Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  15:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The opposite of a theremin.

Via EpicWinFTW.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just had a walk in in our local forest and saw a rattlesnake. Given it's size it would have been a juvenile. We must have seen it for roughly 15 seconds as it slowly slithered into the undergrowth. Pretty cool.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  13:42:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if anyone noticed, but I've been absent from SFN for almost a week.
There were server-problems with my ISP that prevented me from going online.
But at last I'm back.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  14:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN is back to full force now, welcome back. Eh! except for {b]Halfmooner[/b]. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  21:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife has started her blog about being a student in Japan: Rogue Housewife.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  10:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morgan has no title as of yet but I am leaning toward "Head of the Chaos and Mayhem Administration".

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full while Liz is out of the country...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  07:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
File this under freaky coincidences:

Yesterday on my way to work I was listening to an old Skepticality Episode from October 2007 (shortly after Dragon*Con 2007) which had a speech by Daniel Loxton called "Where do we go from here?"

The speech starts with (and returns to this as a central theme):
Fantasy and sci-fi fans may recall an Emmy Award-nominated musical episode of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which the heroes sadly sing lyrics posing the key existential question:
The battle’s done, and we kinda won
So we sound our victory cheer.
Where do we go from here?

I am currently making my way through the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series with at least one episode per day. Guess my surprise as the very next episode of Buffy I watch is that very musical episode. How freaky is that?

(It's a very good episode by the way, definitly one deserving an Emmy Award. It has a high but cool weird-factor and meta-quality about it, as Buffy and her gang are aware that they are in a musical.)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2010 :  14:55:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey folks: my wife has posted an essay and she'd like comments from you.

(Preferably, comments left on her blog, not here.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2010 :  16:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a fucking disaster. I'm crying.

Sweden had election this Sunday, everything that could go wrong did:
The two parties that most represents the working class, socially responsible, lost ground.
The party that most resembles the republicans (not neo-cons) gained ground.
For the first time, a nationalistic party managed to get seats in the parliament.
The right wing coalition didn't get majority, but may have to rely on the nationalists to get things done.

My country is navigating itself toward what USA is today, and I don't like what I see.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  20:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any skeptical plumbers out there?

My Google-fu is failing to bring up anything on how to tell which cartridge one needs for a Moen bath/shower faucet without tearing the thing apart.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  22:53:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
US television tries another import. I've been a big fan of the BBC's Top Gear for a long time, and my DVR tonight recorded (without my knowledge) the premiere episode of the History Channel's version. It's almost entirely the same. Warehouse set, airfield for a test track with named curves, three guys hosting, wacky challenges. They've even got their own Stig.

The biggest difference I can see is that instead of putting a star in a reasonably priced car, they call that segment "Big Star, Small Car."

Oh, and it's completely lacking in British automotive humor. And, it seems, British automotive enthusiasm. One of the hosts just said of a Lambo, "listen to that hum," and by the tone of his voice, he may as well have been saying it of a broken air conditioner. Sure, these guys got excited when they were being chased by an attack helicopter, but their reviews of three different Lambos all sound like recitations from a dictionary. Yuck.

Edited to add that they've copied the British show so much that the tall host is overconfident, the short host is the fearless one, and the medium-height host is slowest and a worry-wort.

Oh, and they decided not to copy the "On that bombshell..." ending.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  02:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

My Google-fu is failing to bring up anything on how to tell which cartridge one needs for a Moen bath/shower faucet without tearing the thing apart.

Plumbing nomenclature was never a part of my English-classes. However...

While I'm not sure I can help you, it reminds me of some work I did about a week ago.
The mixer tap in my upstairs shower was showing signs of getting old, and the handle that controls the temperature started get stuck: very high friction made the handle almost impossible to turn from hot to cold, and less friction friction from cold to hot.
I was sure some gasket or mechanism inside the cartridge(?) was broken.
Eventuallty, I took a screw-driver and a spanner and went at it.
Disassembling the handle from the outside inward, I got half-way in when I found the problem.

Three brass-parts splines and threads in them made to translate the outer handle's rotational movement, through the threads, into a linera inward/outward movement. That linear movement finally pushed at the thermostat farther inside the cartridge.
The brass-parts had some calcium deposits (lime(?)), but the big problem was the lack of any lubricant. The threads were completely dry, and that made the brass parts lock tight against each other.
I used silicone grease to lubricate any surface that seemed to have any sort of contact with other surfaces, then assembled everything again.

Voila! Everything started working again.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  18:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I needed to replace one, I went to the Home Depot, only to find out there are two kinds, a plastic one and a brass one. I bought one of each, took the old one out and replaced it with the same kind, and returned the other. I highly recommend buying the puller tool. Also, be sure you get all the rubber parts that may be left behind before you install the new one.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  19:32:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

When I needed to replace one, I went to the Home Depot, only to find out there are two kinds, a plastic one and a brass one. I bought one of each, took the old one out and replaced it with the same kind, and returned the other.
I found no fewer than eight kinds of Moen cartridges at Home Depot. I'd really rather not have to return seven (or more) of them. But I'd also rather not have the water turned off while I go drive to Home Depot.
I highly recommend buying the puller tool.
Yeah, I've heard that recommended elsewhere, too.
Also, be sure you get all the rubber parts that may be left behind before you install the new one.
I've got a bottle brush around here, somewhere, thanks.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  18:26:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by R.Wreck

When I needed to replace one, I went to the Home Depot, only to find out there are two kinds, a plastic one and a brass one. I bought one of each, took the old one out and replaced it with the same kind, and returned the other.
I found no fewer than eight kinds of Moen cartridges at Home Depot. I'd really rather not have to return seven (or more) of them. But I'd also rather not have the water turned off while I go drive to Home Depot.
I highly recommend buying the puller tool.
Yeah, I've heard that recommended elsewhere, too.
Also, be sure you get all the rubber parts that may be left behind before you install the new one.
I've got a bottle brush around here, somewhere, thanks.

Try telling someone at the HD what you need. They may be able to narrow it down for you. I used needle-nosed pliers and a flashlight to clean out the fixture. You'll want to pull the stuff out, not push it in.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds.