Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  14:33:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the eleventh consecutive year, I was elected president of the local astronomy club.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  20:13:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

For the eleventh consecutive year, I was elected president of the local astronomy club.
Congradulations!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  20:31:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sad and happy for you, Mab.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  11:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! These last two months has been a roller-coaster ride, emotionally. Exhausting.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  15:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My poor dear. Happy and sad indeed. :(

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  04:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost a year ago, we were discussing nasty food stuff and lutfisk and surströmming came up:

Originally posted by HalfMooner
[Seems appropriate that Lutfisk reserved for Xmas and Easter, though. At Xmas, it might remind one of the Holy Afterbirth, and at Easter, of the rotting Zombie Jesus.

Are you sure you're not confusing lutfisk with fermented herring?
Lutfisk has a smell somewhat similar to cooked egg-whites. Fermented herring (or Surströmming in Swedish) truly smells like what a zombie invasion would smell like. A wrongly opened tin-can (which is pressurised from the fermentation process) would render a house uninhabitable for a few weeks. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but it would be an interesting Mythbusters episode similar to the "get rid of skunk odour"-episode.
If a can is opened outdoors, neighbours at least five blocks downwind will know...

A can of Surströmming should be opened under water, and the fish rinsed in flowing water or preferrably milk. Then rolled up in thin soft bread together with some sourcream and onion.

You should not try this at home without proper guidance from a professional.
These guys tried anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q7GOu5h2rc
Did I mention surströmming smells bad?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  13:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A can of Surströmming should be opened under water, and the fish rinsed in flowing water or preferrably milk. Then rolled up in thin soft bread together with some sourcream and onion.

These guys tried anyway:

Pretty much my reaction to eating Durian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour that is strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as pleasantly fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine, raw sewage, and smelly socks[citation needed]. The persistence of its odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  15:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

These guys tried anyway:

Wow! Seems no one told these guys how to open and handle this pressurized "Gastronomical A-Bomb". Quite an insight into what people will do but it's really no surprise that others can get people to do anything. Like eat their own vomit.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  17:47:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turns out I WAS chasing unicorns: 2/4 cellos are actually referred to as 1/2 cellos, the way, you know, all logic and math meant it to be.
My cello teacher told me they were actually different - that 2/4s was bigger, for some reason.
So I wasn't finding it anywhere. Well, maybe because they do not exist: what exists is the 1/2. The way I imagined. The guy on the music store told us as much, we checked the measurements on the Internet and yep, that's exactly it.
And this, ladies and gents, is why arguments from authority totally suck.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  05:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Turns out I WAS chasing unicorns: 2/4 cellos are actually referred to as 1/2 cellos, the way, you know, all logic and math meant it to be.
My cello teacher told me they were actually different - that 2/4s was bigger, for some reason.
So I wasn't finding it anywhere. Well, maybe because they do not exist: what exists is the 1/2. The way I imagined. The guy on the music store told us as much, we checked the measurements on the Internet and yep, that's exactly it.

Lessee, two percieved experts differed in opinion. The music teacher (one would assume she was familiar with the tools of her craft) and the music store employee (one would expect he was familiar with his stock) held differing opinions.

You, being a skeptic and being posed with differing expert opinions, researched the question and discovered that the cello teacher was wrong. Applied skepticism for the win.

Brava, Siberia.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  06:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Lessee, two percieved experts differed in opinion. The music teacher (one would assume she was familiar with the tools of her craft) and the music store employee (one would expect he was familiar with his stock) held differing opinions.

You, being a skeptic and being posed with differing expert opinions, researched the question and discovered that the cello teacher was wrong. Applied skepticism for the win.

Brava, Siberia.

*bows*
I can now buy my damn cello.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  08:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, have you discussed this enlightenment with your teacher? Some people care not to continue to believe in fallacies once exposed, while others choose to wallow in it. Your teacher might like to know. It also might be interesting to hear the justification for this, if one is offered.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  16:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Now, have you discussed this enlightenment with your teacher? Some people care not to continue to believe in fallacies once exposed, while others choose to wallow in it. Your teacher might like to know. It also might be interesting to hear the justification for this, if one is offered.

I had class with her this saturday. She guaranteed me the cello's cover said 2/4.
Then in a sudden moment of math clarity, she realized 2/4 = 1/2.
Then she slapped her forehead and felt real stupid for a moment.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  18:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I had class with her this saturday. She guaranteed me the cello's cover said 2/4.
Then in a sudden moment of math clarity, she realized 2/4 = 1/2.
Then she slapped her forehead and felt real stupid for a moment.

Your probably the first student to notice this discrepancy or confusion, certainly I would think your the first to bring it to her attention. You've done her a service. She's not likely be repeating this with other students. Good for you, you've made her a better instructor. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  20:42:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do cellos exist that aren't 1/2? Like maybe 1/3 or something? What does the fraction even mean?

Ah, Wikipedia is my friend: the fraction refers to the air volume within the body of the instrument relative to "full size" cellos (which are sometimes known as "4/4" cellos).

Edited to add: so 2/4 and 1/2 would be identical. From now on, Sib, you should say that you own a 37/74 cello. Or pick your favorite number and double it for the denominator.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.73 seconds.