The “Vinegar Boy” Saga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  21:03:10  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a longish page, and for some reason one that sometimes loads slowly. But I think it's a fine read. It's a tale about the nightmarish experience of an Australian retail store worker, who is confronted by a vinegar-drinking boy, and really bad managers.
About 2 pm today, in storms this woman who starts going totally apeshit at me and screaming incoherently while waving around a half-full bottle of malt vinegar.
I had no idea what she was on about and, before I could find out, the police arrived - but I hadn't called them!
Now, I know nearly every cop within fifty miles of my site (I call them all often enough), so when they come in, I greet them by name and they do the same back and tell me they've been called here because of allegations I've poisoned a small child.
Wuh?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/17/2007 21:55:41

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  05:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's good to see bad things happen to bad people, and good things happen to good people - and no mention of prayer anywhere!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  07:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda cool, wasn't it? I wish my own union had always been as good as that guy's. That's what made the real difference for him.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  09:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much you want to bet someone convinced that dumbass kid that "malt" vinegar will get you drunk the same as "malt" liquor? Anyway, great story.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:05:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure this would have worked as well in California where they have passed laws for employment "at will". Employers can hire and fire without giving any reason.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  16:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

I'm not sure this would have worked as well in California where they have passed laws for employment "at will". Employers can hire and fire without giving any reason.
Yeah, the laws here are stacked against employees, and generally, the unions, where they exist at all, are weaker.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

How much you want to bet someone convinced that dumbass kid that "malt" vinegar will get you drunk the same as "malt" liquor? Anyway, great story.

I was thinking the same. Kid maybe overheard some older kids brag about drinking a "malt." Or they simply put him up to it for laughs. Kid needs his first chemistry class, badly.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/18/2007 17:02:11
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:52:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...which is what I love about my own country. If the thing had happened in Sweden, it would have played out about the same.

After a conflict at work about how to adjust payment when transferred to a new postition, the union stepped in and took the case. Since this was a class action, they took it to the highest level of court for work-related cases, and the end result for me was $6200 back pay, and $100/month increase in wage.
Edited to add: That story should be in the arcives, somewhere. I think I told the story here (or at least during chat).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/18/2007 17:53:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  18:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

...which is what I love about my own country. If the thing had happened in Sweden, it would have played out about the same.

After a conflict at work about how to adjust payment when transferred to a new postition, the union stepped in and took the case. Since this was a class action, they took it to the highest level of court for work-related cases, and the end result for me was $6200 back pay, and $100/month increase in wage.
Edited to add: That story should be in the arcives, somewhere. I think I told the story here (or at least during chat).
I envy and honor Sweden on that account. But not for the damned lutfisk.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  18:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"At will" employment, or "right to work," means you can get a job without being forced to join a union, Chip. And without a union contract with a company saying who/when they can fire or hire, an employer can employ as it wishes.

Of course, if you can prove discrimination, you can still win a lawsuit. There are plenty of "wrongful termination" lawsuits in right to work states.

But the Vinegar-Boy situation probably did require a union contract to work out the way it did. While "at will" employers should be forced to be fair employers through getting a poor reputation and being unable to retain employees if they treat 'em like crap, they also know that some percentage of the population will work any job for some amount of time.

There are factory towns where calling in sick is the same as tendering your resignation. There are always lines of people looking to get factory jobs, and training takes all of fifteen minutes, so the employers will obviously find it cheaper to hire a new body rather than lose a day of productivity.

Anyways... the whole Vinegar-Boy story reminds me of The Acts of Gord. A sample:
"That'll be $86.51 for the games including tax."

"How much if I pay with cash?"

"$86.51."

"You don't understand, I want to pay in cash."

"What's to understand? It's $86.51."

"Well, that way you don't have to keep a record. You could, maybe, keep the money for yourself…"

"I see. So I should steal from the owner. Brilliant plan except that part where I steal from myself, as I'm the owner."

"Uhm."

"If you ever plan to rent from me, you will require a credit card."
Hours of fun.

Fixed link.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  18:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, that linked back here to the OP.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.