Searchy Permalinks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  17:24:21  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The permalink code gets messed up if you get to a page by using the search engine.

This is simply because of the asp code used to generate the permalink from the code in the first place.

I may well fix this in my own forum in the near future. If so, I'll post something back here.

John's just this guy, you know.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  18:41:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, on a simple search, the permalink works for me, even if it does highlight the search term (like it shouldn't).

Is that what you mean, or is there another problem of which we should be aware?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:32:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, on a simple search, the permalink works for me, even if it does highlight the search term (like it shouldn't).

Is that what you mean, or is there another problem of which we should be aware?

Hmmm, maybe my problem was just a search timeout, lets see:

What does this do?

Hmmm, it worked OK. I guess it's not really a bug. It's just that the permalink reflects how you found a post, rather than just pointing to the post itself.

For example, the link above point to my post in the "look and feel" thread.

What I wanted was:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8717&whichpage=3#134136

What I got was:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8717&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=our,look,and,feel#134136

The latter works, provided the search doesn't fail. It's certainly not an urgent fix. And it may be fun to see all the extra information people may unwittingly reveal.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

I guess it's not really a bug.
Nah, it's a bug. It shouldn't do that.

Permalinks was one of the first code changes I made. I wasn't feeling too adventurous, and so didn't think things through all the way.

I'm almost back to working on the new topics page (the site header is being a pain). I'll be sure to fix that up when I get to it, before we switch over to the "new" SFN.

Thanks for writing it up (again).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.