Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  09:15:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm currently sitting, watching a technician refitting the stock speakers in my car with a fresh Dynaudio custom kit.

He was very meticuously measureing everything both twice and three times before he started cutting the plastic frame holding the stock 8"(!) front door mid-bass speaker. I like way this guy works, and I'm sure when all this is done, the sound will be great! Dynaudio is a premium level speaker system manufacturer.

Together with an Alpine digital sound processor, my car stereo will be all levels of awesome!!

I'd be nervous about having so much invested in an automobubble. I just use a bluetooth headset that doesn't seal the ears so I can still hear the environment. News streams, podcasts and music at my fingertips with my iPhone. But of course, I don't get the body-shaking bass.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky
I'd be nervous about having so much invested in an automobubble. I just use a bluetooth headset that doesn't seal the ears so I can still hear the environment. News streams, podcasts and music at my fingertips with my iPhone. But of course, I don't get the body-shaking bass.
I suppose you have to pit it against the actual value of the car. My system is fitted so as to not show what's inside, so I'm not afraid of it getting stolen. But this operation will set me back some, but not more than I can afford. A guesstimate around $2000, but we're not done yet, hours are trickling by as the setup needs a little more inside body work than anticipated in order to make everything fit. The DSP has been sitting in my car for almost a year already.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/30/2012 11:21:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  13:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just use a bluetooth headset that doesn't seal the ears so I can still hear the environment.
Who wants to do that?! Whenever I accidentally turn down the radio, all I hear are the screams and horns.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  19:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I just use a bluetooth headset that doesn't seal the ears so I can still hear the environment.
Who wants to do that?! Whenever I accidentally turn down the radio, all I hear are the screams and horns.
Yeah, man, talk about distracting!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  19:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mentioned, Mab, maybe a couple of years ago, that climate people were expecting (parts of?) Scandinavia to actually have colder winters as most of the globe heated. Have you observed that there in Sweden?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  02:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really. Last winter was mild, but the two before were unusually cold with more snow than any other winter in the last two decades. But all within the natural variation of weather.

You might be thinking about that Gulf Stream that transport warm water from the Gulf of Mexico across the Atlantic, past the coast of France and up along the coast of Norway. It warms up the weather in Scandinavia and moderates the winter. Norway have ice-free fjords thanks to the Gulf Stream.
Melting polar ice north of Iceland may affect salinity of the North Atlantic water which may eventually interfere with the Gulf Stream. This would remove the dampening effect on coldest days. Stockholm could potentially end up as cold as Moscow, or worse.
Stockholm is only roughly 1000km south of the Arctic circle. 1000km north of the Antarctic circle is still in the general area of Antarctica... Along with everything that goes with it.
A little like "The day after tomorrow" (what a bad movie!) but not as severe.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 12/01/2012 02:50:36
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  06:16:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Not really. Last winter was mild, but the two before were unusually cold with more snow than any other winter in the last two decades. But all within the natural variation of weather.

You might be thinking about that Gulf Stream that transport warm water from the Gulf of Mexico across the Atlantic, past the coast of France and up along the coast of Norway. It warms up the weather in Scandinavia and moderates the winter. Norway have ice-free fjords thanks to the Gulf Stream.
Melting polar ice north of Iceland may affect salinity of the North Atlantic water which may eventually interfere with the Gulf Stream. This would remove the dampening effect on coldest days. Stockholm could potentially end up as cold as Moscow, or worse.
Stockholm is only roughly 1000km south of the Arctic circle. 1000km north of the Antarctic circle is still in the general area of Antarctica... Along with everything that goes with it.
A little like "The day after tomorrow" (what a bad movie!) but not as severe.
Yeah, now I recall you did mention the Gulf Stream, and that makes sense. And one shouldn't expect more severe frost in Scandinavia until and unless the Gulf Stream actually stops circulating.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  07:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

You mentioned, Mab, maybe a couple of years ago, that climate people were expecting (parts of?) Scandinavia to actually have colder winters as most of the globe heated. Have you observed that there in Sweden?
According to the latest issue of Scientific American, the nasty winters Europe has had lately caught climatologists by surprise. Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall, but the blurb reads:
Global warming has increased the loss of summer sea ice in the Arctic, which has altered atmospheric conditions that influence winter weather in the U.S. and Europe.

The changes lead to invasions of Arctic air into the middle latitudes, increasing the likelihood of severe winter outbreaks, which occurred in the eastern U.S. and northern Europe in 2010 and 2011 and in eastern Europe in January 2012.

The deck may be stacked for harsh outbreaks during the 2012–2013 winter in North America and Europe.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  03:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week my wife was hit by bad news. The company she works for is closing down all production in Sweden, and she'll be out of work by mid-summer. What remains to be seen is what kind of severance package she'll get: She's been with them more than 20 years, ever since she finished school. She majored in economics, but ended up on the manufacturing floor like so many other of her class-mates.

At least the 6 months until her lay-off is giving us time to go over our economy and make adjustments, and her to decide what career changes to make, including going back to school.
She said she's happy she had time to buy her newest camera and equipment before she got the bad news. At least now, she has all she needs for her hobbies...

Blatant plug for her website: http://liselottel.mine.nu
Comments are welcome.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  12:11:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In early November, the company I worked for announced they were laying off workers in order to reduce cost. The last 1½ months I've been busy participating in lay-off negotiations on the union side.

This Wednesday was "Tell Day", when everyone got the news in person from their respective supervisor if they got to stay or leave. I arrived at work 08:00 hrs and did tours around in the production to make sure I was available to my co-workers if they had any questions.
73 white collars and 33 blue collars were laid off in total.

It was a tough day, because though I could not change the number of people getting laid off, I had the opportunity to make sure people weren't being indiscriminately chosen for the out-list, and that qualifiedand hard working people and not brown-noses got to stay.

We have three shifts on a rotating schedule, which meant that in order for me and my 2 fellow union negotiators were to be available to everyone, we had to stay a while. I didn't clock out until 01:00 Thursday, making it a 17 hour workday.
Exhausting, but in the end I feel proud of my work.

17 of the laid off blue-collars were older than 58 years, and they got a pre-pension deal which gets them a sum of at least $1700/month (after taxes and complete health coverage insurance as per universal health coverage) until they are 65 years old and qualify for regular state provided pension. Plus they are free to seek employment elsewhere without loosing their benefits.
The rest of the workers who were laid-off got 14 months full salary, also without any strings attached. If they find a new job the day after they finish here, then so much better.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  14:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can only think how serious you took you duties for those you were negotiating for. It seems they had a formatible advocate in the corner from the packages they got.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  16:19:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other news, I've decided I want to learn how to play the cello, but have nowhere to learn it here.
(And good job, Mab! :))

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  01:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I can only think how serious you took you duties for those you were negotiating for. It seems they had a formatible advocate in the corner from the packages they got.
The actual packages weren't thanks to me though, sorry if I gave you that impression. Those were negotiated at Ericsson headquarters in Stockholm (by one of my local co-unionists)
But one thing is for sure: My activity here on Skeptic Friends Network provided me with skills that became useful during the negotiations. I was chief data analyst but also made several arguments based on the fact that I was the only one in the negotiation-room who actually did work on the floor. The other two representatives on the union side work full time with administrative duties.
I've learned a lot during this time, both about how negotiations are done, but most importantly about myself.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  10:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I guess I kind of read more than was there. My mistake. thank for the correction. Good job anyway!!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  00:57:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it rains it pours. Bad news keep piling up: this weekend a valued coworker passed away. He'd been calling in sick from time to time this last year, but his death was unexpected.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.06 seconds.