Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  18:51:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I read that somewhere yesterday, but it don't sit right with me. One of the most common examples of a paradox is the sentence: I always lie. As a paradox it can't possibly be true, so that doesn't fit the definition. That definition you use is something like the second definition in my dictionary. But I note the example in my dictionary does not seem at all paradoxical.

I think there is no close opposite, and sophism is just being wedged in there. But I also think that paradox is one of those difficult words that is poorly used, and so poorly defined, like unique (also with a second definition (from poor common use) that ignores the primary definition and thus allows such awful prose as "kind of unique."

paradox |#712;par#601;#716;däks|
noun
a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory: a potentially serious conflict between quantum mechanics and the general theory of relativity known as the information paradox.
• a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement or proposition that when investigated or explained may prove to be well founded or true: in a paradox, he has discovered that stepping back from his job has increased the rewards he gleans from it.
• a situation, person, or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities: the mingling of deciduous trees with elements of desert flora forms a fascinating ecological paradox.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 01/20/2012 18:56:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  21:12:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got to thinking finally after Bill's lukewarmly suggested "sophism". I think, that since a sophism is by definition deceptively untrue, that one would be out as an opposite to paradox. But maybe "truism" or "tautology"?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  01:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was about 4, my family camped out in Yosemite National Park. I still remember that it was a lush place. I recall feeding moss by hand to fearless wild deer.

I also recall an incident having to do with our camp neighbors. They had a boy (let's call him Jimmy) about my own age, but unlike me, he did not have the speech impediment of baby-talk. I recall that Jimmy was a nice boy, and we played well together.

When I got to camp back from one romp with Jimmy, my father said, with a grin, "That Jimmy, he's a nice boy. He talks very clearly, too, doesn't he?"

I frowned as I answered, "Well, maybe he can talk purdy good," I allowed, "but he sure don' unnerstan' purdy good."

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2012 01:47:05
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  13:02:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Valentine's Day.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249929/googles_valentines_day_doodle_is_all_heart_and_some_politics.html

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  22:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The world is a little less funny now. Peter Bergman has died. I only knew of him through Firesign Theatre, but I will now endeavor to seek out his other stuff.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  00:36:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The world is a little less funny now. Peter Bergman has died. I only knew of him through Firesign Theatre, but I will now endeavor to seek out his other stuff.
I believe Bergman may have been the evening news reader at KPFA FM radio in Berkeley in early 1967. If so, as an unpaid volunteer, I wrote a number of his news scripts. Trying to research this. Not easy to find vast amounts of pre-Internet data on the Internet, and a memory for faces and names has never been my forte.

Edited to add: Nah, the news reader in Berkeley must have been another guy. Bergman was at LA's KPFK, I was at that station's Pacifica sister station, in Berkeley, KPFA. Also, I just now listened to a recording of Peter Bergman, and his voice is not as deep as the KPFA news guy. The KPFA news reader also had a full beard, which hid his face and makes it harder for me to tell him from Bergman, especially after all this time.

Fuhgettaboutit.

I'm sort of glad it wasn't Bergman, because the KPFA guy was kind of a dick. All the time I donated my work there, I kept getting better at writing in his style until the guy stopped editing my scripts entirely, but he never once thanked me.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/10/2012 02:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  03:45:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I've mentioned it somewhere else in passing, but I think perhaps it's worth full disclosure... It is the kind of news that really do belong in the water cooler thread so I should have posted it here in the first place:

March 1st I was elected full board member of the local Trade Union, at my work. Elected secretary of the board by the rest of the board members. The last six months our regular secretary had dropped out due to personal reason, and I'd been jumping in to help out.
The president, vice president, and the rest of the board members recognized my organizational skills, and especially my writing skills, and decided I would be an asset as a secretary.

This means that I'll be doing more work during day than I used to. I've already been called to participate in the salary negotiation. This is exciting times!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  04:14:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Mab! Do a good job for those who elected you, but try not to forget us.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  11:39:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Maybe I've mentioned it somewhere else in passing, but I think perhaps it's worth full disclosure... It is the kind of news that really do belong in the water cooler thread so I should have posted it here in the first place:

March 1st I was elected full board member of the local Trade Union, at my work. Elected secretary of the board by the rest of the board members. The last six months our regular secretary had dropped out due to personal reason, and I'd been jumping in to help out.
The president, vice president, and the rest of the board members recognized my organizational skills, and especially my writing skills, and decided I would be an asset as a secretary.

This means that I'll be doing more work during day than I used to. I've already been called to participate in the salary negotiation. This is exciting times!

Congratulations and oy! You know what I mean...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

williamsmith518
Spammer

Turkey
1 Post

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  01:01:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send williamsmith518 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Spam deleted - Dave W.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  02:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please keep your random English text and Turkish transvestite spam to yourself, "William".

[Quoted spam removed - Dave W.]

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  03:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave. Sorry I made things a little more troublesome by "replying with quote" to that spam.

Turks and transvestites: It was the spam part I didn't like. If you come to SFN with a skeptical mind and readable English, you are welcome no matter how you (cross-)dress, or which (if any) flag you salute.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  11:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who wrote the Bible? An Atheists answers!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  13:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Open Letter to Whoever Stole My Child's Inflatable Pool Last Night:

You're an asshole.

Signed,

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  08:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My back hurts. Sorry everyone who expected me to be at the chat. I'm on temporary sick leave. My physical therapist have set me up with exercises and meds to get me well again.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.