Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
How did you first find your way to the SFN? (Feel free to elaborate and nostalgicate.)

Choices:
A search engine gave the SFN as a result
I was actively looking for a skeptical community online
I was Web surfing
A friend told me about this place
Stumble Upon / Digg / Reddit / Del.icio.us / etc.
Some SFN member posted a link to SFN in another forum
I was part of a "Total Truth Takeover"
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:29:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got here before there were any search engines. God told me about it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't recall. That's what happens when you futz around with the 'net blind drunk.

Somehow or 'nother I landed on the old forum, hung there for a while, drifted away, then returned to a whole, new format and fewer smilies. Now my foot's stuck in that damned springy metal thingy and I can't shake loose.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/28/2007 12:34:12
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got here because I was creating a forum on my web server for myself on an unrelated topic, and was using Snitz Forum software, and a link to this site was on one of the sites I was looking at for help.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  13:03:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came here by way of a link someone placed in a post in the Discussion Board on the original www.BadAstronomy.com.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:04:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errrm, I co-founded SFN. Guess you all found me...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:36:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the Skeptic magazine and really enjoyed reading it. Some time later I thought I would look it up on line and one of the hits on google was SFN. I thought the name 'skeptic friends network' was pretty funny - so I dropped in and now you can't get rid of me.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it from the links beside Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy Blog

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:56:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I found it from the links beside Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy Blog
I should have thought to make a category for that. Dangit.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  19:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surfing and somehow found some of your fan mail, I think. Read just about all of your fan mail, enjoyed Tommy Huxley's style. Lurked around reading forums for a while and finally decided to join for the SFN member benefits.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  19:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure. I voted for having Googled my way here, though, because that's the usual way I find sites. Once I found SFN, I was hooked, and kept coming back to lurk. Then, when I found out about the "Alberta Indian," early in 2006, I had to share that, and so I registered. I've posted a fair number of times since then.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  00:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone will have to fire Ricky, again. He's the reason I'm here.

I posted something somewhere else about peak oil, Ricky did his evangelising thing and I more-or-less reposted the same message here on SFN.

A pretty boring first post, but it all worked out OK.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  02:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted search engine.

I was googling for Dr. Dino and Young Earth Creationism, and one of the hits was an SFN article that I read and enjoyed. So I started browsing around the site and found the forum.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  02:58:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember now, sort of. I belong to Snake's mailing list, freespeechforfreethinkers at http://groups.yahoo.com. It was a Snake that told me about it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/29/2007 02:59:13
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  08:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend Aug - who is the Executive Director of the Secular Student Alliance - sent me an email linking to a comment on SFN about Larry Darby, the atheist lawyer in Alabama who also now seems to be a white supremacist. Aug and I both know Larry personally and worked with him at Camp Quest (a summer camp for atheist and Humanist kids), so Aug was linking to a comment here to let me know how off the deep end Larry had gone in terms of his radical racism.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  14:29:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually followed Lisa here from BABB during the P-word insurection.

Stayed for the conversation.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.