"Hobbit" wrist bones show it was non-human
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  02:14:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new study covered in LiveScience compared three particular wrist bones in modern humans, Neanderthals, chimps, and the Flores "hobbit." The result is a conclusion that the Hobbit is a much more primitive creature, with a wrist closely resembling the chimpanzee. There are no known wrist bones from Homo erectus, so no comparison could be made to those.
Evidence in Hand That 'Hobbit' Was Not a Modern Human

By Jeanna Bryner, LiveScience Staff Writer

A smoking gun that could snuff out a hot debate over skeletal remains dubbed "the hobbit" is in hand, literally, according to a group of scientists.

Three wrist bones provide key evidence supporting the argument that fossil remains of an ancient, undersized individual represent a new hominin species that walked the Earth with modern humans, say the study scientists.

The wrist bones resemble those in apes more than those in humans, the researchers write in the Sept. 21 issue of the journal Science.

A visual comparison of the hobbit's wrist bones scaled to the same size as those of a chimpanzee and a modern human. The colors indicate where other bones touch those surfaces. Credit: Science

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  03:54:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously, like Neandertal, they were fully human and suffered from arthuritis & ricketyits. Also microcephalia & shortroundism.

Thanks 'mooner! I'll be watching the usual suspects for their commentary. Hopefully it'll be something original & amusing rather than the same, dull, old tripe.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/21/2007 04:10:13
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  04:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Obviously, like Neandertal, they were fully human and suffered from arthuritis & ricketyits. Also microcephalia & shortroundism.

Thanks 'mooner! I'll be watching the usual suspects for their commentary. Hopefully it'll be something original & amusing rather than the same, dull, old tripe.

Good! Be sure to report your findings! The Creationists' quick, knee-jerk idiocy always provides an enjoyable humorous aside each time science laboriously learns something new.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Probably caused by jerking off too much.

Makes you blind too.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  11:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I missed the pool but here's AiG's carefully reasoned response; pretty much as predicted, really:

At this point, it seems the debate will go on in evolutionary circles; without more specimens, it is impossible to determine if this hobbit was abnormal or not, and scientists can only speculate on the degree to which disease could have altered the hobbit skeletal structure. All this underscores the difficulty of unearthing bones and trying to recreate the past without actual eyewitness accounts of what went on. For this reason, presuppositions are at the heart of how anyone reconstructs the past and interprets artifacts in the present. Starting with the presuppositions of uniformitarianism and Darwinism, some scientists hypothesize numerous species, even where only one is actually necessary; these scientists promote artists' reconstructions that decorate sparse bones according to leading evolutionary theory (e.g., making Lucy look more human than she was and making Neandertal man look more ape than he was).
It's the second article, but do read the first. That one's a neat apologetic concerning the velociraptor feathers, that 'mooner put up in an earlier thread.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  12:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard about this a few days ago on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14546763

The report is work listening to just to hear the excitement in Matthew Tocheri's voice.

Researcher Matthew Tocheri, who studies wrist bones at the Smithsonian Institution, was shocked when he saw the wrist bones of the Hobbit.

"I opened up the container and I pulled out the bones and, wow, I couldn't believe it. I was like — is somebody putting me on? These are completely primitive," says Tocheri.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/30/2007 12:07:37
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  19:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love how science works. It looks as though this wrist-bone study has pretty much demolished the "modern microcephaly" hypothesis for the Flores remains.

The hobbit was no human "pin-head." Now we know that modern humans co-existed with Neaderthals and hobbits, and that the most primitive of the two lasted almost until modern times! I suspect that we may find there were other near-humans around after Homo sap appeared on the scene.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/01/2007 19:39:38
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:09:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
The result is a conclusion that the Hobbit is a much more primitive creature, with a wrist closely resembling the chimpanzee.
Primitive? You mean better suited for other purposes than the human wrist, right? For tree climbing, a monkey wrist is much better suited (more advanced?) than the human wrist. We can be so anthropocentric - things that are more like us are more advanced. Things that are less like us are primitive. Is a Polar Bear more advanced or more primitive than a Grizly Bear? I suppose it would help to have a standard definition of what characterizes something as primitive.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

The result is a conclusion that the Hobbit is a much more primitive creature, with a wrist closely resembling the chimpanzee.
Primitive? You mean better suited for other purposes than the human wrist, right? For tree climbing, a monkey wrist is much better suited (more advanced?) than the human wrist. We can be so anthropocentric - things that are more like us are more advanced. Things that are less like us are primitive. Is a Polar Bear more advanced or more primitive than a Grizly Bear? I suppose it would help to have a standard definition of what characterizes something as primitive.
It's a term the paleontologists use. Not in a value sense, but in comparing earlier hominids and chimps to humans. I agree, what's advanced for a monkey are hands that work like good hooks.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:59:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's a term the paleontologists use. Not in a value sense, but in comparing earlier hominids and chimps to humans. I agree, what's advanced for a monkey are hands that work like good hooks.

So they are thinking in terms of when the characteristics appeared / disappeared. Earlier is more primitive than later....

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  11:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So they are thinking in terms of when the characteristics appeared / disappeared. Earlier is more primitive than later....
That's what I suppose. But it might be a sort of "fossilized" term from the early physical anthropology days, when monkeys, apes, and man were ranked by achievement. Even if so, they don't mean "primitive" in that sense these days.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From an old TalkOrigins feedback
From a reply by John Wilkins
"Primitive", in evolutionary biology, means something different from what it means in ordinary conversation. For a long time, western thinking has treated anything different to the western way of thinking as "primitive", meaning less developed than western thinking. This isn't what it means in biology.

In evolution, a trait is primitive if it is something that the ancestor of modified descendent had. Hence, having four limbs is primitive for snakes, who now have none. Having no legs is "derived" for snakes.

TalkOrigins Archive
Evolving Thoughts, Jon Wilkins blog
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:41:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Primitive" is mere terminology and only means that something was around before something else that evolved from it -- I can't believe I wrote that....

What the hobbit wrist signifies is that it was, not necessarly transitional, but an earlier form of our own that worked just fine.

Heh, the usual suspects are remarkably quiet on this one, although I haven't checked them today. Could it be that they are having difficulty with their apologetics? AiG's little denial was pathetic.

I'm now waiting for someone to shout fraud.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:47:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

From an old TalkOrigins feedback
From a reply by John Wilkins
"Primitive", in evolutionary biology, means something different from what it means in ordinary conversation. For a long time, western thinking has treated anything different to the western way of thinking as "primitive", meaning less developed than western thinking. This isn't what it means in biology.

In evolution, a trait is primitive if it is something that the ancestor of modified descendent had. Hence, having four limbs is primitive for snakes, who now have none. Having no legs is "derived" for snakes.

TalkOrigins Archive
Evolving Thoughts, Jon Wilkins blog
Thanks for that!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:38:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From John Hawks : Paleoanthropologist Teuku Jacob dies at 76
Indonesia's "king of paleoanthropology," Teuku Jacob ruled over a vital collection of hominid fossils....On 17 October, at the age of 76, the professor emeritus and former rector of Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta died of liver problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.