Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  10:17:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the successful delivery. I'm glad you are safe and the baby is healthy.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  12:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

My second child, Eulabee Frida Wieland, born December 1st. 7 lb. 1 oz, 18 inches. I got home from the hospital yesterday. Both of us are healthy and recovery fine. *happy*

For those interested, here's the birth story summary: 12 hours of prelabor (mild contractions every 10 minutes. Started at 2am and I got no sleep that night.) 4 hours of more intense, frequent active labor at home, followed by trip to hospital. Epidural and 4 more hours of waiting for complete dilation. Pushing began around 10pm on Nov. 30. Tried for 2 and a half hours (with a break in the middle to recharge.) Baby's head was turned funny and couldn't get around part of my pelvic bone. Doctor came with the vacuum and we tried that, but no luck. Doc recommended c-section. During c-section, doc discovered that I'd had a uterine rupture (the scar on my uterus from the last c-section had completely opened up. EXTREMELY dangerous - can easily lead to death or brain damage of child and death or serious injury to mother.) Thankfully, baby's position prevented any damage to either of us. Had I successfully delivered her vaginally, my life and health would have been in critical danger. My recovery so far is very painful. However, I and Eulabee are both totally fine. And very lucky.

Congratulations, Marf.

Very glad to hear that both mother and baby are fine. Uterine ruptures are very nasty business. It was why my second wife and I decided on a planned c-section due to her having an emergency c-section with her first child.

Welcome to the world Eulabee. Try not to notice politics until you have a little bit of a normal childhood. :)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  08:02:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations and best wishes. Recover quickly. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  11:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Marf, to you and your whole family.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  12:50:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  14:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! Hope you can get some rest here and there

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  08:53:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This afternoon, the team I work together with at work, went to the shooting range for some get-together activities.

First we got a demonstration of a Front loading black powder revolver, complete with loading procedure. Just a short step removed from an old flintlock.

We had target practice with several different guns, starting with .22 revolver then moving up to 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm pistol (Colt 1911) and finally a .44 Magnum.
The kick-back from the .44 wasn't to play with, and there was considerable omph in the bang when firing it.
On the other hand, when I shot the 38 Special, I could see flashes of fire coming out from the sides of the cylinder.

It was great fun. I want to do this again.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  10:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

This afternoon, the team I work together with at work, went to the shooting range for some get-together activities.

First we got a demonstration of a Front loading black powder revolver, complete with loading procedure. Just a short step removed from an old flintlock.

We had target practice with several different guns, starting with .22 revolver then moving up to 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm pistol (Colt 1911) and finally a .44 Magnum.
The kick-back from the .44 wasn't to play with, and there was considerable omph in the bang when firing it.
On the other hand, when I shot the 38 Special, I could see flashes of fire coming out from the sides of the cylinder.

It was great fun. I want to do this again.

Oh oh, now you've done it. That's how Americans got started. The flintlock is called the "Gateway gun", like pot to heroine.
Flintlocks lead to black powder guns then we graduated to larger and larger calibers.

"It was great fun. I want to do this again."

You've been baptized, welcome to the club.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  15:22:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I actually had it forced upon me by the Government a great many years ago. When I came of age, conscription was the practice for every male with exceptionally few... exceptions.
Not even claiming religious beliefs was enough unless you could prove you belonged to a religious order with a documented history of pacifists, or you'd find yourself spending several months on prison for refusing consription.

Being a practicing Pentecostal at the time didn't matter. However, I made my officers aware (I told them straight to their faces) that while I intended to go through the motions in my military training, I had no intention what-so-ever to ever raise my gun at any human, for any purpose, including protecting my own life. (remember, as a born-again-christian I firmly believed in an afterlife at that time)
To my officers' surprice (considering my statements about disliking violence), I performed better than most in my platoon at target practice. The only weapon I ever used (because I didn't belong to a combat unit, but airforce tech support) was the Swedish Kpist m/45 submachinegun, which was assigned for personal protection mostly for it's easy use and maintenace but also because it was remarkably reliable compared to any other firearm.

Perhaps you got a little more than you asked for?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  23:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever hear about this place called Göbekli Tepe. It's a new one for me. Pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  23:50:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometime ago, I remember this particular YouTube piece was thoroughly gone over. One can hear considerable hyperbole in the narration. Just at the beginning, why the heck do they have a "Investigative Reporter" on this program. Listen to her comic book'ish report. I looked up about all the commentators on this bit and saw they have connections, one way or another, to woo sites or promotions. Here's a bit from Wiki on the archeological site.

Shame on the History Channel for bringing in pseudo-scientists to comment on a real archeological site. Doesn't that asshole Rupert Murdock of FOX News ill-repute own the History Channel, TLC, and Discovery Channel and that these once science oriented channels have for the past few years churn out for the most part junk programming?

Sorry SS to jump all over this very interesting history site. It's just the sorry History Channel use of woo people to discuss this important find. This HC clip is the state of bubble-brain scripted TV shows they're dishing out on us. Reality is so much more interesting.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 12/12/2011 00:00:18
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  00:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rupert Murdoch does not own the History Channel or any of the other channels mentioned by Randy. The History Channel is a channel in the A&E Networks, jointly owned by Hearst, Disney-ABC and NBCUniversal. TLC and the Discovery Channel belong to Discovery Communications.

Not to say that he History Channel should not be responsible for airing this type of woo. The producers of the individual show should also be criticized for having unqualified experts. Sadly for people who dislike Murdoch, as far as I know, he's not responsible for this show.

A shame, because both A&E and Discovery both have well-made shows on their networks.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Edited by - podcat on 12/12/2011 00:26:49
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  01:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today (12/12/11) would have been the 84th birthday of Robert Noyce, inventor of the microchip. Google celebrated the day by making a microchip its google doodle.

For those reading this after the 12th, the doodle can be seen in the doodle archive.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  01:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Mabuse.....

After conscripton into military service:
I made my officers aware (I told them straight to their faces) that while I intended to go through the motions in my military training, I had no intention what-so-ever to ever raise my gun at any human, for any purpose, including protecting my own life.
With reference to target practice:

Do you hunt animals for any purpose?
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  08:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Dr. Mabuse.....

After conscripton into military service:
I made my officers aware (I told them straight to their faces) that while I intended to go through the motions in my military training, I had no intention what-so-ever to ever raise my gun at any human, for any purpose, including protecting my own life.
With reference to target practice:

Do you hunt animals for any purpose?
Bngbuckwould that include the bacterium on the surface of a paper target or those under foot who are killed at the time? Why shouldn't all organisms that strive to survive when being hunted not be equal in being protected and not killed? Bacterium does fit into that group after all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.