Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  12:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Kinda silly. Does not allow for someone to collect historically significant weapons.
Not unless they have a licence for it, or the gun is permanently made inoperable under police supervision by means of removing or destroying a critical part of it like the firing pin and making sure it is not easily repaired.

Many members of local gun clubs don't own any guns, but use the club's gun and a kind of club-wide communal licence which applies to the members of that gun club. It takes years to obtain a personal licence.

Not a bad idea. Allows people to determine if they can become proficient in the use of the weapon.
There's also a storage aspect of it. The gun or at least critical parts of it (in case of a rifle) needs to be kept locked up in a safe. Not every family has a safe with high enough safety class to store it. Those are expensive, as your average document safe isn't enough.

Trophy hunting is pointless.
I see that as just another "who's-got-the-biggest-cock"-kind of contest. Which isn't really impressing. Anyone can kill anything, with the right kind of weapon. But if you can point to a rhino's head or an lion's head hanging on the wall, and say without lying "I killed that with my own bare hands..." then I'll grant an exception and will be duly impressed.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  14:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mabuse.....

But if you can point to a rhino's head or an lion's head hanging on the wall, and say without lying "I killed that with my own bare hands..." then I'll grant an exception and will be duly impressed.
Right on! I totally agree! Any game hunter that can subdue and even kill major predators - lions, tigers, bears, wild boar and elephant - with his bare hands and superior wits only would have my total respect. I don't even care what reason he might have had for fighting the animal. "Sport" is fine, as long as the weapons allowed are the man's body and wits only, against the body, brain, and instinct of the beast.

I would pay a lot to watch Ted Nugent in a jockstrap and bare hands only attacking a bull moose or mountain cougar.

Best idea I've heard all year, Mabuse. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  16:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
I would pay a lot to watch Ted Nugent in a jockstrap and bare hands only attacking a bull moose or mountain cougar.

Whoooa! Thanks for the visual bngbuck,,, (not). I'll pass but I could imagine there are a lot of women that would pay to see that too.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  00:51:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of guns, I thought Hollywood was the leader with action scenes with a whole lot of bullets flying. You know, those scenes where they never reload and never run out of bullets? Check out this action clip with an Terminator Robot like theme from India. Actually a whole lot of robot clones.
The best action movie of all time? Best action scenes of Indian Robot - The Terminator Matrix Hybrid Movie Hit of 2010.

Titled Best Action Scenes Ever!!! (Indian Robot Endhiran) . It's definitely up there, What a hoot.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  21:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chefcrsh.....

And while we are slicing lets not let the vegans forget that fungi is an animal.
Wiki begs to disagree.
A fungus (pronounced /#712;f#652;#331;#609;#601;s/; pl. fungi[3] or funguses[4]) is a member of a large group of eukaryotic organisms that includes microorganisms such as yeasts and molds (British English: moulds), as well as the more familiar mushrooms. These organisms are classified as a kingdom, Fungi, which is separate from plants, animals, and bacteria.

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  21:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I had originally meant to bounce off of Eukaryota...but then remembered the old schoolyard classification Animal, Vegetable Mineral, in that meilue fungus are animalia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monera#Haekel.27s_classification
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  23:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fungus, like animalia, are consumers.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  17:33:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
received 12/24/2011
Hi Bill,

Sorry to take so long getting back; yours is a most generous offer.
But, see, my computer is pretty much ok for a patch-up job. The big
problem is that I have a shitty hookup to the sattelite. You can say
what you want about dial-up, but at least you get there eventually.
Also, my son-in-law has put in some sort of block to SFN and a couple
of other sites he finds suspicious. No amount fo bitching will get him
to remove it. So, as soon as the current seasonal madness is over, I'm
going to get one of those tablets and try that.

Please pass along my heartfelt Solstice greetings to all of the
denizens of SFN. I miss you guys.

"filthy" Phil

Thought I would pass this along for those who, like I, miss Filthy and his inimitable commentary.

