Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  07:32:27  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Western Civilization instructor at Southwestern Community Community College in Red Oak, Iowa, was fired for saying the story of Adam and Eve should not be taken literally.
A community college instructor in Red Oak claims he was fired after he told his students that the biblical story of Adam and Eve should not be literally interpreted.

Steve Bitterman, 60, said officials at Southwestern Community College sided with a handful of students who threatened legal action over his remarks in a western civilization class Tuesday. He said he was fired Thursday.

"I'm just a little bit shocked myself that a college in good standing would back up students who insist that people who have been through college and have a master's degree, a couple actually, have to teach that there were such things as talking snakes or lose their job," Bitterman said.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  07:49:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bitterman said he called the story of Adam and Eve a "fairy tale" in a conversation with a student after the class and was told the students had threatened to see an attorney. He declined to identify any of the students in the class.

What the hell would a student sue for?

Man, these fundys sure have a thin skin and little faith. If anything, the students who were so "offended" should have stood up for their belief and present a cogent argument as to why talking snakes and all powerful fruit actually existed.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  10:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another article, from Inside Higher Ed:
On Thursday, he said, Linda Wild, a vice president, called him, told him that several of the students and the parents had threatened an unspecified lawsuit, and fired him. Bitterman said Wild said he would be paid for the sessions he had taught and no more. “She said that the parents said that I was there to teach history and not religion and that she agreed,” Bitterman said.
[MY emphasis.] The problem is, she and the students and parents wanted Bitterman to tech their religious myth as history. All Bitterman did was deny the myth was history. These fundy jerks want their particular religion forced down the throats of all students in a tax supported public institution, as history. And they scream that any secular presentation is "religion" itself. Lying bastards!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/25/2007 10:44:42
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  11:36:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a college professor, years ago mentioning in class the Adam and Eve story as an analogy with aspects derived from Greek myths. (Loss of innocence via the "tree" of knowledge.) i.e. We sometimes are willing to pay a price for gaining knowledge, symbolized by the apple of knowledge offered by good old "free will" Satan, the price being: loss of innocence - (innocence symbolic of paradise.)

This was just a passing comment our professor made while discussing analogies in general. No one was offended nor batted an eye. It was in fact, an interesting insight to our young minds.

That Southwestern Community College in Red Oak, Iowa must be totally screwed.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  13:49:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't American Evangelicals and otherwise religiously insane decide on one state in USA, take it over and leave the rest of the US population in peace? They can then leave the Union and become their own backward theocracy, and USA can reclaim it's place as a leading nation of the world.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/25/2007 13:49:45
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  14:04:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame whoever wrote in the Bible that the religion should be spread to the Gentiles.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  14:09:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You never hear of people in the US getting fired for saying that stories about Krishna are not to be taken literally!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  17:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, I absolutely do not think the teacher should be fired or punished in any way. There should be exposer to ideas which make others uncomfortable in the college setting.

Having said that.

I have been maligned for misrepresenting my thread titles recently. I would like to point out this is a fact for this thread.

Instructor wouldn't teach Adam & Eve, is fired

Bitterman's Tuesday course was telecast to students in Osceola over the Iowa Communications Network. A few students in the Osceola classroom, he said, thought the lesson was "denigrating their religion."

Again, I have no problem with the professor denigrating anyones religion; it is that the title belies the facts presented in the article.

Fair is fair.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  17:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Another article,
The first comment below the article is clearly a voice of reason.
Unfortunately, the literalists are the most vocal and reactionary. Their shouting down of those who disagree with them closes off any real discussion and understanding of these ancient texts, and atrophies the Christian faith.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  17:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

First off, I absolutely do not think the teacher should be fired or punished in any way. There should be exposer to ideas which make others uncomfortable in the college setting.

Having said that.

I have been maligned for misrepresenting my thread titles recently. I would like to point out this is a fact for this thread.

Bitterman's Tuesday course was telecast to students in Osceola over the Iowa Communications Network. A few students in the Osceola classroom, he said, thought the lesson was "denigrating their religion."

Again, I have no problem with the professor denigrating anyones religion; it is that the title belies the facts presented in the article.

