Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:26:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be very careful to avoid rubbing your eyes with that finger, Mab.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  15:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Today I tasted one of the hottest pepper sauces ever made. It's called Mega Death Sauce and is primarily made of habanero peppers. I got some on my fingers and took a lick. I will attest that the burning sensation in my mouth gave me visions of eating molten lava straight out of a vulcano.
I had some on my spagetti bolognese, and had to vipe the sweat out of my forhead and scalp several times during the meal.

I've washed my hands 5 times since then, but I can still taste the capsaicin if I lick my fingers. Man this cauce was hot...

For those who are interested, the "hotness" of chili peppers are measured on the Scoville scale. To determine where a chili lands on this scale, a sample of it is diluted until any sort of burning sensation disappers. A higher dilution means a higher Scoville value which means a hotter chili. Jalapenos typically score around 5,000 whereas habaneros get in excess of 100,000. Hot indeed.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  17:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

For those who are interested, the "hotness" of chili peppers are measured on the Scoville scale. To determine where a chili lands on this scale, a sample of it is diluted until any sort of burning sensation disappers. A higher dilution means a higher Scoville value which means a hotter chili. Jalapenos typically score around 5,000 whereas habaneros get in excess of 100,000. Hot indeed.
Ten times hotter yet is the Bhut Jolokia, the hottest chili in the world at 1,040,000 Scoville units; primarily found in Northeast Indian states of Assam, Nagaland and Manipur.

Bhut Jolokia - 1,040,000 Scoville units

(Pure capsaicin comes in at 15,000,000 - 16,000,000)

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  18:15:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey you guys....

Eating the World's Hottest Pepper
Enjoy!
(edited to add...wink-wink)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 02/04/2010 19:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  22:06:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks
A higher dilution means a higher Scoville value which means a hotter chili. Jalapenos typically score around 5,000 whereas habaneros get in excess of 100,000. Hot indeed.
There are habaneros that score almost 600'000.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  22:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Hey you guys....

Eating the World's Hottest Pepper
Enjoy!
(edited to add...wink-wink)

I once made a bet with a mate of mine. The loser had to eat the hottest pepper his friend could dig up. I'm not 100% sure what kind it was, but it was HOT. I won and my friend had to eat it. What made the whole thing funny was that someone phoned him literally as he had eaten the thing to do an interview regarding a job he had applied for. Apart from the fact that he could hardly talk, he had the added problem of seven people wetting themselves laughing in the background.

Ah, memories...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  15:50:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, the "hotness" of chili peppers are measured on the Scoville scale. To determine where a chili lands on this scale, a sample of it is diluted until any sort of burning sensation disappers.

And that's how you get homeopathic hot sauce!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  16:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

For those who are interested, the "hotness" of chili peppers are measured on the Scoville scale. To determine where a chili lands on this scale, a sample of it is diluted until any sort of burning sensation disappers.

And that's how you get homeopathic hot sauce!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  20:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Edit: With this one, Netflix fails to deliver the movie at all, and returns an error message:
Interestingly, I just got that same error message, halfway through a movie. Refreshing the page fixed the problem.

Really, Mooner, part of your Netflix monthly fee is paying for your ability to watch movies online. Even if you won't do so often, you should contact tech support and get it fixed. Then, it'll be money you're paying for a service you don't use, while right now it's money you're paying for a service you can't use.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  20:38:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if you won't do so often, you should contact tech support and get it fixed.

Netflix recently gave money back to all customers who *could* have been affected by their Xbox outage, without them asking.

link

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  23:46:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Edit: With this one, Netflix fails to deliver the movie at all, and returns an error message:
Interestingly, I just got that same error message, halfway through a movie. Refreshing the page fixed the problem.

Really, Mooner, part of your Netflix monthly fee is paying for your ability to watch movies online. Even if you won't do so often, you should contact tech support and get it fixed. Then, it'll be money you're paying for a service you don't use, while right now it's money you're paying for a service you can't use.
Good point. I've been neglecting the call, but now I'll make it.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GODDAMNED PIECE OF SHIT Norton Internet Securities 2010 ! ! !

I just upgraded my firewall from NIS 2006 til NIS 2010 on my HomeTheater-PC.
And it didn't take more than a day to notice a security breach (by accident no less).

While installing the upgrade, the installer wiped clean the old customised firewall rules I had protecting the computer.

I have two programs, one of them RealVNC for remote access to the computer, has known security issues, so I had custom made firewall rules to add an extra layer of security. But what use is a firewall if it automatically leaves the doors wide open? Without even a notice!

When I discovered the breach, someone else was logged on to my computer starting applications, and downloading suspicious program from websites. I panicked and pulled the plug.
My first afterthought was "I should have made a netstat to get a list of all the IPs connected to the computer." My second afterthought was "But any decent hacker would have routed the IP traffic through a proxy, most likely someone else innocent victim."

What I'm left with is a feeling of having been violated, and apart from blaming myself, I blame goddamn piece-of-shit Norton Internet Security.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mab, do you do regular Shields Up! testing?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. But I realize I should have after I installed the upgrade.
That's part of what's bugging me. I made the error of assuming that an upgrade would be just that: changing parts of the software, not toss out user-specific rules, or otherwise wiping the slate clean from previous installations.

I stand corrected: Never assume that software companies can be trusted to not f*ck up.
There's a Swedish (four words only) saying which freely translates to "If you want something done right, do it yourself".

I'm just venting, and will calm down eventually. Please carry on... ;)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:55:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Mab, do you do regular Shields Up! testing?
I did not know that such a service existed. Now, I've tried it and confirmed my security. Thanks, Dave!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds.