New Topic Limit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  08:09:10  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh!
Another copy 'n pasting creationist drive by troll.

How about preventing people from creating more topics without follow up posts? In other words, to be able to start your n:th topic, you must have made at least n posts before (excluding other topic creations).
Should not be a problem for any serious debater.

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  11:32:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good, but not all legitimate posts fuel debate. Some (though rare) are just "FYI" or humor, so the rule would need to be refined a bit.

Also, a troll might only respond by just reposting the original or by just adding "Its all there. Read my post again." But at least that's some kind of follow-up.

How about:
If they post, and...
if there is a response...
and if they don't acknowledge it within three days...
the label under their moniker changes from "New Member" or "SFN Regular" or whatever, to "Troll"?

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  11:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's going to ram me up pretty good, isn't it? Oh well...I could do with a change of title anyway.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  13:06:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, how about an intermediate category?

"Happy-go-Lucky"

"Man About town"

"So Good Looking" (Seinfeld)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  15:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Tourist"?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

recurve boy
Skeptic Friend

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  05:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send recurve boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a mandatory introduction thread. If you see a poster that has not replied to that thread, with a brief intro, the user gets deleted.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  11:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Start three threads, get at least one response in each one, don't respond to any = WARNING

Start one more thresd, get at least one response, don't respond = SUSPENSION

Come back, start one thread, get at least one response, don't respond = BANISH

The only drawback to any of these "get rid of the Trolls" plans is this:

Occasionally a person will start a thread that catches the imagination of one of the better members, and a thought provoking response is written. The topic takes on a life of it's own at that point, interesting and productive discourse is produced, and nobody knows or cares who started the thread!

Look at some of the religious or political debate that has gone on here, some of it with real value, yet started by imbeciles that are Creationist Cretins, Retard Republicans or both; and trolls to boot!

The real trolls tend to start wasting time and space by endless mantra repetition, one-liners, bon mots and inane comment. They have to be carefully analyzed, as Dave has stated somewhere in the Annals of Troll Control, and the moderator never really knows until the point in time when the prescience of "I know one when I see one" takes over and guides the fingers to the Red Keys.
Edited by - bngbuck on 01/02/2008 11:40:01
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  12:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just implement flood control. Members cannot start more than 3 new threads in an hour. No more than 10 new threads per day. (More than generous, I feel.) This will encourage participation in threads already started, as well as limit spammers who like to create a spam post for every SFN folder.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  13:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Just implement flood control. Members cannot start more than 3 new threads in an hour. No more than 10 new threads per day. (More than generous, I feel.) This will encourage participation in threads already started, as well as limit spammers who like to create a spam post for every SFN folder.

Flood control already exists. In the default implementation of Snitz, it's adjustable from 30 to 120 seconds between posts. That will at least slow down rabid cut-and-pasters, but not really have much effect on those who paraphrase or copy manually.

The 3 threads an hour idea is a good one. I also like the idea of a mandatory introduction thread, although it may scare off some shy types who want to post a question but aren't prepared to introduce themselves to the whole internet.

I'd also thought of a separate forum category where all posts by new members go until they've got some real replies, or get manually relocated by the moderators. Personally I don't pay much attention to the categories, as I I read pretty much everything from the "active topics" page, so a category for new stuff may actually even make my life simpler. First posters however, may not like the idea of their post not going in the category they thought it ought to.

The thing that springs to my mind most, of all these feature suggestions, is what's the easiest to implement, and the least work for the somewhat underpaid moderators? Many of these are non-trivial to implement. Of course, that's often times an incentive to developers. Less so for moderators. I'm just sayin'

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

recurve boy
Skeptic Friend

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  14:13:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send recurve boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS
The 3 threads an hour idea is a good one. I also like the idea of a mandatory introduction thread, although it may scare off some shy types who want to post a question but aren't prepared to introduce themselves to the whole internet.

You don't have to reveal much about yourself. Simply say "Hi!"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  15:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

The thing that springs to my mind most, of all these feature suggestions, is what's the easiest to implement, and the least work for the somewhat underpaid moderators? Many of these are non-trivial to implement. Of course, that's often times an incentive to developers. Less so for moderators. I'm just sayin'
Well, there's the central point, ain't it?

I very much appreciate any/all suggestions on making the SFN a better place in any way. Even if I can't or won't implement them directly, for whatever reason(s), sometimes people have come up with something that helps me to think of an easier solution to some problem.

Again, even if I neglect to acknowledge or use every idea, I do read them and appreciate the effort. Please, keep 'em coming, everyone.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  16:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe something simple, like limiting a new sign-up to two new threads per calendar day until set to full membership by a mod. This would limit drive-by without much impact to someone who wants to join and post a couple of questions. Possibly someone would figure this out and created 2 threads on each side of midnight, but that would be rare.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  16:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a reminder, we do have an introduction thread, though it's hardly mandatory. If you haven't done so, do drop by and say hello!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.