Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  22:27:08  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's how Creationists are presently brainwashing their kids in "Christian" schools. This example is scanned from article, "One Universe, Under God," in the October 2007 issue of the "Discover" print magazine.

This bullshit is truly child abuse. It's far worse to actively teach such anti-science lies than it would be to avoid teaching the issue of origins altogether. They want their children to grow up not merely ignorant, but as fanatics filled with falsehoods and fear and hatred of real knowledge. Given a chance, many of these fundies would like to do this to all children in public schools as well.

This is supposed to be a "biology" text:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/03/2007 22:50:50

Jumbo

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  01:42:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jumbo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesnt it say it all that a creationist 'high school text' is actually a comic book. Im just surprised that is doesnt remind you to keep your colouring wihtin the lines whilst ensuring you dont try to think for yourself.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  02:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good points. And if they are going to do a humorless "comic," I would suggest that they at least make their lies more dramatic, like in Chick Tracts.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/04/2007 02:52:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:10:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad and yet hilarius! These mooks can't even get their relationships right!

A Beka Books, eh? I'll have to look them up, for The Lord sayth, "Let no religious liar go unchallenged for they shalt befoul the mind, deplete the spirit and steal from the collection plate."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:26:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got 'em. I knew that name sounded familiar -- they've been around for a long time.
Three decades ago, God raised up A Beka Book to provide Christian schools with God-honoring, high-quality textbooks and teaching aids to help each school fulfill the goal of its ministry. The hundreds of traditional Christian educational materials developed by A Beka Book have been developed and refined over a period of 50 years in the classrooms of Pensacola Christian Academy. Christian schools throughout the nation recognize that A Beka Book sets the standard of excellence in the publishing of textbooks and other materials for Christian schools.

At A Beka Book, we are unashamedly Christian and traditional in our approach to education.

The A Beka Book approach to Christian education keeps learning lively, interesting, and memorable. Our materials reflect sensible theory that is firmly anchored to practicality. A Beka Book materials have been developed as a result of 50 years of actual classroom experience in Pensacola Christian Academy, one of America's largest and most respected Christian day schools.

Who knew that whitebread such as this would steal so blatantly from the minds of children and the pockets of their parents?

And what is it with Pensacola FL, anyway? There seems to be an inordinate number of drooling, religious dingbats stationed there. Has the shallow end of the gene pool relocated?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  04:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Assumedly?" This is, somewhat literally, holy crap.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  04:48:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys forget that these Fundies are dealing with very serious issues. While we are merely concerned with actual knowledge in these very short lives of ourse, they are concerned with the disposition of their children's souls for eternity. That is a huge responsibility and it's worth embracing ignorance and stupidity if necessary. It's worth killing for. Be thankful you do not bear such burdens.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/04/2007 04:49:59
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is quite ironic that Pensacola, FL (50 miles from me) does indeed have a large number of fundy assclowns, and also boast a quite vibrant homosexual population that swells during spring break and the summer. And yet God has not smitten it off the face of the planet, just sent a few hurricanes that did quite a bit of damage to everyone.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just in case someone who is lurking here might be inclined to take that Creationist textbook page at face value, I have made an attempt to refute it, below:

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

It is quite ironic that Pensacola, FL (50 miles from me) does indeed have a large number of fundy assclowns, and also boast a quite vibrant homosexual population that swells during spring break and the summer. And yet God has not smitten it off the face of the planet, just sent a few hurricanes that did quite a bit of damage to everyone.
God very often waits until after sinners are dead to punish them. This is why you should feel fine that very bad men like G. W. Bush never seem to be held accountable for all the very bad things they do -- indeed they often seem to be materially rewarded for their mis-deeds. But God will punish them after they die, so don't fret over it and don't spend too much effort looking for justice in life.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

God very often waits until after sinners are dead to punish them. This is why you should feel fine that very bad men like G. W. Bush never seem to be held accountable for all the very bad things they do -- indeed they often seem to be materially rewarded for their mis-deeds. But God will punish them after they die, so don't fret over it and don't spend too much effort looking for justice in life.

If you are fundy-atical, substitute "very bad men like G. W. Bush" for "very bad men like Richard Dawkins".

Half I do like your revisions...I think you should go into publishing (seriously).

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by chaloobi

If you are fundy-atical, substitute "very bad men like G. W. Bush" for "very bad men like Richard Dawkins".

Half I do like your revisions...I think you should go into publishing (seriously).
Thank you. I still plan, one I get "a round tuit," to do something with my HalfTrax.com domain. I want to specialize at the more basic and populist end of skepticism, perhaps doing Chick-like publications. Chick-like in format, but designed to encourage critical thinking, not to stifle it.

My focus would be on working people and the less formally educated. Too many such people have been swept up in the present theocratic hysteria. Being a lifetime blue-collar type myself, I feel there is a serious opportunity to "save" many of the deceived. And to support others in my own situation. I really feel that Filthy and I can't be the only blue-collar skeptics in the world.

Doing this would also fit well with a skill I see myself possessing to a degree: Being able to state complex ideas in common language and in the simplest form to which they can be boiled down.

I think that if we don't help these people learn to think critically, we are all asking for more trouble in the future. These people are actually the biggest victims of the fundies, and can be appealed to on a practical basis to realize as much, I think.

This all would be a real stretch for my abilities, though.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/04/2007 07:25:20
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:30:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
This all would be a real stretch for my abilities, though.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Do or do not... there is no try.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take my spiritual advice from someone who keeps their ear hair trimmed, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'll take my spiritual advice from someone who keeps their ear hair trimmed, thank you.

Heh, name one grand master spiritualist that does that. Jesus doesn't count, since he was perfect and had no ear hair.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The part I liked the best was the illustration of the bear/hyena/weasel relationship. Obviously these turkeys never learned that to find the common ancestor of, say, the seal & the hyena you'd probably have to go back to before or perhaps sometime just after the Permian Extinction, and that animal would look nothing like either (nor, concievably, a weasel for that matter), might not even be close to a mammal, and was certainly not placental.

Science is work. How much easier it must be to simply have a single reference book for all of existance, however much relevance it might lose as time and science advances. All one really has to do to keep up is have some apologetics ready to hand and a little imaginitive wording to make them look/sound good to the rubes. It is rather a pathetic dishonesty, really, but all too pervasive.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.