Politics
 Update: Ministry of Infromation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  06:49:30  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather: Government influencing newsrooms

Somebody, sometime has got to take a stand and say democracy cannot survive, much less thrive with the level of big corporate and big government interference and intimidation in news.

I would be in a position to know.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  08:39:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Somebody, sometime has got to take a stand and say democracy cannot survive, much less thrive with the level of big corporate and big government interference and intimidation in news.

Yeah, I read that at Raw Story. But you should provide a link for those who haven't.

It's kinda/sorta old news, really. It is common knowledge that corporate news organizations are solidly in the corporate/Republican camp, as witness the treatment they gave to the last several Democrat presidential contenders. I think it'll soon come back to bite them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  08:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Yeah, I read that at Raw Story. But you should provide a link for those who haven't.

It's kinda/sorta old news, really. It is common knowledge that corporate news organizations are solidly in the corporate/Republican camp, as witness the treatment they gave to the last several Democrat presidential contenders. I think it'll soon come back to bite them.

Opps! LINK!

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  10:57:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one time, the networks owned the networks. In those days the news was a matter of prestige rather than a source of revenue. News departments were largely left alone by the heads of the networks and mostly independent. They ran at a loss, but earned the networks the prestige that they sought, which in those days was reward enough.

As time went on, the networks were bought by large parent companies that saw two new ways to use the news. The first one was to force the news departments to not report on anything that might be damaging to the parent corporation, or “friends” of the parent corporation. The other was to transform the news departments into operations for bringing in revenue.

What has transpired from there is what we have now. Television news is largely geared to entertain and not rock the boat, with both eyes on ratings and the bottom line. What we see as worst case for that is Fox News, owned by the Murdock conglomerate. They absolutely pander to their audience with an agenda that is nothing short of propaganda presented as news in a format that is very entertaining, if you are inclined to buy what they are selling.

But again, they are just worst case. None of the networks have escaped. None are as independent as they once were. All of them must now pander to their target audience and not piss off the corporation that owns them. All of them are competing for share, which translates into dollars, and to hell with prestige.

Sure there are shows we like. I like Anderson Coopers 360 on CNN. But those shows are just bones they throw out to get old curmudgeons like me to watch at least a few of the commercial breaks and in the hope that I will hang around to watch the rest of their tripe.

The one exception to the above is The News Hour on PBS. But who watches that?

Ernie Kovaks once said "TV is called a medium because it is neither rare nor well done." That is truer now then ever before…

I would like to say that written news has faired better. And I suppose to some extent it has. But not by much. And they are getting worse as time goes by. What are the investigative journalists investigating these days? Certainly they did not look very deeply into the claims of the current administrations reasons for attacking Iraq and other misdeeds. Where are the Carl Bernstein's and Bob Woodward's of today? And what paper has the balls that the Washington Post had to run with the story that they investigated which forced the other press organizations to follow?

And you know what Jerome? It wasn't the government who put the brakes on the kind of journalism we once took for granted. At one time, the news organizations were willing to say “fuck ‘em” if that was where the story went. And to some small extent, that kept the government honest. At least in those days, the president had to worry about being busted. No, it was the news originations themselves that did that out of fear of being wrong, out of fear of pissing off the boss, and out of fear of pissing off their readership.

If our first amendment rights are in danger of being lost, it will not be because of the government. It will be because the people we trust to give it to us straight have turned into a pack of lapdogs, and wimps afraid of their own shadow. If a free press does not exercise its freedom, which is still protected by the constitution, where should we to turn to for those who will?

A bit of a rant, that...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  12:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

At one time, the networks owned the networks. In those days the news was a matter of prestige rather than a source of revenue. News departments were largely left alone by the heads of the networks and mostly independent. They ran at a loss, but earned the networks the prestige that they sought, which in those days was reward enough.

As time went on, the networks were bought by large parent companies that saw two new ways to use the news. The first one was to force the news departments to not report on anything that might be damaging to the parent corporation, or “friends” of the parent corporation. The other was to transform the news departments into operations for bringing in revenue.

What has transpired from there is what we have now. Television news is largely geared to entertain and not rock the boat, with both eyes on ratings and the bottom line. What we see as worst case for that is Fox News, owned by the Murdock conglomerate. They absolutely pander to their audience with an agenda that is nothing short of propaganda presented as news in a format that is very entertaining, if you are inclined to buy what they are selling.

But again, they are just worst case. None of the networks have escaped. None are as independent as they once were. All of them must now pander to their target audience and not piss off the corporation that owns them. All of them are competing for share, which translates into dollars, and to hell with prestige.

Sure there are shows we like. I like Anderson Coopers 360 on CNN. But those shows are just bones they throw out to get old curmudgeons like me to watch at least a few of the commercial breaks and in the hope that I will hang around to watch the rest of their tripe.

Ernie Kovaks once said "TV is called a medium because it is neither rare nor well done." That is truer now then ever before…

I would like to say that written news has faired better. And I suppose to some extent it has. But not by much. And they are getting worse as time goes by. What are the investigative journalists investigating these days? Certainly they did not look very deeply into the claims of the current administrations reasons for attacking Iraq and other misdeeds. Where are the Carl Bernstein's and Bob Woodward's of today? And what paper has the balls that the Washington Post had to run with the story that they investigated which forced the other press organizations to follow?

And you know what Jerome? It wasn't the government who put the brakes on the kind of journalism we once took for granted. At one time, the news organizations were willing to say “fuck ‘em” if that was where the story went. And to some small extent, that kept the government honest. At least in those days, the president had to worry about being busted. No, it was the news originations themselves that did that out of fear of being wrong, out of fear of pissing off the boss, and out of fear of pissing off their readership.

If our first amendment rights are in danger of being lost, it will not be because of the government. It will be because the people we trust to give it to us straight have turned into a pack of lapdogs, and wimps afraid of their own shadow. If a free press does not exercise its freedom, which is still protected by the constitution, where should we to turn to for those who will?

A bit of a rant, that...
Hear hear!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  18:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

A bit of a rant, that...

If I may.

The political thoughts of news reporting was displayed and apparent in America prior to your remembrance. It is a new idea that the news is reporting facts from a neutral perspective. This idea; if we have any understand

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  21:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

What does this mean? I'm referring to your text, not the quote.

Your grammar is ambigous, at least to me.

You would be? ( if... )
You are?

And to know what, specifically?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.