Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:12:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigs don't bother me at all. But I can see why others might not feel the same. Could the display of sigs be made a toggled option by the viewer?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  17:26:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely disagree with OFFC, especially about the avatars. Maybe it is because I'm a visual person, but I like being able to glance and see who it is. I tend to confuse who is who by their names more easily than by their image. I find the labels under the names (SFN Die Hard, new member, Addict, etc.) quite fun, and I always look forward to filthy's signature. I also find it rather ironic that OFFC, who rarely contributes anything other than smart-ass one-liners, is complaining about things which distract from the conversation.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  19:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can already turn off signatures, if you're so inclined. It's a setting in your profile. RTFM OFFC.

Avatars are a different story. If enough people wanted 'em turned off, I suppose it'd be a useful feature. Mind you, unless your requirement had medical implications, I can't see it as a big deal. Personally, I'm with marf, the images are useful for association.

Slide sidetrack: I highly recommend the Adblock Plus add-on for those using firefox. It could even be used to achieve what OFFC wants, although that's not it's intended purpose.

For me, the Quick-reply option is a space waster, but I'm guesing some people use it, so I don't expect it to be banished on my behalf. Scrolling slightly more often is not the end of the world.

The SFN forums are generally pretty clean, in my opinion.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 11/06/2007 19:17:29
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  20:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

You can already turn off signatures, if you're so inclined. It's a setting in your profile. RTFM OFFC.

Avatars are a different story. If enough people wanted 'em turned off, I suppose it'd be a useful feature. Mind you, unless your requirement had medical implications, I can't see it as a big deal. Personally, I'm with marf, the images are useful for association.

Slide sidetrack: I highly recommend the Adblock Plus add-on for those using firefox. It could even be used to achieve what OFFC wants, although that's not it's intended purpose.
There is also a way to block the avatars if you are using a software firewall like Norton Internet Security.
If you are using it, just let me know, and I can check it up when I get home (I'm currently at work where we have an other kind of firewall). I think I've written a post in the Questions and Answers folder about Avatars. I'll go looking for it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  07:22:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for everyone: how often do the AIM, ICQ, MSN and/or YAHOO IM buttons on each post get used? Is having that functionality within a person's profile good enough?

Really: I don't use any of those services, and have only clicked those buttons here by accident.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  07:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Question for everyone: how often do the AIM, ICQ, MSN and/or YAHOO IM buttons on each post get used? Is having that functionality within a person's profile good enough?

Really: I don't use any of those services, and have only clicked those buttons here by accident.

Never used 'em.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  07:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How weird, GMTA... After I wrote my post, I remebered that I once complained about the ICQ-button returning errors when I tried to use it. So I tested it again by trying to send myself a message. However, it wasn't successful.
I was thinking "What's the point of having those buttons if they aren't working..."

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/07/2007 07:37:49
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  07:47:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Never used them either.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:29:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I missed these.....or if they already exist and I am unaware.

Being able to view "all post started by" and "all posts by" would be nice.

A "latest posts" or "recent posts" button which pulls up all threads with unread posts since last visit.

An icon you click to bring you straight to the last unread post in a thread. This would be #1 on my want list.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 11/07/2007 10:30:35
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  03:33:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In the profile is fine.

To be honest, I would never assume that alternative contact info in someone's profile was up to date. Who keeps all their contact information up to date everywhere? It's only in relatively recent times that tools and standards are emerging to make this possible. (e.g. OpenID).

If I want to contact someone through some other channel, I'll send 'em a PM first and see what they'd prefer.

Originally posted by astropin

Funny, I thought you could get these features, but it seems you cant. You can just get non-archived posts by a particular member, and you're not told where in the thread they've posted.

I can't say I'd be a big user of the feature, but it could probably be better achieved by allowing a "thread started by" search in the advanced search page.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 11/08/2007 03:34:08
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  07:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like there's going to be one person, somewhere, using the AIM, ICQ (etc.) buttons, and he/she is probably going to be extremely pissed when they vanish to make my job easier.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  00:40:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had lots of discussions that didn't involve any smartass one liners. oh and please define 'smart-ass'.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
 Moderation Notice 

Please stay on topic. Only post about new features you would like to see in the SFN

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/13/2007 09:41:49
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:57:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS
Originally posted by astropin

Funny, I thought you could get these features, but it seems you cant. You can just get non-archived posts by a particular member, and you're not told where in the thread they've posted.

I can't say I'd be a big user of the feature, but it could probably be better achieved by allowing a "thread started by" search in the advanced search page.
A "find all posts by" would be a great feature. For instance, there were times in the "Iron Sun" threads where I remembered Dave said something I wanted to find, but couldn't remember how far back it was in the conversation. I'm sure you can imagine how tedious it was to flip back through 15 pages of comments per thread, and there was something like 13+ threads, just to find a single quote. Knowing that Dave posted in a particular thread wasn't very helpful in that instance. Like, at all.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:23:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how much more useful will a list of 12,000-plus posts be to anyone?

Better, perhaps, for us to solve our search problems.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.