Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  23:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally placed under foreign administration by an accident caused by an American land company, the small rural village below was later formally given through treaty by the United States to a foreign nation.

It is the last portion of the United States proper to be simply given away to a foreign land.

1. What is its name?

2.What country now owns it?
After scouring four-and-a-half states' borders with foreign countries, I decided to go a-Googling. Google, of course, wound up sending me to Wikipedia, and at the bottom of that list was a link to this entry.

However, the treaty was not a give-away, it was more like a trade to settle border disputes which resulted in the U.S. becoming more than 600 acres larger (net).

It appears, after reading more, that just about all of the border treaties and land lost from the U.S. follows a similar pattern, where the U.S. gives up some land in return for a lot of other land or other compensation. I have a hard time calling any of it "give-aways," unless we go all the way back to the War of 1812, during which Tristan da Cunha was used as a military base by the U.S., and after the war it was simply abandoned (and then annexed by the British in 1816).
Correct, Dave! I had not read the article on the Boundary Treaty of 1970. I accept your correctional comments, which add to my understanding.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/07/2009 23:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  06:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aren't the US giving away all the lands for foreign nations to build their embassies on?

It's sorta tradish, I'd expect, as the other nations generally give the same privilege to the US, but still.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  13:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Aren't the US giving away all the lands for foreign nations to build their embassies on?

It's sorta tradish, I'd expect, as the other nations generally give the same privilege to the US, but still.
That's an interesting question. Are embassies enclaves of a foreign country? Legally, they are the sovereign soil of the embassy's nation. But in a way, that is a legal fiction.

Embassies may be closed, becoming no longer in any manner foreign territory, or moved to another location. The host country can at any time demand they be closed, without having to "invade" them, as with the Libyan embassy in London after a sniper there shot someone on the street a number of years ago.

On the other hand, while active, the law of the host country does not apply within their boundaries. I'd consider them a special case of diplomatic legal fiction, not normal territory. Their property lines aren't international borders, with customs and immigration checkpoints, in the usual sense.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/08/2009 22:31:25
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  08:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then, what about ship?

I believe ship are considered part of the owning state's territory to some extend. So, giving/selling one would be giving/selling territory?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  20:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who remember the old puzzles thread (and for those who don't), I have resurrected three of my four old puzzles in a more browser-friendly format. Have fun with 'em.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  13:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's 22:50 and I'm still recovering from the hangover of the decade. Last night I was out partying with my coworkers celebrating our bump in pay-grade. I spent $100+(US) on booze, and today I'm regretting it dearly.

"They" say that beauty comes from inside, but after having to closely examine the content of my insides as it came up the wrong way, I have to say that "they" were lying.

I pray I'll feel better tomorrow.
But I did have a good time yesterday!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/06/2009 13:52:45
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  08:56:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the raise. Any pictures from the party?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 06/09/2009 07:31:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  09:02:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

Congrats on the raise. Ant pictures from the party?
I think it unlikely. It was dark, and ants like to sleep at night.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  10:35:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Only good photos were from the dinner itself. My aim deteriorated rapidly after that.

A bunch on unfamiliar faces won't do you much good.
However, I got a few snaps of the buffé and the grill-master.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/09/2009 10:56:09
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  17:07:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pacman is one of the most (if not THE most) widely recognized computer games of all times. I'm not sure if I ever played it in the arcades, but I remember vividly sweating it out in front of my vic-20 playing it's clone Jelly Monsters. There are emulators one can download as to play the original game at home, but for those hesitant to do so there is also the possibility of running an online JAVA emulator (i.e. no installations necessary, your browser just needs to be able to run JAVA) and playing the real thing - no fuzz.

Ladies and gentlemen: PACMAN

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  18:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what I just remembered after getting a pathetically low score? I always sucked at Pacman.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  12:07:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Guess what I just remembered after getting a pathetically low score? I always sucked at Pacman.

I was once a Master at Pac-Man. You had to memorize very specific patterns to run on the higher levels and then execute them perfectly. One mistake and it was game over.

I was even better at Robotron 2084: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=748364

I could play that game for over and hour and a half with 1 quarter.

Other games of that same era that I was very good at but not a master: Donkey Kong, Galaga, Defender, Asteroids, Joust & Tempest....I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  22:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to mention Centipede too. My brother has a Galaga at his home that still works from a business he had. Remember the bonus round where the birds fly back and forth and try to shit on you? SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  22:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think it unlikely. It was dark, and ants like to sleep at night.

While it is true that ants have yet invented little torches or flashlights for night work. I have seen them active at late night. I find it a little surprising that people believe they sleep at night and work daily, when a lot of their lives are underground, in the dark. Working in total darkness doesn't seem to be a problem, why would they care about the sun being out. I would venture to say, being cold blooded they tend to be more active during day. Do insects sleep or are they just less active? If yes, do baby ants run like puppies do in their sleep? SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  23:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I'm going to attend a lecture by the mighty Christopher Hitchens this Thursday in Palo Alto. I'll try to get him to sign my copy of God is Not Great. He'll be my second collected handshake (after Daniel Dennett) in my "Four Horsemen" series. Anyone have any simple questions I could pass on to Hitch?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds.