Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  09:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get better, Mab! From my own experience, I'd recommend some good Shiatsu/Finnish/Swedish massage and and a hot-tub/sauna. Even if it didn't work much, it would probably be pleasant in itself. But of course, that's in addition to proper scientific medical care. (And my occasional backaches have been from muscle cramping, not injury like you have.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/21/2012 09:29:54
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  14:13:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Get better, Mab! From my own experience, I'd recommend some good Shiatsu/Finnish/Swedish massage and and a hot-tub/sauna.

Sauna requires sitting, which is kind of a no-no. In fact, sitting makes it worse. Especially when I try to stand up again. But the massage was nice. The company I work for sponsors half the massage-bill up to $220US which comes in handy.
Thanks to meds and exersice I'm basically pain-free now.

Even if it didn't work much, it would probably be pleasant in itself.
I go to the massage-therapist on a semi-regular basis, just for the pleasure...

What annoys me the most is that I cannot sit down and spend hours upon hours in front of my computer, reading and writing to SFN. I'm confined to the sofa watching downloaded episodes of Andromeda. I've crunched 3 seasons i 7 days.

Anyhow...
Thanks for the concern everyone.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  21:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't considered the sitting part of sauna. Whenever I've had lower back pain, it's been cramping. When I've gone to a trained Shiatsu masseuse/masseur, I've always skipped away with no pain at all. Seems the combination of the hot-tub and vigorous walking-on-my-back massage breaks the pain cycle for me. (Some event causes the initial muscle cramping, the cramping causes pain, the pain causes more cramping -- that seems my cycle. But a genuine skeletal injury must be a much different thing.) The fact that Shiatsu is based upon pressure applied to the acupuncture points of traditional Asian medicine woo I just ignore.

It's great you have such fine medical coverage, and that the pain is now under control. You're gonna need a whole other way of working with a computer, now that sitting is out. I have not clue #1 of how to do that.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  02:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chalk this up as another win for socialized medicine.

Did I mentioned that I had a wart surgically removed for $20US? (That's standard patient fee) It's been sitting right on my chest, and recently I've scratched it in my sleep, until it was bleeding. The doctor examining it agreed that we might as well remove it and asked me if I was ok with having a doctor student do the procedure under her supervision, for practice and accumulated experience. I said ok, and 30 minutes later it was done. I'm due to remove the stitches next Thursday.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/23/2012 02:50:39
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  03:54:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes on that back issue Dr. Is it a lower back issue? I fond ibuprofen works fairly well during the day for an over the counter drug and cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) works wonders for me but taken at night. It seems getting the mussels calmed down is the trick. I also noticed posture can be a mitigator.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  05:18:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I chalk this up as another win for socialized medicine.

Did I mentioned that I had a wart surgically removed for $20US? (That's standard patient fee) It's been sitting right on my chest, and recently I've scratched it in my sleep, until it was bleeding. The doctor examining it agreed that we might as well remove it and asked me if I was ok with having a doctor student do the procedure under her supervision, for practice and accumulated experience. I said ok, and 30 minutes later it was done. I'm due to remove the stitches next Thursday.
There's your problem right there! The wart removal unbalanced your torso, causing the spine injury due to the resulting backward tilt. You need to have a tiny silicone wart implant put into your chest to restore the vital balance. Or does your fancy-schmacy socialized medicine even bother to remediate its own errors?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:06:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Best wishes on that back issue Dr. Is it a lower back issue? I fond ibuprofen works fairly well during the day for an over the counter drug and cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) works wonders for me but taken at night.

I asked my physical therapist to have a word with a doctor, and I got precription for diklofenac. Cost of prescribed drugs counts toward a limit where prescription drugs starts being covered by the national health insurance (which means that I'll get it for free). My kidney-condition requires me to get blood-pressure meds anyway, so I'll hit that limit a little earlier. In fact, even off the counter meds count toward this limit if they are prescribed by a doctor. I got a stash of Paracetamol which I didn't pay for by this coverage, including some tramadol and oxycodon leftover from my hip surgery.

I thank my maker that I will never become a oxycodon-addict: I initially took some for my back pain, but I felt more nauceaus from them than pain-relieved. After that, I decided to leave them alone.
I guess they only work if you really, really need them.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:14:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's your problem right there!
My initial pain came from muscles close to my artificial hipjoint, so I speculated that an infection entered my body through poorly decontaminated instruments during the wart-procedure and took hold where my prosthesis is located. But an infection usually means fewer, which I didn't have, so after some thinking I decided it was probably the back. Hence the physical therapist. She sorted everything out.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's your problem right there!
My initial pain came from muscles close to my artificial hipjoint, so I speculated that an infection entered my body through poorly decontaminated instruments during the wart-procedure and took hold where my prosthesis is located. But an infection usually means fewer, which I didn't have, so after some thinking I decided it was probably the back. Hence the physical therapist. She sorted everything out.
Okay, as long as you're not falling over backwards.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  01:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I notice that I have (a few hundred posts ago) passed filthy's record, to take second place in number of posts at SFN. I never expect to pass Dave W.

Woo-hoo, I'm number two! Eat that, noobs!

Which reminds me to wonder: When is da filth gonna return? I miss him and his Southern wit so much!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2012 04:39:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  06:53:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I never expect to pass Dave W.
Well, there's your problem: you're making 0.36 fewer posts per day than I am.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  07:52:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on a trip to a relatives-gathering in eastern Finland. We arrived by car a day earlier than the rest of the company inbound from Sweden. Yesterday evening when my brother and another guy who accompanied me in my car were having sauna, I was sitting alone with my host who doesn't speak neither Swedish nor English (and I don't speak Finnish) watching TV. On TV they were running some Idol-inspired singing contest, whoever they were only allowd to sing Finnish tango (a special sub-type of tango which include harmonica and is mainly melancholic).
While I was sitting there reflecting on my situation, I found it patently absurd. I Sweden, we often joke about Finns' nationality quirks, like heavy drinking vodka or moonshine, brandishing knives when it comes to fights, language truly un-decipherable. And I realised that the Finnish melancholic tango is also a trademark of Finland just like their vodka and cludberry-liqueur.
Not that I like tango in any way, but I suddenly recognised that I don't hate my Finnish inheritage as much as I used to think. Weird as I find them from time to time, they can be pretty charming in some odd sort of way.
And I love their cloudberry-liqueur.

Today, the rest of my Swedish and Swedish-speaking-Finnish relatives shows up, and I'll have access to translators who can convey to my hosts how thankful I am to them for taking us in. The younger ones (below 40) will also speak English.

Did I mention that I love cloudberries?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  08:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must must try to bring some of the famously irrepressible jollity of Sweden to your melancholic Finnish relatives:

Either that, or bring Lutfisk.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2012 08:59:04
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  23:36:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't inflict Lutfisk on anyone. Not even Kent Howind, Fred Phelps, or Jerry Falwell (may he decompose quickly that we may re-use his present parking space). Besides, Lutfisk is reserved mainly for christmas and easter.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  02:29:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't inflict Lutfisk on anyone. Not even Kent Howind, Fred Phelps, or Jerry Falwell (may he decompose quickly that we may re-use his present parking space). Besides, Lutfisk is reserved mainly for christmas and easter.
Not being someone who likes eating fish in the first place, it does puzzle me that any Scandinavians at all would think that taking dried/salted fish and then making it gelatinous with lye would produce a delicacy. I'm not saying it's bad: I'm saying I don't even like to see photos of it, much less come close enough to sample it and find out exactly how much I detest it.

Seems appropriate that Lutfisk reserved for Xmas and Easter, though. At Xmas, it might remind one of the Holy Afterbirth, and at Easter, of the rotting Zombie Jesus.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.