As to the son-in-law Nazi, go figure! I wouldn't go there in a million years - even though I just did!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  18:04:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

received 12/24/2011
Hi Bill,

Sorry to take so long getting back; yours is a most generous offer.
But, see, my computer is pretty much ok for a patch-up job. The big
problem is that I have a shitty hookup to the sattelite. You can say
what you want about dial-up, but at least you get there eventually.
Also, my son-in-law has put in some sort of block to SFN and a couple
of other sites he finds suspicious. No amount fo bitching will get him
to remove it. So, as soon as the current seasonal madness is over, I'm
going to get one of those tablets and try that.

Please pass along my heartfelt Solstice greetings to all of the
denizens of SFN. I miss you guys.

"filthy" Phil

Thought I would pass this along for those who, like I, miss Filthy and his inimitable commentary.

As to the son-in-law Nazi, go figure! I wouldn't go there in a million years - even though I just did!
Oh crap. I get a warning message sometimes using Chrome but it's nothing. There's something that triggers it but it's harmless. There is no danger to anyone's computer here at SFN. Dang!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Macarena Man

Canada
1 Post

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  16:06:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Macarena Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And as is frequently the case, using "hunt" as a euphemism for "kill", a very large number of cows are indeed dispatched by a captive bolt pistol, a kind of automated hammer.

I cannot decry the practice as it is purported to be reasonably humane most of the time. I do enjoy beef, and I am obviously conflicted; or as Kil might say: "cognitively dissonant" regarding the subject.

In the slaughter house, the steers are herded and jammed into a shute, usually 5-7 at a time. The dispatcher starts at the back of the shute, on the backs of the steers, and shoots the bolt into the skull above the eye. This doesn't kill the steer, and the steer can't fall down because they are jammed together so tight.
After all have been 'stunned', the side of the shute opens and the steers slide and fall down to the killing floor. A chain chocker is thrown around a back leg and they are hoisted up. The head skinner cuts the jugular vein and hangs a big bucket to catch the blood that is being pumped out by the still beating heart of the steer.

The cattle that are shipped to these 'Auschwitz like' facilities are scared shitless and full of adrenaline....they smell the blood of the place from quite a distance.

A person can de-cry hunting all they want, but unless they are total vegan and use no animal products, they have nothing to say.
To hunt animals that have no hormone intake, and have muscle tone is a good way to get active in your personal food intake
"Eat moose meat....50,000 wolves can't be wrong"

Macarena Man
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  01:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[pweeeeeet] Ladies and gentlemen, there is a godwin floating in the pool. Please remain calm and proceed to the nearest exit in an orderly manner. It you require assistance please signal one of the life guards and we they will aid you. Under no circumstances should you attempt to interact with the godwin. This section of the pool will be permanently relegated to oblivion as there is no way to remove a godwin once it has been pooted out. Thank you for your attention.

For the uninitiated: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1... In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis... Once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Edited by - chefcrsh on 01/07/2012 01:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  03:13:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Macarena Man

A person can de-cry hunting all they want, but unless they are total vegan and use no animal products, they have nothing to say.

There's a bloody big difference hunting for food and hunting for sports-and-pleasure-of-killing.

But then of course, there's population control. Which I would claim is an ethically legitimate reason for hunting. In Sweden boars aren't native, and they are quite disruptive to farmers and some other kinds of wildlife and dangerous to people, and the population is running out of control. Boars make meat, but some Swedish coastal areas have had problems with cormorant over-population which doesn't make a good food source. In my town, jackdaws are hunted because over-population.

"Eat moose meat....50,000 wolves can't be wrong"

Indeed. Elk stake isn't common in my part of the country, but grandma who lived up north frequently served elk. Delicious when prepared correctly, and served with mashed almond potatoes and blackcurrant jelly.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  05:33:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This question's been bugging me for some time: What's the opposite of "paradox"? And what's the antonym of the word?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/20/2012 05:50:20
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  06:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This question's been bugging me for some time: What's the opposite of "paradox"? And what's the antonym of the word?
"Straight-forward," maybe?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  15:40:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The antonym noun that comes closest to the opposite meaning of the noun "Paradox" is "Sophism"

Sophism:

an argument apparently correct in form but actually invalid; especially: such an argument used to deceive

Paradox:

a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

Edited by - bngbuck on 01/20/2012 15:45:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds.