Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  22:09:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm sure I'm missing a zillion cultural references, this woman's got serious talent with sand.

Is that Metallica that starts at about the 7-minute mark?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  23:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

While I'm sure I'm missing a zillion cultural references, this woman's got serious talent with sand.

Wow! And yes. Nothing Else Matters.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  00:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Wow! And yes. Nothing Else Matters.
Even though Enter Sandman would have been more appropriate.

That was pretty awesome. The amount of time it would take to practice manipulating such an unusual medium must be staggering. Drawing in sand probably isn't all that hard, but doing it so quickly and using multiple fingers at once...that's the sort of thing you only figure out after hours of practice.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  15:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fetus reached full term today according to babycenter.com. Pregnancy is going extremely well - my CNM says I'm the "picture of health." My due date is in 3 weeks. I (physically) feel like crap. Wish I could ride a bike or go hiking or something.

Thank goodness for SFN. A great way to pass the time and get my mind off aches, pains, and swollen hands and feet. You guys are a life-saver. :-)

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  18:18:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Thank goodness for SFN. A great way to pass the time and get my mind off aches, pains, and swollen hands and feet. You guys are a life-saver. :-)
Glad to hear that we're doing some good in the world.

Also glad to hear that everything is going well.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  18:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

There was once I time I really liked Metallica. I've seen them in concert probably 12 times.

I doubt I would bother with them now. Ulrich crying about Napster/P2P/etc, Newsted leaving, their shift in style away from hard and heavy intricate music to simple repetative chords found in generic music... all adds up to me not liking them much now.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  20:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My fetus reached full term today according to babycenter.com. Pregnancy is going extremely well - my CNM says I'm the "picture of health." My due date is in 3 weeks. I (physically) feel like crap. Wish I could ride a bike or go hiking or something.

Good deal! (Not the feeling like crap part.) Soon you will be wondering what it was like to sleep through the night.

Ahhhh. Those were the...ummmm...days.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  20:25:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good for you, Marf! Your baby's ready to roll. All the rest is merely a couple of decades of worry, heartache, struggle, tears, and joy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  13:43:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, the contractors completed the installation of air-conditioning in my apartment. Today was a general cleanup-and-get-things-in-order-day. And final preparations for my trip to Dragon*Con 2009.

Today we also had a thunderstorm passing through the town. One flash of lightning couldn't have been more than 50m from our apartment. I saw the light and heard the crack almost instantly, a fraction of a second, not more than .2s apart. Marvelous! I love thunder and lightning.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  06:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternoon, I was involved in an accident/incident on the freeway just outside of town. While I was overtaking a bus and a caravan, there was a car tail-gating me. I was disturbed by the lack of distance between me and him, so I touched to breaks to fire up the break-lights. At that time, my cruise-control disengaged and the tailgater had to hit the breaks in order not to hit me.
This apparently fired him up into road rage, because when I had passed the caravan and moved into the right lane, he swiftly overtook me and then slammed right in front of me, started swerving and hit the breaks firmly. I was taken by surprise and hit the breaks too, but not hard enough, because I bumped into him with just a touch. Still slowing down, he continued to Aviv back and forth in an effort to block me, and eventually we were travelling at a measly 30km/h. Traffic approaching fast in the rear-view mirror.
Then he turned over to the emergency lane, and apparently expected me to follow suite.
But with such a display of disregard of others, and apparent road rage, I didn't feel safe to stop and reason with him, so I re-engaged the cruise-control and continued home in order to wind down.

Today, I went to the police to report the incident. When I had finished giving my statement, the officer whom I spoke with told me that they had received a phone call about the accident, and "the perpetrator" fleeing the scene. He also noted it was a good thing I contacted him voluntarily to file a report of my own. This puts me and the other car on a fairly even footing. The road-rage displayed could definitely be used as defence against the charge of fleeing the scene, and the police who took my report said that if he had been in the same circumstance as I described, then he too probably wouldn't have stopped.

Right now, it looks like a stand-off tilted against since I was the one rear-ending the other car. However, the driver of the bus which I passed before this incident must have seen the whole thing, and both I and my wife clearly identified the bus before all this happened. (It was a local bus-company, but not painted in its regular colours) I'm currently in the process of locating the driver of the bus to get his statement. If I manage that, this will be a completely different ballgame.
Edited to add: The other car had a trailer coupling(?) for caravans, and I couldn't find any damage on my own bumper, so damage must have been negligible on his car too.

Edit: spelling

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/31/2009 21:14:12
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  07:51:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mab, I wouldn't have stopped either. I would have been frightened of the guy pulling out a gun. But then again, guns are common in America and have occasionally been used by people with road rage. Statistically, cops pull over single women drivers more than anyone else, and I tend to think that the reason is not to flirt with them, but out of a slight fear for drivers with road rage since there have been cops who were shot and killed by drivers they pulled over for minor reasons.

I have less and less tolerance for people who drive like jerks as I get older, and now that I'm pregnant and going to soon be driving with a baby in the car, my tolerance for that sort of crap has pretty much hit zero. But I think I tend to be a more paranoid driver than most people.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  09:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have stopped either...no way.

You're right though, the bus drivers statement could make all the difference.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  06:29:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW DAUGHTER!

Lysistrata Jennet Wieland

Born Friday, September 4th, 4:06AM

6 lb, 13 oz, 20 inches

Here's a link to photophaphs from the hospital: http://marthaknox.squarespace.com/lysistrata/

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  06:49:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

NEW DAUGHTER!

Lysistrata Jennet Wieland

Born Friday, September 4th, 4:06AM

6 lb, 13 oz, 20 inches

Here's a link to photophaphs from the hospital: http://marthaknox.squarespace.com/lysistrata/
Congratulations, Marf! I'm going to the photos right now.

[Edited to exclaim...]

You have a beautiful daughter. And a handsome dog of a hubby, too.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/06/2009 06:54:03
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  09:49:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work marf! Congrats.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.72 seconds.