I vote 'Nay', 'Nay', 'Nay', and 'Nay'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:15:07  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This post makes me feel like I'm taking a poorly written page out of Jerome's book, but I couldn't help it. This video has captured my interest.

I haven't had the time to look into any further information on this, to either confirm or reject what the video claims. This also is just on the Texas House, so I'd be interested to find out if it happens in others as well.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:58:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's outrageous. I'm sputtering in anger.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  14:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know there are not many voting machines in Canada at any level of the procedure. When citizens vote in municipal, provincial/territorial, or federal elections, we use nothing but a paper ballot. When legislators vote in provincial or federal parliaments they must stand and have their vote recorded visually. I believe that some city councils use an electronic count like shown in the video, But those are small enough that they can easily be scrutinized to see if anyone is pushing someone else's button.

If I were a citizen of Texas I would be outraged and demanding changes.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  14:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw something similar going on in Italy's national parliament, and it was similarly exposed by a TV investigative crew. No idea what happened there. But I sure hope something happens in this example from Texas.

And Ricky-- at least it was a short and to-the-point news clip, and not some random home movie of, say, dull-witted Ron Paul voters in a straw poll claiming that they're being barred from voting because they didn't know how to get their credentials.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  18:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough Cune. I guess I could have titled the thread, "Congress supports voter fraud", in true Jeromeian style.

I've been trying to search for any more information than what was provided in the video, but all I get are links to the video and forums talking about it. It is surprising that no online news has anything on this.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  00:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least this way the members are voting. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as each member verifies their own vote.

From the keyetv.com web site:

Statement from Alexis DeLee, Spokesperson for House Speaker, Tom Craddick:

"Since the membership has adopted the requirement for a record vote on 3rd reading, it is probable that members may vote for other members when they leave the floor to eat, meet with constituents or go to the restroom. Like many House rules dealing with the interactions between members, we leave the enforcement of the rules to the good judgment of the members. Members shouldn't be voting for members who aren't here, but if they do, everyone has the right to ask for a verification vote. A member may always lock their voting machine and take their key when they are off the floor so they may not be voted in their absence. When a verification is called and a member is not found, the House Sergeant's office locks their machine and takes their key. When strict enforcement is asked for by a house member, the Speaker allows each member time to get to their desk to vote."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.