Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:50:53  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The head of the Catholic Church in Mozambique has told the BBC he believes some European-made condoms are infected with HIV deliberately.

Maputo Archbishop Francisco Chimoio claimed some anti-retroviral drugs were also infected "in order to finish quickly the African people".

I'm at a loss for words on this one.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eagerly await the Vatican's response to this irresponsible and delusional Archbishop.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  07:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear that condoms evolved from monkies! thats why they have HIV and Ebola.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  07:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, groan! That guy, honestly, could be improved by a nice tarring and feathering. When a bastard with such "authority" makes such a comment, hundreds, maybe thousands, can die as a result.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  08:51:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of people that are dying in Africa because of irresponsible crap like this is horrifying.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  15:29:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's Jerome when you need him to posit a massive conspiracy-- complete with 10-minute You Tube selections!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  20:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's Jerome when you need him to posit a massive conspiracy-- complete with 10-minute You Tube selections!
Ding, dong, the gnome is dead! *happy dance*

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 09/27/2007 20:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  22:30:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess some Catholics have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 19th Century. I think the Vatican now considers condoms acceptable for married couples when one partner is HIV positive. It looks this tiny step in the right direction was too much for this clown's rigid thinking.
It seems that there is no problem in Africa that can not be made wores by morons in high places.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  05:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
of course, it's the condoms, nothing to do with all the butt-fucking

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  07:05:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFC wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? http://www.avert.org/women.htm

Most HIV+ women have been infected with HIV through heterosexual sex. Physically, women are more susceptible than men to HIV infection through heterosexual sex, and this fact alone means that special attention must be paid to protecting them if they are not to be disproportionately affected by the epidemic.

Information drawn from different studies shows that during heterosexual sex, women are about twice as likely to become infected with HIV from men as men are from women. This is a major reason why women have caught up so rapidly with men when it comes to figures for the numbers of HIV+ people.

Lots of the women getting HIV in Africa are married. But cheating is common all over the world, and more common among men.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_africa#Religion
According to the latest 2001 national census, Christians accounted for 79.7% of the population. This includes Zion Christian 11.1%, Pentecostal (Charismatic) 8.2%, Catholic 7.1%, Methodist 6.8%, Dutch Reformed 6.7%, Anglican 3.8%, and other Christian 36%.

In short, many if not most of the people in Africa with HIV or AIDS are heterosexual Christian women who are faithful to their husbands, you bigoted jerk.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  07:23:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Christ would wash your mouth out with soap, if he existed.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  09:55:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
either way, it aint the condoms. That was my main point.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  10:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's not the condoms, it's the organs they go on. Neutering people is obviously the best way to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Now, how do we stop the spread of religion?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  10:29:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's not the condoms, it's the organs they go on. Neutering people is obviously the best way to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Now, how do we stop the spread of religion?

#1. No no no. Neutering is not good enough - they're still walking bags of virus tainted blood, afterall. The infected must be exterminated.

#2. So this guy really thinks that Europeans are trying to exterminate the Africans via AIDS? Well, why not. They're on average less intelligent creatures, you know.

#3. I wonder if his inability to accept the pervasiveness of adultery in the local culture has led him to this outlandish belief. How else to explain the spread of AIDS among Catholics who, being Catholics, don't commit rampant adultery as a matter of course?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  17:23:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

OFFC wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? http://www.avert.org/women.htm

Most HIV+ women have been infected with HIV through heterosexual sex. Physically, women are more susceptible than men to HIV infection through heterosexual sex, and this fact alone means that special attention must be paid to protecting them if they are not to be disproportionately affected by the epidemic.

Information drawn from different studies shows that during heterosexual sex, women are about twice as likely to become infected with HIV from men as men are from women. This is a major reason why women have caught up so rapidly with men when it comes to figures for the numbers of HIV+ people.

Lots of the women getting HIV in Africa are married. But cheating is common all over the world, and more common among men.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_africa#Religion
According to the latest 2001 national census, Christians accounted for 79.7% of the population. This includes Zion Christian 11.1%, Pentecostal (Charismatic) 8.2%, Catholic 7.1%, Methodist 6.8%, Dutch Reformed 6.7%, Anglican 3.8%, and other Christian 36%.

In short, many if not most of the people in Africa with HIV or AIDS are heterosexual Christian women who are faithful to their husbands, you bigoted jerk.

Sigh.

And neither of these groups have the same infection risk as male homosexual sex.

When the methodology of that sex is examined, people who engage in anal sex are at a higher risk for transmitting the disease than all others due to the nature of the act. Anal penetration (gender irrelevant) is a high risk sexual act as the reciever is prone to tearing and the perpensity of condom failures from this activity.

This is not a rant against homosexuality, rather an analysis of the risk factors in HIV transmission. Any activity which increases the possibility of getting the blood or semen into an open wound is an inherently risky activity.

Religion is not a factor in these except for any prohibitions against barrier type birth control methods between heterosexual couples. Claims of religious protection against the disease are likewise absurd. Germs and viruses are not religious.

And I will remind the members of the forums that televangelists are paracites, not germs or viruses.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is true that there is a great difference in the transfer rate between homosexual males and heterosexual women, but that doesn't negate the problem that there is a wide spread problem.
If all homosexual males in Africa suddenly disappeared, there would still be a serious problem, and HIV would still continue to spread. They may have been the ones getting the snowball rolling, but now it's been rolling a while and is picking up speed, fueled by this idiot bishop.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.