Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  13:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

I see.
I think you purposefully do not.
So if a man in the water reaches down and catches a fish with his bare hands were his actions natural, unnatural or both?

If the same man uses a spear to harpoon a fish were his actions natural, unnatural or both?
What contexts are we talking about? Fishing in general, human fishing through the ages, what?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  18:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill is just not worth the effort.

I guess I'll conclude by clarifying my point: Conservatives like those found on Fox News take glee in reporting about the demise of GW whenever there is a cold spell, yet are curiously silent during significane hot spells. Just shows what hypocritical idiots they are. Thats it. Nothing that wasn't already obvious.

Sorry to interrupt the semantics war

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  21:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno
Conservatives like those found on Fox News take glee in reporting about the demise of GW whenever there is a cold spell, yet are curiously silent during significane hot spells.
That's because the heat spells and droughts aren't evidence of global warming. They are evidence that we are living in the End Times!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/10/2011 21:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  05:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Notice how he usually is in deep lurk-mode until some google(?) software gets triggered by Al Gore's mention and he creeps out from under whatever rock he's hiding to spew his gall.

That is very funny. I sometimes think the same thing about a few of you guys. Bill hits "post" and a red light on top of your computer starts flashing and a siren goes off as you rush to see what is happening. It's a funny mental image. Probably as funny as me with an "Al Gore" siren on my computer.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/11/2011 05:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  05:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So if a man in the water reaches down and catches a fish with his bare hands were his actions natural, unnatural or both?

If the same man uses a spear to harpoon a fish were his actions natural, unnatural or both?
What contexts are we talking about? Fishing in general, human fishing through the ages, what?

Dave, you have even out done yourself this time. You have just fully demonstrated that you are not here for general skepticism, nor to seek out truth and nor to even participate in a good debate. You are here for one reason and that is to defend and prop up your dog and pony show at whatever cost that may take. If defending and propping up your dog and pony show requires turning the conversation into an endless ride on a semantical merry-go-round you are all to willing. If defending and propping up your dog and pony show requires a game of smoke -n- mirrors or hide -n- seek, again, you are much to willing. I come here for good honest debate amongst peers and not an endless ride on Dave's semantical merry-go-round. Have fun with your games, Dave, obviously that is what you enjoy the most.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  05:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by leoofno
Conservatives like those found on Fox News take glee in reporting about the demise of GW whenever there is a cold spell, yet are curiously silent during significane hot spells.
That's because the heat spells and droughts aren't evidence of global warming. They are evidence that we are living in the End Times!

I listen to religious radio for entertainment, and boy oh boy are they really into this End Times stuff. Its always "right around the corner" but never seems to happen.
Funniest thing about the video: Quotes from the bible about the angel pouring his cup into the "sea" turning it to blood, while showing an image of a red drainage ditch.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  06:04:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave, you have even out done yourself this time. You have just fully demonstrated that you are not here for general skepticism, nor to seek out truth and nor to even participate in a good debate. You are here for one reason and that is to defend and prop up your dog and pony show at whatever cost that may take. If defending and propping up your dog and pony show requires turning the conversation into an endless ride on a semantical merry-go-round you are all to willing. If defending and propping up your dog and pony show requires a game of smoke -n- mirrors or hide -n- seek, again, you are much to willing. I come here for good honest debate amongst peers and not an endless ride on Dave's semantical merry-go-round. Have fun with your games, Dave, obviously that is what you enjoy the most.
Wow, that's bizarre. We're talking about the meanings of words in various contexts. Of course it's a discussion of semantics. How could it not be?

You got on the "semantical merry-go-round" several days ago, Bill, and seemed to be enjoying yourself. What changed?

I don't think anything actually did change but you, Bill. I think you finally realized that I'm never going to let go of the fact that context is important to language (and why should I? It's true). But rather than continue the discussion where it needs to go, you'd just rather whine and insult me, and then stomp your widdle feet and run off. I'll give you 9/10 for melodrama.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:38:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is very funny. I sometimes think the same thing about a few of you guys. Bill hits "post" and a red light on top of your computer starts flashing and a siren goes off as you rush to see what is happening. It's a funny mental image. Probably as funny as me with an "Al Gore" siren on my computer.

We don't need to have software alarms set to go off, since we are regular posters on SFN. In my case, it's even (kind of) an obligation to read the forum at least once daily as part of my moderating duties. Whenever I find you've posted something here, it's in the natural course of being as SFN-addict. No alarms necessary.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  01:31:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As promised, here are some more pictures from my trip to Paris.
These photos were taken by my wife, but there's no comment attached to them. Perhaps some day I'll copy a few of them to Facebook, and include some commentary, but for now this is what you get.

http://trilliadin.mine.nu/lannqvistparis2011/index.htm

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/16/2011 01:32:35
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  10:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, a friend of mine crashed an airplane.

"Aircraft managed to make an emergency landing"
Google translated (edited by me):
In total there were five people aboard the plane, including four skydivers. One of them would make its premier jump when the engine began to malfunction, it was decided that parachutists would immediately leave the plane.

Nice huh? First sign of trouble, and the parachuters bail on the pilot...

Of course, it's the right thing to do. If the emergency landing goes to hell, 4 people are safe on the ground.

Anyway, my friend is a good and cool-headed pilot and he managed to do a good emergency landing. The ground in the field were he landed was just a little too soft, and tyres got stuck in the mud causing the plane to topple over.

He walked away unscratched.

Here's more about the parachutists...
Again, Google translation.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/29/2011 10:10:03
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:17:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to get all mushy, but I just felt the need to express my gratitude for this forum's existence and the participation of all the interesting, intelligent people on it. (And the occasional nutjob who provides much amusement.) In my current life I work from home, and while my arrangement has many advantages and overall I kind of love it, I have very little contact with other adults, and very little time for meaningful exchanges about politics, philosophy, and current issues. The discussions on this forum are usually challenging, get me to think and re-evaluate my opinions, and get me to explore articles on the Internet that I wouldn't otherwise have discovered. You guys rock.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:52:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Not to get all mushy, but I just felt the need to express my gratitude for this forum's existence and the participation of all the interesting, intelligent people on it. (And the occasional nutjob who provides much amusement.) In my current life I work from home, and while my arrangement has many advantages and overall I kind of love it, I have very little contact with other adults, and very little time for meaningful exchanges about politics, philosophy, and current issues. The discussions on this forum are usually challenging, get me to think and re-evaluate my opinions, and get me to explore articles on the Internet that I wouldn't otherwise have discovered. You guys rock.

Awwww....I just wanna give you a big hug right now.

Ooops, I just realized that I might be one of the nutjobs!

[Edited to fix auto-linking - Dave W.]

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  11:58:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warm fuzzies!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  12:12:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Well it's been great having you back Marf. I suppose once the baby is born, you will become to busy for our nonsense again. I hope not...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  13:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's been great having you back Marf. I suppose once the baby is born, you will become to busy for our nonsense again. I hope not...
No, I think I'll still be around. I wasn't around after Lysi was born because I was still working outside of the home a lot. I came back because I'm stuck in the house without adult contact all the time, and it is now clear that that is going to continue for probably a long time. :-)

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds.