The water cooler, part 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

skepticalover

12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  00:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticalover's Homepage Send skepticalover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and it's completely lacking in British automotive humor.

I love Top Gear, haven't watched the US version because of my worst fear, this quote.

Nail polish without all the carcinogens - http://www.metapolish.com
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  19:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Humanist group hosted a HumanLight celebration today with Paul Kurtz as our keynote speaker. The "father of secular humanism" turns 85 this Tuesday and he told our VP that this might be his last public speaking engagement. He made a strong point of emphasizing the values of empathy and compassion alongside skepticism and free inquiry, and at one point he had everyone stand up and hug the person next to them. A real honor and inspiration to hear him speak today.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  22:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox
...and at one point he had everyone stand up and hug the person next to them.
The older I get, the more I see that much of wisdom is really compassion. However, this sort of forced intimacy really irritates me. Making someone hug the fat dude sitting next to them is uncomfortable for everybody. And I say that as the fat dude.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  14:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

My Humanist group hosted a HumanLight celebration today with Paul Kurtz as our keynote speaker. The "father of secular humanism" turns 85 this Tuesday and he told our VP that this might be his last public speaking engagement. He made a strong point of emphasizing the values of empathy and compassion alongside skepticism and free inquiry, and at one point he had everyone stand up and hug the person next to them. A real honor and inspiration to hear him speak today.
I agree that Paul Kurtz is someone well worth our admiration and respect. And I also agree that a bit more empathy and compassion than some of us show are good qualities. But the touchy feely stuff is not any different than what Robert Tilton or Deepak Chopra are pushing. It's a club affirming gesture that may feel nice but it's also a manipulation. "We love because we belong to the club."

It's my opinion that we should strive to be as civil as possible when faced with the ridiculous. We should also consider the source and try to offer guidance if possible. And that is showing empathy and compassion. But no phony club affirming woo...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  20:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is being uncomfortable necessarily a bad thing? I gotta admit, there is a part of me that feels a little uncomfortable with affection toward aquaintances and even some friends and family members, particularly when it is a socially proscribed ritual (such as an obligatory hug goodbye.) But feeling that discomfort allows me to examine it, and that helps me understand myself better. I don't think the hug is intended to make everyone is the room best friends. Moreso, it is a physical act that emphasizes the values that are being professed verbally. In progressive education different types of learning are emphasized and taught to. The "hug your neighbor" ritual might not do anything to get the humanist ethics across to most of the people doing it, but it might be doing a lot for a few people, and if so, wouldn't that alone make it worth it? Maybe I just like it when lecturers shake things up a bit. I like being woken up.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 12/20/2010 20:21:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  18:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, IBM's "Watson" computer system just spanked two extremely competent past winners of Jeopardy! One of them noted that he, for one, welcomes our new computer overlords - after visibly being annoyed by how often Watson was beating him to the button during the games.

IBM got a huge amount of advertising out of the three days on the show, and IBM's charity picks are now a million bucks richer, but hopefully this technology will become something more useful and long-lasting than a big Jeopardy! win.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  04:20:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So, IBM's "Watson" computer system just spanked two extremely competent past winners of Jeopardy! One of them noted that he, for one, welcomes our new computer overlords - after visibly being annoyed by how often Watson was beating him to the button during the games.

IBM got a huge amount of advertising out of the three days on the show, and IBM's charity picks are now a million bucks richer, but hopefully this technology will become something more useful and long-lasting than a big Jeopardy! win.
Yeah, but it was IBM's Watson computer that made the charity picks. One was for the Home for Discarded Computers, another for the Young Robot's Christian Association, and another one for the Mayo Computer Virus Clinic.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  00:12:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this was a neat idea.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  07:20:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed a recent trend on Fox News calling this summer's heat wave proof that Al Gore was right about Global Warming? (After all, they call any cold winter proof that GW is a hoax.)

Me neither.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno

Has anyone noticed a recent trend on Fox News calling this summer's heat wave proof that Al Gore was right about Global Warming? (After all, they call any cold winter proof that GW is a hoax.)

Me neither.

No, but I have noticed that just about every weather phenomena known to man gets used as proof for global warming.

Cold snap = proof for man made global warming
Hot Snap = proof for man made global warming
Active hurricane season = proof for man made global warming
Inactive hurricane season = proof for man made global warming
Above average snow fall = proof for man made global warming
Below average snow fall = proof for man made global warming
Earthquakes = proof for man made global warming
No Earthquakes = proof for man made global warming
S.F. Giants winning the World Series = proof for man made global warming
Al Gore's Tennessee home which uses more juice than some samll towns = proof for man made global warming
Hollywood celebs getting off a private jet and into a prius = proof for man made global warming
Republicans take control of the house = proof for man made global warming
A Pub knocks off Obama in 2012 = proof for man made global warming
Rep. Gifford getting shot by a nut in Arizona = proof for man made global warming
The Opera Winfrey show going off the air after 20 some years = proof for man made global warming
etc... etc...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/03/2011 08:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Originally posted by leoofno

Me neither.

No, but I have noticed that just about every weather phenomena known to man gets used as proof for global warming.

Cold snap = proof for man made global warming
Hot Snap = proof for man made global warming
Active hurricane season = proof for man made global warming
Inactive hurricane season = proof for man made global warming
Above average snow fall = proof for man made global warming
Below average snow fall = proof for man made global warming
Earthquakes = proof for man made global warming
No Earthquakes = proof for man made global warming
S.F. Giants winning the World Series = proof for man made global warming
Al Gore's Tennessee home which uses more juice than some samll towns = proof for man made global warming
Hollywood celebs getting off a private jet and into a prius = proof for man made global warming
Republicans take control of the house = proof for man made global warming
A Pub knocks off Obama in 2012 = proof for man made global warming
Rep. Gifford getting shot by a nut in Arizona = proof for man made global warming
The Opera Winfrey show going off the air after 20 some years = proof for man made global warming
etc... etc...
Quickly shrinking glaciers and the current thawing of the permafrost are indicators. There are several other indicators. Trends need to be watched. But local weather occurrences are not really indicators of anything. People should get it through their heads that a season of sever weather and climate change are not the same thing. Long term trends are another thing.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's because you don't understand the difference between weather and climate.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:27:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's because you don't understand the difference between weather and climate.

Me? I never pointed to these as proof of MMGW. And I already knew that hot weather is not proof for MMGW.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/03/2011 09:31:38
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

After read shit like this I wonder, why do I come here? However, I can understand why I don't bother to post when I don't. SS

Why? Is the subject too polarizing for you? I happen to agree with Bill's post. It's just like every time a natural disaster happens and the religious folks think it is a sign of the apocalypse. Every time any kind of weather happens the global warming folks take it as a sign.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of environmental concerns. Reduce, reuse, recycle is my motto. I am not convinced that there is a damn thing we can do about the melting of the glaciers and so on. Is it anything more than normal climate changing? If it is and we somehow are the cause of it wouldn't that be just a natural occurence too? Seeing as we are all products of the Earth and we will all eventually return the the Earth what makes us so special that we have all of this power?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Edited by - Ebone4rock on 08/03/2011 10:27:52
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  11:21:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had decided to delete my reply before Ebone had posted. Now I find he was in the act of replying while I deleted it. Had there been a reply I would not have deleted it. So finding he's replied to my deleted post my reply is.

Exactly. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 08/03/2011 11:38:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds.