Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  20:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Happy birthday, Machi4velli and Dr. Mabuse!
From me too!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  04:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Happy birthday, Machi4velli and Dr. Mabuse!

Thank you!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  07:06:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well… I'm kind of in the hospital again with what is being described as a mild stroke. That is, I'm fine except I'm having a little trouble reading and other visual problems that weren’t as obvious to me until I hit my own parking curb, twice.

Of course, this probably sounds bad. Being told you've had a stroke is one of those things on the things you don't want to be told list. A given. But like most of the things that jump out and bite us, these critters range widely in size and viciousness. The visual impairment that’s affecting my reading is already much improved or I wouldn't be writing this now. Everything I wrote yesterday was a serious chore and a tip off to me that something wasn’t right. Writing this post, other than I’m on my on my old Mac book, which presents its own challenges, was comparatively easy. I expect a full recovery and the doctor has told me that my expectation is more than reasonable.

Being human, I did check with Dr. Google before heading out to the ER.

Note: I left the same post on FB.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  19:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you're saying that a little stroking can lead to blindness. Good to know. Thanks for the pro tip.

Seriously: get better. Don't let it happen again.

And I don't know how many times I've advised people (including my own family members) to avoid trying to get a medical degree at Google University's School of Medicine. If something isn't right, go see an actual doctor. I know the cost benefit to GU looks great (because every class is audit-only), but the risk is overwhelming. No matter how short the class, the students walk out thinking they're expert diagnosticians. Someone needs to pull GU's accreditation.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  02:56:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get well soon, Kil!

And rumours have it that you're still fit for CSICON Las Vegas, so I've sent you the AAA. Annual SFN Ambassador's Allowance. Enjoy!

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  08:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes for a full recovery. Kil.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  09:56:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you're saying that a little stroking can lead to blindness. Good to know. Thanks for the pro tip.

Seriously: get better. Don't let it happen again.

And I don't know how many times I've advised people (including my own family members) to avoid trying to get a medical degree at Google University's School of Medicine. If something isn't right, go see an actual doctor. I know the cost benefit to GU looks great (because every class is audit-only), but the risk is overwhelming. No matter how short the class, the students walk out thinking they're expert diagnosticians. Someone needs to pull GU's accreditation.
Well you know... I was just checking symptoms. And what Dr. Google told me was to get immediate medical attention. Go to the ER.

It was actually WebMD and the Mayo Clinic. Both had the same advice. I think there are some things that are obvious enough for even Dr. Google to get right.

Of course, deep down I already knew what I should do.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  14:34:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Best wishes for a full recovery. Kil.
Thanks!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  14:37:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Get well soon, Kil!

And rumours have it that you're still fit for CSICON Las Vegas, so I've sent you the AAA. Annual SFN Ambassador's Allowance. Enjoy!
You know what? I've just been knocked back pretty good. Thanks Mab!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  14:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Get well soon, Kil!

You know what? I've just been knocked back pretty good. Thanks Mab!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  12:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's finally official. My employer will be laying off most of the employees at my work. Myself included.

Exactly when I'll walk is unclear right now, we (the unions) are still in negotiation, and are expected to be done by second half of January. By that time, I'll probably have an end date around midsummer or there about. Provided nothing unexpected happens. As long as the blue-collar union IF Metall has a larger number of workers still active in the company, I'll have administrative duties at the union office (provided our members still have confidence in me at the annual meeting)

I firmly believe my employer is making a fatal mistake by dismantling the current business in Kumla, but I still have to thank them for the generous severance package we all get (though we union guys had to fight hard for).

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  17:46:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's finally official. My employer will be laying off most of the employees at my work. Myself included.

Exactly when I'll walk is unclear right now, we (the unions) are still in negotiation, and are expected to be done by second half of January. By that time, I'll probably have an end date around midsummer or there about. Provided nothing unexpected happens. As long as the blue-collar union IF Metall has a larger number of workers still active in the company, I'll have administrative duties at the union office (provided our members still have confidence in me at the annual meeting)

I firmly believe my employer is making a fatal mistake by dismantling the current business in Kumla, but I still have to thank them for the generous severance package we all get (though we union guys had to fight hard for).
Oh bummer. Is there a future with the union or do you have to start looking for employment? You seem to have several marketable skills.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  01:18:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, yes you are right.
I have good experience at electronics and especially troubleshooting circuit boards. I'm considered one of the best where I work, and known as to go-to guy for help and instructions, as I gladly share knowledge I have. My reputation will certainly serve me when it gets time to look for work elsewhere.
There are a couple of companies which have contacted Ericsson, looking for high electronics competence, and at least one has shown interest in taking over the existing production equipment that will be left over.

On the other hand, I also see career opportunities with the union. Not within my current blue-collar union, but the union organizing in the commerce sector are facing many retirements in the near future and they are looking for people to fill the gaps. First, they have a 19 week education program with continuous evaluation for the upcoming position, potentially a regional ombudsman. It could mean a 25% bump in pay from what I earn right now, but the kind of work I'll be doing will be pretty far outside my comfort-zone. I would need a lot more training.
On the other hand, it might give me an opportunity to put my English to good use, as an alternative career track.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2017 :  03:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Times flies quickly, and I haven't been updating on my work situation.

The Union career plan fell through, and I've been focusing on the electronics engineer path.

I wrote:
My reputation will certainly serve me when it gets time to look for work elsewhere.
...and it looks like it did. Just before mid-summer I was approached by a blue-collar union representative I've met once or twice before during regional meetings. He worked for a company which used to be called "Nitro Nobel" (indeed, old Alfred Nobel's company), and he told me the company was looking for an electronics troubleshooter and wanted me to apply for the job because he'd heard a lot of good things about me. And even though this new job would be organized under white collar union affiliation.
Before the summer holidays I went there for a quick visit to the workplace, I met my potential co-workers and I got the impression that we would get along well. Then a job interview with the supervisor's boss and an HR-guy which went very well.
I answered as honestly as possible, and it felt like my answers were well received. Finally, they asked what my salary claims was. I thought about it for a little while, and gave them a number which I felt was reasonable, and on par with what I made on average last year (sans swing-shift compensation since I would be working day time). The bonus being an extra week off paid, to match this year's raise. I will now have 6 weeks paid leave each year.

A few weeks ago they called me to give me preliminary notice that they wanted me for the job. This Tuesday I went there to sign on. There was no salary negotiation, the number I had given them was already on the contract. Which made me think "maybe I should have asked for more... on the other hand, I got as much as I asked for, who am I to argue with that?"

My last day at work for Ericsson AB will be the last of August.
My first day at work for Orica will be 1st of September.
A seamless transition. The only downer is that my travel time to work - one way - will increase from 10min to 45min.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2017 :  08:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Mab!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds.