Conspiracy Theories
 How much of a problem IS Islam, anyway?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  08:36:32  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.usawakeup.org/

Well, they've got some good informative links on that site, but I've not watched their video or read enough to really figure if it's paranoia or just people being overly cautious.

You can probably guess which site I first found that link from!

Been hanging around with the wrong people too much, I guess.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

just_some_guy

19 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  12:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send just_some_guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I personally think Radical Islam is a very real and dangerous threat to the West(in fact I think it is the greatest danger the world faces today). I think a lot of the danger lies in how many overlook it out of fear of being branded a bigot and a very large portion out of the fear for their own lives and those of their families(in particular families back in their theocratic homelands).

One other reason I think the real danger of Radical Islam does not receive the attention that it should, would be loudest voices trying to warn the West about it, the often morally bankrupt and lunatic fringe Christian-right. Its easy to over look the warnings when some crack pot is calling Islam the Great Satan. However, the signs are there for anyone to see first hand, Radical Islam is trying to encroach upon the democracies and gaining ground all the time, while good people seemingly do nothing outa fear.

These are not people that you can rationalize with , or come to terms and live in peace with, they have had decades of extremist indoctrination, have been told that paradise awaits for any of the faithful that are willing to kill in the name of Allah. You have children on the streets of Muslim countries that dream of becoming the next great martyr and getting their face on a suicide bomber trading card, or on a street billboard.

A must see imho.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  13:50:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Skeptic Friends Network, just_some_guy!
Originally posted by just_some_guy

...morally bankrupt and lunatic fringe Christian-right.
They are the greatest danger facing the U.S. today. The damage done by bombs and airplanes pales in comparison with the horror that can be wrought bloodlessly, beginning with local politics (see Christian Exodus, for example).

Really, any radically dogmatic group is a threat. There are just more fundamentalist Christians here than fundamentalist Islamists.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

just_some_guy

19 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  15:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send just_some_guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the welcome Dave; and yes you are correct in that all fundies pose danger to freedom. I just put the radical Christians not quite on the same slider scale of evil in my book. Radical Islam gets the score of 11.0 on a one to ten scale in my book and Christian loons get 6.5 as far as the potential damage one can do over the other.

This would be mainly, in my view, that there is at least been reform through out Christianity over the course of the centuries, and not so much with a the greater portion of the Islamic world. Christians in America do speak out against other looney groups of Christians, and make it a point to for the most part to keep the violent radical elements out of it( and openly oppose and report it to the authorities). There has been some elements of fundamentalist Christians doing outrageous things and even resorting to violence in recent years( the murdering of abortion clinic doctors is just one of the things that pops into my head).

Please do not take that as me saying that fringe groups of homegrown fundies pose no threat(One only needs to look back at the Oklahoma bombing), but I see a difference in the organization and the ability of Radical Islam to carry out horrendous acts. They have large state sponsorship backing them and a very large sympathetic/ empathetic silent majority. Whereas I see most Christian radicals merely needing to be exposed to the light of knowledge and truth and they scurry off like the cockroaches they are when the public becomes aware of them and their actions, I see lil'Johny Jihad ready to run back home grab a suicide bomb vest and head out to proclaim victory in the name of Islam.

Now when the Vatican calls for another Crusade/Inquisition against heretics, or a televangelist declares that is the duty of all able bodied Christians to commit martyrdom and the flock starts to listen to them, I might change my stance.

Either way, its pretty clear that religion and more so fundamentalist religion is a real kick to the teeth of those wishing to live in a world in which a person is free to live with out the fear of tyrany.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  16:18:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither the dominant type of Christianinty in the US, nor modern Islam, are religions of peace. In fact, "religion" and "peace" in the same sentence come very near to forming an oxymoron.

The site linked to is definitely exploiting fears of Islamic extremism for the sake of selling a book and to promote the Bushie's theonazi agenda of fundamentalist Christian theocracy.

That being said, there does exist an ongoing war by Islaminc jihadists against the West and against moderate Muslims throughout the world. Far too often, European nations are not doing a good job assimilating their growing populations of Muslims, and these populations are far too much in the thrall of extremist mullahs.

I have not the slightest doubt that Osama would explode a nuclear device in New York City tomorrow if he could. But he can't, as he has no such weapon. Nor will Iran have such a weapon for many years, by most estimates. (The greatest near-term danger of terrorist nukes, in my opinion, is that Al Qaeda and the Taliban may create chaos in Pakistan, and attempt to seize nuclear weapons there. The Pentagon doubtless has a contingency plan to prevent this, but who can be sure it will work?)

The US, Europe, and other non-Islamic or moderate Islamic nations will probably wage a Cold War against radical Islam for many decades to come. It will be a slow, grinding mutual clash involving influence, diplomacy, terror, espionage, sabotage, propaganda and occasional military confrontations.

We live in interesting times.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.