Yippee! Another fundy scandal, this time at ORU
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  19:12:31  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AP has this one:
. . . Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts, says God is speaking again, telling him to deny lurid allegations in a lawsuit that threatens to engulf this 44-year-old Bible Belt college in scandal.

Richard Roberts is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors' expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter's senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife, Lindsay.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/05/2007 19:13:22

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  19:16:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, all he will have to do is get up on stage, cry like a baby, say that god has forgiven him, and his sheep will do the same.

Fortunately, this could lead to fines, jail time, and/or revocation of any tax-exempt status.

Cornell Cross II, a senior from Burlington, Vt., said he is looking to transfer to another school because the scandal has "severely devalued and hurt the reputation of my degree."

Hah!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 10/05/2007 19:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  19:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my book, these guys (fundie-evanglists) are a notch below child molesters. Sounds like this could be the beginning of Oral's "600 foot tall Jesus" vision zooming-off into the abyss like a deflating balloon.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  21:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Sounds like this could be the beginning of Oral's "600 foot tall Jesus" vision zooming-off into the abyss like a deflating balloon.
For some reason, I was just hit with the image of Ross Perot talking about the giant "pbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbt" sound coming from the mid-west.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  23:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember this:
TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Twenty years ago, televangelist Oral Roberts said he was reading a spy novel when God appeared to him and told him to raise $8 million for Roberts' university, or else he would be "called home."
There were lots of "C'mon home, Oral, supper's ready!" jokes floating around at the time. Don't know if he ever got the 8 mil or not. Probably did; if there's one thing these guys are good at, it's siphoning other people's money.

And spending it! But what is this all all about?
She is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as "underage males."
Is there to be a sex scandle as well? Or is it just plantiff hyperbole.

"All over that campus, there are signs up that say, `And God said, build me a university, build it on my authority, and build it on the Holy Spirit,'" Brooker said. "Unfortunately, ownership has shifted."
Evidently it has, but not really all that far....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/05/2007 23:55:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  01:41:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

She is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as "underage males."

Wouldn't it be interesting if she wasn't looking for teen male lovers for herself, but pimping for her hubby?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  02:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Wouldn't it be interesting if she wasn't looking for teen male lovers for herself, but pimping for her hubby?

You have a nasty turn of mind. Actually, to pick the nit until it bleeds, it should be "procuring."

And why not? These fundie "universities" are pretty cloistered, after all. Who can say what the real situation might turn out to be, for good or ill?

Anyhow, this Linsey gal reads to be a real piece of work, even for a greedhead. It might be that she's single-handedly brought down the Oral Roberts empire armed with no more than a VISA card.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  16:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some more details, this time in a lengthy article by ORU graduate Adam Willard, who relates his own stories, and the comments of other ORU students and employees. Standing out clearly in all this is the fact that none of those Willard spoke to seemed either surprised or doubtful about the accusations against the Roberts.

One representative outrage:
I remember when Richard's oldest daughter, Jordan, by his second wife (Lindsay) first started at Oral Roberts University. She moved on campus (a very short distance from her family's mansion complex), displacing many previous residents in the dormitory wing that she took over. To 'accommodate' their daughter, Richard and Lindsay had the wing she moved into completely remodeled and made available only through private request by their daughter. Part of the remodeling efforts included breaking out one of the walls in her room in order to annex the next room down and make her room double the regular size.

This was all done at the University's expense and I learned of it through an ORU employee who helped do the remodeling work the summer before Jordan arrived and from female students who were removed from the rooms they had previously occupied.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/10/2007 17:18:23
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  02:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there it is:
Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts now faces more shocking allegations in a lawsuit filed against him.

A second petition was filed today in district court that includes the university's Board of Regents as a defendant.

Inside the petition is a scandal vulnerability assessment which contains a web of new allegations.

It claims Mrs. Roberts spent the night in the university's guest house with an underage male on 9 separate occasions.

It states there are 29 photos of Mrs. Roberts and the underage male alone in her sports car after city-wide curfew.
Of course, it's all just allegations at the moment. But in my observation, and if the past is any indicator, this sort of thing tends to snowball as others come foreward with their stories.

If it all turns out to be true, how will it affect ORU? Don't know, but these people are nothing if not survivors.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  04:01:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that news, Fil! My take is that the Roberts reign is over. Oral may make an attempt to officially step back into official leadership, and "clean house," but I doubt that charade will work. The university itself is now at grave risk, thank the FSM. The longer and more effectively the Roberts clan fights for control, the more damage to ORU.

Edited to add this link, where Mrs. Linday Roberts responds to the new allegations. One taste:
"I live my life in a morally upright manner and throughout my marriage have never, ever engaged in any sexual behavior with any man outside of my marriage as the accusations imply."
Quite true, apparently. That was no man, it was a boy!

This is getting to be a really big show! Money, greed, abuse of trust, power, perversion: All the overwrought and exaggerated plot elements that we have grown to expect in a good Old Time Religion meltdown! Yee-ha!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/14/2007 04:26:13
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  13:47:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump: ORU President Richard Roberts is asking for "temporary" leave, I suppose until the dust of his scandal settles a bit.
"I don't know how long this leave of absence will last, but I fully trust the members of the board of regents," his statement said. "They are great men and women who have a deep love for this university and for me and my family. I pray and believe that in God's timing, and when the board feels that it is appropriate, I will be back at my post as president."
Of course, once the dust settles, there may simply be a smoking, 500-foot-deep pit in the ground where ORU once stood. Next, Oral steps back in?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/17/2007 13:50:27
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  03:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And there it is:
Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts now faces more shocking allegations in a lawsuit filed against him.

A second petition was filed today in district court that includes the university's Board of Regents as a defendant.

Inside the petition is a scandal vulnerability assessment which contains a web of new allegations.

It claims Mrs. Roberts spent the night in the university's guest house with an underage male on 9 separate occasions.

It states there are 29 photos of Mrs. Roberts and the underage male alone in her sports car after city-wide curfew.
Of course, it's all just allegations at the moment. But in my observation, and if the past is any indicator, this sort of thing tends to snowball as others come foreward with their stories.

If it all turns out to be true, how will it affect ORU? Don't know, but these people are nothing if not survivors.

It may take a '800 foot tall' law firm to get their asses out of this one.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  03:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Bump: ORU President Richard Roberts is asking for "temporary" leave, I suppose until the dust of his scandal settles a bit.
"I don't know how long this leave of absence will last, but I fully trust the members of the board of regents," his statement said. "They are great men and women who have a deep love for this university and for me and my family. I pray and believe that in God's timing, and when the board feels that it is appropriate, I will be back at my post as president."
Of course, once the dust settles, there may simply be a smoking, 800-foot-deep pit in the ground where ORU once stood. Next, Oral steps back in?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  03:55:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

And there it is:

It may take a '800 foot tall' law firm to get their asses out of this one.

Agreed! I just went back and revised my 500-foot-deep smoking pit to 800 feet. Jesus! Thanks for the correct dimensions.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.