Wicca Millionaire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  09:16:51  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/02/megamillions.jackpot.ap/index.html

Bartlett, an accountant from Dundalk, said he made a bargain with the multiple gods associated with his Wiccan beliefs: "You let me win the lottery and I'll teach." Both tickets he purchased had numbers chosen randomly from the computer.

The end goal for many religious people in the US. To prosper.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  09:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow - actually proof the Wiccan gods are real!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bartlett said the money won't change him, although he plans to invest in Mystickal Voyage. "I'm going to live my life like I have been," he said.
Dream on dude.

Statistically, the only real question is how bad his life gets wrecked. But then maybe he's one of the few with the character and discipline to avoid the pitfalls of sudding vast wealth.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/01/2007 10:29:42
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  20:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/02/megamillions.jackpot.ap/index.html

Bartlett, an accountant from Dundalk, said he made a bargain with the multiple gods associated with his Wiccan beliefs: "You let me win the lottery and I'll teach." Both tickets he purchased had numbers chosen randomly from the computer.

The end goal for many religious people in the US. To prosper.

Ah, no. I read the original article which appeared early last month where he said he did magick for it to win. This is no different than the Christians asking for a "sign" that they might be able to devote their lives to teaching by a large windfall.

Secondly, there are multiple aspects of the God, not multiple Gods. Likewise the article fails to mention the Goddess, who is just as important as the God. Although I do note that the original did make the same common mistake.

WND must be slowing down on their news releases. This hit all the big papers a month ago.

As chaloobi mentions, how this affects him is based on how he is. Not sure if I could handle it and have my life wrecked by it, but it'd be fun to try. Or, as the mother of a friend of mine put it, "God has shown me how much poverty sucks. Now I'd like Him to show me how much being filthy rich sucks."

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  07:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall reading about a study done in the UK about 5 years ago that poorer and middle-income people who get sudden windfalls of money are on ballance happier than those who do not. I think that's more or less true.

On the other hand I was listening to an NPR program about a guy who's job it was to 'buy' people's lottery winnings - giving them up front money in exchange for title to the long term payments. People do that because they overspend their winnings and end up in vast debt. He painted a picture of people's lives being universally wrecked by the lottery. But of course it's only the wrecked lives he worked with so his anectodal experiences are severly biased.

I like you would like to try getting along with a sudden huge windfall of money. I'm sure I could handle it. :)

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  07:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I would have a problem with a lot of money suddenly. It is a matter of being responsible. Pay off debts, then stick the rest of the money in investments and live comfortably off interest while increasing by reinvesting dividends. Then secure a Living Will to make sure the money is dispersed correctly upon death. Do not give big loans to anyone, especially family, no matter what. And I would still have a job or run my own business - I would not retire.

My work would be more enjoyable knowing that I was working because I wanted to, not because I have to, and that the threat of being fired or the company going out of business is gone.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 10/02/2007 07:44:25
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:03:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

This is no different than the Christians asking for a "sign" that they might be able to devote their lives to teaching by a large windfall.
I agree. This is my point. There are many that do religion to get things and prosper.

Secondly, there are multiple aspects of the God, not multiple Gods. Likewise the article fails to mention the Goddess, who is just as important as the God. Although I do note that the original did make the same common mistake.
I do not know much about this religion. What are the many aspects of God, are they like qualities or different manifistations?
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  17:04:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

This is no different than the Christians asking for a "sign" that they might be able to devote their lives to teaching by a large windfall.
I agree. This is my point. There are many that do religion to get things and prosper.

I do not know much about this religion. What are the many aspects of God, are they like qualities or different manifistations?

Each aspect is just a common name used to focus our minds to the task. Sort of calling on Ra for justice, Isis for a myriad of things, etc. Each unique to the pantheon which the practioner understands the most.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.