Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  22:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since HalfMooner is giving me competition in the "what's this weird geological feature?" line of trivia questions, it seems I've gotta start again.

Here is an odd little place. The questions are: what is its ZIP code, and why?

Using Wikipedia is forbidden. Prize is the same as always: a cookie.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it the place with the uncontrollable mine fire? I think the government paid for the people to move away because it was unsafe. I don't imagine towns with no people have zip codes?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Here is an odd little place. The questions are: what is its ZIP code, and why?
Is that Love Canal? Bit before my time, but I think it's in upstate NY somewhere. No idea on a zip code, so that means I'm probably wrong.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:17:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Is it the place with the uncontrollable mine fire? I think the government paid for the people to move away because it was unsafe. I don't imagine towns with no people have zip codes?
Close enough. It is Centralia, PA, which has had burning coal underneath it for decades. The Post Office revoked its ZIP code after the State used eminent domain to evict the residents who couldn't be bought out with Federal emergency money.

I just read about the town this past week in Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, a nice book about hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:52:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good one, Dave! I was still scratching my head.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:59:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how long they can burn, the coal just does not need much oxygen at all. There are, or have been, quite a few of them in PA, WV, and OH.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  01:05:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally placed under foreign administration by an accident caused by an American land company, the small rural village below was later formally given through treaty by the United States to a foreign nation.

It is the last portion of the United States proper to be simply given away to a foreign land.

1. What is its name?

2.What country now owns it?

Click for extra-large version

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/07/2009 01:09:53
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  08:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no clue... even after a bit of Google-cheat... But that seems like a fascinating story...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  08:22:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Machi4velli

Close enough. It is Centralia, PA, which has had burning coal underneath it for decades. The Post Office revoked its ZIP code after the State used eminent domain to evict the residents who couldn't be bought out with Federal emergency money.

I just read about the town this past week in Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, a nice book about hiking the Appalachian Trail.
How the hell does it burn without oxygen? There has to be some oxidizer source for the fire to continue.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  08:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

How the hell does it burn without oxygen? There has to be some oxidizer source for the fire to continue.
According to Wikipedia:
The pocket of ignited coal is fed oxygen by vent paths that have not yet been discovered. These smolder year in, year out. Exhaust vents in populated areas are soon sensed and are sealed. Vents in uninhabited areas remain undiscovered. Occasionally, vents are discovered via fumes sensed by passers-by, often in forested areas.
But it's unreferenced.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

According to Wikipedia:
The pocket of ignited coal is fed oxygen by vent paths that have not yet been discovered. These smolder year in, year out. Exhaust vents in populated areas are soon sensed and are sealed. Vents in uninhabited areas remain undiscovered. Occasionally, vents are discovered via fumes sensed by passers-by, often in forested areas.
But it's unreferenced.
It seems to me that vent detection and sealing ought to be a major priority for anyone who is concerned about global warming.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I tried and failed, Mooner. I must be in a slump...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:24:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

According to Wikipedia:
But it's unreferenced.
It seems to me that vent detection and sealing ought to be a major priority for anyone who is concerned about global warming.

I wonder how much CO2 it actually puts out and how much coal's under there. I'd guess that eventually enough of the underlying coal's going to burn away that the mine will collapse, sealing the vents, and putting the fire out. That or that damn thing's going to smolder for a millenia. That'd actually be pretty cool.

EDIT:
Ok, I read the article about the town itself and it sheds more light on my wonderings...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

The mine was already abandoned when it caught fire. Apparently some careless garbage disposal mixed with coal burner ash set the town dump on fire which somehow migrated to the underlying abandoned mine. They didn't apparently regard it as a big problem until there a kid fell into a 4 foot wide, 150 foot deep hole that opened under him in a back yard. It doesn't say if he survived. Oh, and a local gas station found it's underground storage tank was heated to 172 F. What's the flash point of gasoline, anyway? Yikes.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/07/2009 11:35:27
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  20:41:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Well, I tried and failed, Mooner. I must be in a slump...
It turns out I'm a very poor predictor of the difficulty of these things. I'd thought this one would be too easy.

Hint #1: The treaty giving the above bit of America to a foreign government was signed in 1970, and the hand-over itself took place in 1977.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/07/2009 20:44:23
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  22:55:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally placed under foreign administration by an accident caused by an American land company, the small rural village below was later formally given through treaty by the United States to a foreign nation.

It is the last portion of the United States proper to be simply given away to a foreign land.

1. What is its name?

2.What country now owns it?
After scouring four-and-a-half states' borders with foreign countries, I decided to go a-Googling. Google, of course, wound up sending me to Wikipedia, and at the bottom of that list was a link to this entry.

However, the treaty was not a give-away, it was more like a trade to settle border disputes which resulted in the U.S. becoming more than 600 acres larger (net).

It appears, after reading more, that just about all of the border treaties and land lost from the U.S. follows a similar pattern, where the U.S. gives up some land in return for a lot of other land or other compensation. I have a hard time calling any of it "give-aways," unless we go all the way back to the War of 1812, during which Tristan da Cunha was used as a military base by the U.S., and after the war it was simply abandoned (and then annexed by the British in 1816).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.