Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, there is a last ditch effort to talk Gore into running for president.

If Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize, Will He Run?
Beyond his prescient comments about the Iraq War and his leadership on global warming, Gore offered erudite explanations of how Bush's arrogation of power marked an unprecedented assault on the U.S. Constitution and the delicate system of checks and balances that the Founders devised to protect the liberties of the American people.

Gore emerges as one of Neck Deep's few heroes, the rare political figure who dared to tell the truth and endure the wrath of Washington insiders.

He is my first choice. I don't think he'll do it, but I wish he would.

[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:42:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You beat me to this thread by seconds. Al rocks!

I don't think he'll run either. He's doing what he believes is the best use for his life. But damn, we need him!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/12/2007 06:43:16
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:55:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Al Gore should run. I've been in favor of drafting him for some time. He'd best make his move pretty soon, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:02:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here is an odd glitch. I could not get the op to post what I posted. It is still posting, no matter how many times I edit it back, the Gore Wins post.

Here is the post that was supposed to be the OP:

Nope. All it will do is repeat the first post from the other new thread that I posted if I include a link or quotes. Very strange. Perhaps someone else can get this info. I can't even provide the link for it...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Beyond his prescient comments about the Iraq War and his leadership on global warming, Gore offered erudite explanations of how Bush's arrogation of power marked an unprecedented assault on the U.S. Constitution and the delicate system of checks and balances that the Founders devised to protect the liberties of the American people.

Gore emerges as one of Neck Deep's few heroes, the rare political figure who dared to tell the truth and endure the wrath of Washington insiders.

See if this works Kil. This is a reply to your first post, but I edited out an extra url tag and anchor text.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:22:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dv82matt

Originally posted by Kil

See if this works Kil. This is a reply to your first post, but I edited out an extra url tag and anchor text.
WOW!!! That doesn't didn't show up on my screen as the OP. I refreshed, changed browsers and still couldn't see it. I am perplexed...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, you had the following in your OP:
[url="[url="
which is what was screwing it all up.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
WOW!!! That doesn't didn't show up on my screen as the OP. I refreshed, changed browsers and still couldn't see it. I am perplexed...
It didn't show up on my screen either until I hit reply to post and then it showed up in the edit box. I think the link is incorrect though.

Edit: Nevermind I see Dave's fixed it.
Edited by - dv82matt on 10/12/2007 07:32:53
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]
Interesting article, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:46:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CASCA: Why, there was a crown offered him: and being
offered him, he put it by with the back of his hand,
thus; and then the people fell a-shouting.

BRUTUS: What was the second noise for?

CASCA: Why, for that too.

CASSIUS: They shouted thrice: what was the last cry for?

CASCA: Why, for that too.

BRUTUS: Was the crown offered him thrice?

CASCA: Ay, marry, was't, and he put it by thrice, every
time gentler than other, and at every putting-by
mine honest neighbours shouted.

Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/12/2007 07:48:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  08:50:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Interesting article, thanks!
A note on that: I just picked the closest thing returned by a Google search for "If Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize, Will He Run?" because the only URL in Kil's OP was the same one as in that other post of his. The one I grabbed may not have been the URL he intended.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  09:46:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish he would run also. I would vote for him in a heartbeat. As things stand now who are most of you leaning towards? I'm still undecided.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:04:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're all the same to me, but if he was to do it, he should do it now. That would give him an extra boost, getting the award that criminals and or terrorists and or imperialists like Henry Kissinger, Menachem Begin and Teddy Roosevelt received.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Abdul Alhazred
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  11:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Abdul Alhazred's Homepage Send Abdul Alhazred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teddy Roosevelt really did made peace to win the prize -- Specifically he brokered an agreement between the Russians and the Japanese, ending a war between them.

In modern times, actual peacemaking has not been a requirement.

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  11:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Abdul Alhazred

Teddy Roosevelt really did made peace to win the prize

Peace for whom at at what price?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  12:45:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good take on it. It rings rings clear & true, and Gore will not run. He'd be a fool to do so.
Gore v. Bush:
Now that Al Gore has won the Nobel Peace Prize (along with the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), the clearest difference between the former vice president and the current president is placed into even starker relief. In essence, Gore has elevated the world as a whole above the United States as a single entity within it. George W. Bush has placed the United States above the world. And Gore's non-electoral ascension, concomitant as it has been with Bush's descent into the miasma of low poll numbers and a destroyed party and disgrace in the world, reveals just how untenable the Bush position is: a nation can no longer succeed in this world unless its ultimate goal is to be part of the world.

Or, to put it another way, Gore won. Again. When the books are written, in the long-term histories of this and other countries, Al Gore will be cherished and George Bush will be crushed like so much real manure on a fake ranch. Gore winning the Nobel Peace Prize does in Bush's seeming obsession with his legacy. And that's due in no small part to the smallness of Bush's thinking compared to the expansiveness of Gore's.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.