Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Conspiracy Theories
 Worst lunar conspiracy evidence, ever (video)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  20:20:09  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's ridiculous. Someone's trying to pass off bad image data (blurry patches and dead pixels) as structures on the moon.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  21:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While seeing it on Fark is no good sign, the YouTube entry for that video includes the explanation that it's nothing more than a trailer for a full-length documentary (unavailable as of this writing) by none other than Jose Escamilla, of "rods" fame. I suppose with those things so easily debunked, he's had to turn his quite considerable expertise onto something else that's completely reputation-ruining.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  00:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

While seeing it on Fark is no good sign, the YouTube entry for that video includes the explanation that it's nothing more than a trailer for a full-length documentary (unavailable as of this writing) by none other than Jose Escamilla, of "rods" fame. I suppose with those things so easily debunked, he's had to turn his quite considerable expertise onto something else that's completely reputation-ruining.
Some people seem paradoxically most attracted to beliefs which offer the crappiest evidence.

My brother still insists rods are some kind of real "entities," rather than insects viewed through the inadequacies and artifacts of the present generation of video equipment.

But I'm pretty much convinced that he doesn't really believe half the things he believes. He's probably working hard to be a credophile because it's self-rewarding to him. One you've debunked some such crap and he finally accepts the debunking, he "forgets" a few minutes later and is saying the same stuff all over again. A bit like someone we've seen here in recent months, except that my brother has more progressive politics, though always with that paranoid touch.

I hope the full-length version of this moon charade gets laughed at at first, then ignored, at least by everyone but the most hopeless credophiles.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/06/2007 00:34:58
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  05:00:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's going to happen to all these moon hoax people when the US and the Chinese are both on the Moon jumping up and down in Hi-Def TV? Are both countries going to be in on a grand conspiracy then?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  05:37:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago, moon hoaxers at the Bad Astronomy board claimed if NASA would only point the Hubble telescope at Apollo landing sites, the images would show evidences of same. The conspirators claimed those photos would be proof-positive of man's landing on the moon. Other than Hubble, at that 'close' range having a thirty foot resolution, that line of reasoning leaves them trusting the very group they claim can't be trusted in the first place!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the extreme level of pea-brained dumb-assness of the above.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  05:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

What's going to happen to all these moon hoax people when the US and the Chinese are both on the Moon jumping up and down in Hi-Def TV? Are both countries going to be in on a grand conspiracy then?
Sure, and then it becomes a Communist conspiracy.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  07:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by pleco

Sure, and then it becomes a Communist conspiracy.

At that point, SFN should let Jerome back in for his erudite commentary.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  21:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Years ago, moon hoaxers at the Bad Astronomy board claimed if NASA would only point the Hubble telescope at Apollo landing sites, the images would show evidences of same. The conspirators claimed those photos would be proof-positive of man's landing on the moon. Other than Hubble, at that 'close' range having a thirty foot resolution, that line of reasoning leaves them trusting the very group they claim can't be trusted in the first place!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the extreme level of pea-brained dumb-assness of the above.

Randy, if Piper resurrects from obscurity and starts posting here. I will have to smack you.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  22:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least I learned something about how they transmitted the images from one of the comments

Wondering what this is? No, it's not an alien colony. It is a processing artifact in this image of the Moon, which was taken by one of the Lunar Orbiter satellites in the mid-1960s.

The Lunar Orbiter camera system was a marvel of engineering for its time. Built long before the advent of digital sensors, the Lunar Orbiter camera captured images on black and white film that was developed on the spacecraft and then scanned with an electron gun and photo-multiplier tube, one strip at a time. The image data was then beamed back to earth as a TV signal where another system exposed film on the Earth to match the film in space, and this transfer back to film was developed using another chemical process. The entire apparatus for capturing, processing, scanning, and transmitting the photographs was all housed in a pressurized, thermally controlled container. Needless to say, there were many opportunities for imperfections to creep in.

Surprisingly, the Lunar Orbiter images are still the best images available of much of the Moon, and this is one of many reasons why NASA and other space agencies are sending a new generation of satellites to the Moon over the next few years.

You can learn more about these artifacts, and the work currently underway to digitally scan all the old Lunar Orbiter imagery, from the U.S. Geological Survey.

They were actually processing film on board the lunar orbiter.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  01:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

At least I learned something about how they transmitted the images from one of the comments

Wondering what this is? No, it's not an alien colony. It is a processing artifact in this image of the Moon, which was taken by one of the Lunar Orbiter satellites in the mid-1960s.

The Lunar Orbiter camera system was a marvel of engineering for its time. Built long before the advent of digital sensors, the Lunar Orbiter camera captured images on black and white film that was developed on the spacecraft and then scanned with an electron gun and photo-multiplier tube, one strip at a time. The image data was then beamed back to earth as a TV signal where another system exposed film on the Earth to match the film in space, and this transfer back to film was developed using another chemical process. The entire apparatus for capturing, processing, scanning, and transmitting the photographs was all housed in a pressurized, thermally controlled container. Needless to say, there were many opportunities for imperfections to creep in.

Surprisingly, the Lunar Orbiter images are still the best images available of much of the Moon, and this is one of many reasons why NASA and other space agencies are sending a new generation of satellites to the Moon over the next few years.

You can learn more about these artifacts, and the work currently underway to digitally scan all the old Lunar Orbiter imagery, from the U.S. Geological Survey.

They were actually processing film on board the lunar orbiter.
That I hadn't known. That seems an incredibly primitive kludge of a process, compared to what we take for granted these days. It reminds me somewhat of the first fax machine I ever saw: To receive, a thick, silvered sheet of paper was placed around a swiftly rotating aluminum drum. An electrified stylus moved slowly from one end of the drum to the other, zapping darks spots on the paper, sort of like a seismograph. Typed text was quite readable, though.

To send, the process was reversed, using a single light sensor cell and a small lamp on the moving stylus.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.