Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Is Pear Cable right for the Randi Challenge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  19:25:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It sure is interesting to me how much woo and subjectivity can come into audio. Sure, you experienced audio guys already knew that; not me.

(I do know is that the optical cables I now use on both my stereo and my computer make an extreme and noticeable difference in adding "presence" -- if that's the right word -- compared to my old RCA setups. But that's really a separate issue from the Pear Cable thing. My jump was from easily-degraded analog, to advanced digital signaling. That difference I can distinctly hear. It amazed me. The issue with the cables that the Challenge will test is going to be more of a matter of tiny perceived differences.)

I'm not even sure what kind of cables will be tested. Are these speaker wires, or are they, as I suspect, audio signal patch cables?

They're talking about speaker cables, although one of the proponents did mention patch cables (interconnects) during the discussion with Randi. Pear make 'em all.

There are metric bucketloads of dodginess to choose from for the unwary and/or undeducated audio/video consumer.

Two of my favourites:

1. Speaker cable elevators. Yes, they lift your cables off the floor!

Many of you have already reported tremendous increases in clarity, tonal accuracy, and dynamics with Cable Elevators in place..
The reduction in your account balance is more pronounced, in my opinion.

2. Special markers for your CD's. Does anyone remember these sorts of things? Some had to be put on the disc surface, others said around the rim. I estimate the two methods are equally effective. There are lots of variations on the disc treatment rubbish.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  20:02:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's plenty enough real audio terminology that flies right over my head without even pausing to roost and shit on my skull. I could easily be fooled by total nonsense, thrown in to baffle and exploit me, though cable elevators are a bridge too far even for me. But when they talk about a improving a perfectly good digital signal, this is my turf. You either get a bit, or you don't. There's no "harsh 'edginess'" to worry about in any of 'em. That last one is 100% clearly nonsense even to me, and shame on Stereophile for promoting it!

Sic 'em, Randi!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  11:57:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my VERY humble opinon, there is a lot of marketing rubbish in the HI-Fi world. However, one thing is true: If you have a 2000 dollars system, you probably will not want to spend 5000 dollars in cables for it. That would be really, really idiotic. In the other hand, if you forked out 20000+ dollars on a Hi-Fi system it would be a good idea to spend a few thousanths in cables in order to get better sound, even if itīs just 1% better.

The thing is: Can the quality of these Pear Cables be tested, with instruments? Not just some guy going: Oh Yeah! They sound a lot better!

Cheers
perro de tokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  13:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the audiophile forum I frequent, the general opinion is that about 10% of the entire system's budget should be spent on cables. Of course given that price/performance is taken into account, and not paying extra for a particular brand and such.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  05:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump:

Audio huckters Pear Cable has backed out of the Randi Million Dollar Challenge, at the same time hurling lies and insults at Randi. The reaction online is that they have exposed themselves as scam artists by showing they are afraid of having their cables tested.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/25/2007 05:23:29
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Bump:

Audio huckters Pear Cable has backed out of the Randi Million Dollar Challenge, at the same time hurling lies and insults at Randi. The reaction online is that they have exposed themselves as scam artists by showing they are afraid of having their cables tested.
Well, that's one reaction. The opposite and equally vocal point of view is summed up by a poster named "Steve Eddy:"
On the 15th, after Fremer offered Randi three options as to cables, option three being Fremer using his own cables, Randi stated his preference for option three, "for simplicity," pending the approval of his advisors.

This is where things stood until Pear Cable withdrew their offer.

When this occurred, Randi posted in the "BLAKE WITHDRAWS FROM PEAR CABLE CHALLENGE" news item that not only was the current challenged CLOSED, but went on to disparge Fremer calling him a blowhard and how he had cleverly squirmed out of a huge dilemma.

Now here's the salient point you need to pay attention to.

Randi did all of this in spite of the fact that he had not consulted his advisors nor had he taken option three off the table.

You get that?

Even though he and Fremer were still in negotiation over the cables to be used, he closes the challenge and makes it appear that Fremer had squirmed out of the deal, when the fact of the matter (as if anyone here gives a rat's ass) was that Fremer was simply waiting for Randi to get back to him on his option three proposal.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  11:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm......I sure hope Randy is not back peddling. IMHO (and many years of being an Audio/video enthusiast)Randy would have been safe in this test. It takes some extreme instruments (testing which goes WELL beyond the capabilities of any human ear) to show how Pear Cables are superior to more ordinary Monster. IMHO you are just as good in fact going with adequately gaged copper wire from Radio Shack.....and I'm not kidding about that. Our ears are not so special as to be able to pick up any differences between copper and what Pearl Cable is using. I would love to see ANYONE who could tell the difference in a true double blind test. This audio fallacy has gone on way to long and in the case of Pearl appears to be only getting worse..........a fool and his money.......

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 10/25/2007 11:54:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.