Fair is fair.
No, Jerome, this thread title is perfectly accurate. How did the teacher "denigrate" the students' religion? By not teaching that Adam and Eve were historical personages. So it's the same thing.

This is unlike your thread titles, where what you claim in the headline is a total misrepresentation of whatever actually occurred.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/25/2007 17:58:52
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:04:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert
No, Jerome, this thread title is perfectly accurate. How did the teacher "denigrate" the students' religion? By not teaching that Adam and Eve were historical personages. So it's the same thing.

This is unlike your thread titles, where what you claim in the headline is a total misrepresentation of whatever actually occurred.

You did not read the article based on your response.

You are a mockery every time you respond to me.

Why do you?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:17:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I did. But unlike you, I understood it. The teacher refused to teach the story of Genesis as historic fact, and instead taught it as a myth or fairy tale, exactly as any educated professor should. He also gave no single religion preference in his classroom, as is in keeping with the US Constitution. Only creationists could find such impartial, common sense treatment "denigrating" to their religion. The only thing the professor did wrong was acquaint those students with reality.

You are a mockery every time you respond to me.

Why do you?
You spout a misunderstanding, half-truth, or untruth every time you open your mouth. I'm just compelled to correct you.

You don't really expect your nonsense to stand unchallenged, do you?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/25/2007 18:18:57
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:47:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fair is fair.
Are you kidding? HH is totally right here. The professor in question lost his job because he argued that "the biblical story of Adam and Eve should not be literally interpreted." This is only "denigrating" if you're such a complete fundamentalist that even suggesting that your factually-challenged religion may not be literal is somehow a grave insult. In most rational circles, though, this isn't the case. The title as it reads is a fair one:

Instructor wouldn't teach Adam & Eve [as a literal truth and so] is fired

If he had, for instance, said that Adam and Eve were sadists interested performing lewd sex acts with animals and regularly spoke of their love of the forked-tongue snake, then you would be right that the title is misleading. But unless you're going to seriously argue that a person suggesting that, say, the Tower of Babel is a myth is "denigrating" Christianity, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:50:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Of course I did. But unlike you, I understood it. The teacher refused to teach the story of Genesis as historic fact, and instead taught it as a myth or fairy tale, exactly as any educated professor should. He also gave no single religion preference in his classroom, as is in keeping with the US Constitution. Only creationists could find such impartial, common sense treatment "denigrating" to their religion. The only thing the professor did wrong was acquaint those students with reality.

It is a shame you can not understand the meanings of words when combined to create a sentence.

At best, one could get from reading the article that he was fired for teaching that the bible was a fictional tale. There is nothing that would lead one to believe that the teacher was required to and refused to teach Adam and Eve as fact. This is the idea of the headline of the post.

Do you have any idea that you are making my point concerning headlines?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
Are you kidding? HH is totally right here. The professor in question lost his job because he argued that "the biblical story of Adam and Eve should not be literally interpreted." This is only "denigrating" if you're such a complete fundamentalist that even suggesting that your factually-challenged religion may not be literal is somehow a grave insult. In most rational circles, though, this isn't the case. The title as it reads is a fair one:

Instructor wouldn't teach Adam & Eve [as a literal truth and so] is fired

If he had, for instance, said that Adam and Eve were sadists interested performing lewd sex acts with animals and regularly spoke of their love of the forked-tongue snake, then you would be right that the title is misleading. But unless you're going to seriously argue that a person suggesting that, say, the Tower of Babel is a myth is "denigrating" Christianity, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Boy, Oh, Boy.

Do you guys even read what I write prior to responding.

I said that the teachers should not be fired and that unconformable thoughts should be talked about in college.

The two of you are arguing against a phantom of your own creation.

The point is; if you would think and reason prior to posting, that almost any headline could be construed as misleading if one cherry picks from the article.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  19:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point is; if you would think and reason prior to posting, that almost any headline could be construed as misleading if one cherry picks from the article.

Oh, I'm quite aware of the point you were trying to make. By splitting hairs with Mooner's choice of words, you're attempting to excuse the dozens of times you've titled your threads with gross misrepresentations of the truth. You aren't a complicated individual, Jerome. Your intentions are as easy to read as a child's when eyeing a cookie jar.

And your attempt has failed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.