Conspiracy Theories
 Global Warming Leaves Russians Cold
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:19:56  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Russians seem to like the idea of global warming.

We are not panicking. Global warming is not as catastrophic for us as it might be for some other countries.

If anything, we'll be even better off: as the climate warms, more of Russia's territory will be freed up for agriculture and industry.

I know global warming is a problem, but I would welcome a bit of warmth up here. Then I could grow my own tomatoes.

Another interesting point is the chart showing the knowledge of global warming by country.

The government says it is trying to educate people.

Chock full of reveling quotes.

Moscow's hope is that Western polluters will be queuing up to buy its carbon emission quotas. The money will then go into improving infrastructure and energy efficiency.

Ahh, so the Kyoto treaty with take wealth from western nations and transfer it to Russia.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a point to this?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:28:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Is there a point to this?

Did you notice the photo?

Three points.

1. Russians welcome global warming.

2. Governments are trying to educate about Global warming.

3. Global warming treaties are designed to redistribute wealth worldwide.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:35:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Three points.

So what? Those in New Orleans don't.
Good for them.
Provide evidence that this is the intent ("designed to") and not just a consequence of gaming the system?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Those in New Orleans don't.

Provide evidence that MMGW caused the destruction in New Orleans.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  21:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Provide evidence that MMGW caused the destruction in New Orleans.
I never claimed it did. I said that those in New Orleans don't welcome global warming. The best science we've got shows it will suck for them in a couple hundred years.

Now, quid pro quo, provide evidence that global warming treaties are designed to redistribute wealth.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  00:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three points.

That's because it's freaking cold in Russia. Not really sure what you're getting at with this.

Sure. And... what is your point?

Well that's not their primary purpose so your statement is misleading. It's equivalent to saying, "Automobiles are designed to cause traffic accidents."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  00:49:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, warming's real, but it's just a plot to redistribute wealth, eh? Is that your fall-back position, Jerome?

Look, some areas will have better overall conditions. Many will not. Areas of Russia and Canada may improve, but other areas will have to be evacuated. Russia will get ice-free access to new polar oil fields, and North-East Passage access to ports all along its northern shore. Bangladesh is likely to be doomed as a nation, if not by rising sea levels alone, then by increasing hurricanes.

I seem to recall Mab saying that Sweden expects a local cooling condition. Most of the world's population and much of its agriculture is concentrated in low-lying, coastal areas. Being underwater isn't something man nor beast can rapidly adjust to.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/25/2007 00:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  01:02:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Russia is a major oil exporter and has vested interest in increasing use of fossil fuels. Putin is an old-style communist at heart and there is long history of government interfernce in science their. Lysenkoism anyone?

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  01:52:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Now, warming's real, but it's just a plot to redistribute wealth, eh? Is that your fall-back position, Jerome?

Look, some areas will have better overall conditions. Many will not. Areas of Russia and Canada may improve, but other areas will have to be evacuated. Russia will get ice-free access to new polar oil fields, and North-East Passage access to ports all along its northern shore. Bangladesh is likely to be doomed as a nation, if not by rising sea levels alone, then by increasing hurricanes.

I seem to recall Mab saying that Sweden expects a local cooling condition. Most of the world's population and much of its agriculture is concentrated in low-lying, coastal areas. Being underwater isn't something man nor beast can rapidly adjust to.

The Inuit in Northern Canada are definitely not happy about global warming. Listen to MP3

Ironically global warming will make things awkward for the Canadian Oil and Gas industry since many locations are winter access only due to being in muskeg.

A lot of northern communities rely on ice roads for truck freight - this is already becoming a problem during mild winters.

As for Sweden, melting could significantly weaken the Gulf Stream which would result in significant loacal cooling in most of northern Europe. Stolkholm is just south of the 60th parallel which puts it just south of the northern border of between The province of Alberta and the Northwest Territories. It is the Gulf stream which gives Norhtern Europe it's temperate climate.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  06:38:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, global warming is REAL for Russia, but is not for other countries ("If anything, we'll be even better off: as the climate warms, more of Russia's territory will be freed up for agriculture and industry.")?

You canīt accept global warming when is convenient for your arguments and deny it when it isnīt!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  06:39:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! the religion of global warming denial! I bet youīre a liberal! hehe

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  06:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by perrodetokio
You canīt accept global warming when is convenient for your arguments and deny it when it isnīt!
Well, you can if you aren't hampered by such limiting factors as honesty and moral integrity.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  08:13:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to draw the ire of the moderators, but again when I see Jerome make a post like this I have to wonder is he stupid, insane, a troll or some combination?

The distortions, illogical thought progression and jumping back in forth between positions is almost maniacal.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.