20/2007 00:59:20

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  01:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many lizards will happily canniblize a smaller neighbor and the rubber replica was just the right size for Mushu. No suprise & it's a tough ol' world.

Beardeds make excellent 'pet' lizards. They are large without being tremendous, are omniverous, and have docile dispositions. And, best of all, they look just weird enough to scare an empty bladder into that great-aunt whom you so loath.

The Moosh is definatly female; males are slightly larger and stouter in build, and in most cases don't use makeup.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  02:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured I'd learn a bit after posting that. That is a fine looking lizard. I would keep "horned toad" lizards, (native in San Diego) when I was a kid. This gal has much the same facial look to her, but is far bigger.

Thanks, Fil!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/20/2007 02:54:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  03:14:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a very distantly related, or even a completely unrelated matter, I'd like to add:
Science Daily — The discovery of the first anatomically modern ear in a group of 260 million-year-old fossil reptiles significantly pushes back the date of the origin of an advanced sense of hearing, and suggests the first known adaptations to living in the dark.

Not tryin' to 'jack the thread; it's just that I found this yesterday and didn't think opening a whole, new topic with it would be all that productive. I find it fascinating but that can't be taken to mean that everyone does, more's the pity.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  03:27:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much of a thread to jack, Fil. Thanks for that interesting evolutionary news. Also, it'd never occurred to me to think of the connection between hearing and nocturnal living. Though it seems obvious after the fact.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  20:27:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son has a bearded dragon, easy to keep and feed. Dumb as a stump, but whaddaya expect?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.