Community Forums
 General Discussion
 evason
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kingcynic

1 Post

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  15:13:38  Show Profile Send kingcynic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I just saw the Evasons. It was a psychic show and they were really convincing. I couldn't figure out how the did it. Has anyone seen them? They couldn't be for real--they're just too good. I tried to logically explain each routine. Some of them were numbers
games that could be a super hard type soduko game for a math
genius, but other routines were way out there. I know
the people chosen were really random--how do they know
what your name is or what you have in your pocket if you
are chosen at random? How did they superimpose a picture
of someone dead on a movie screen and have it come out on a
Polaroid picture? The subjects really were random and the
photographer was random. I saw the developed picture. It
wasn't a blurr that could have been anyone's grandmother--
it was a picture of a real person and couldn't be mistaken
for someone else. Does anyone know what's up?

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  15:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some quick research turned up the following quote:

Jeff & Tessa don't call themselves psychics or magicians, and they don't claim to have “supernatural powers” However, they have no secret assistants and they do not use any concealed electronic communication devices. In fact, they offer $25,000 to anybody who can prove otherwise!

The Evasons focus on generating enthusiasm and creating a sense of wonder. Regardless of whether or not you accept ESP as a reality, their goal is to entertain the believers and the skeptics alike with a mind-boggling performance that leaves people talking!

Looks like these guys are top notch professional mentalists. Everything they do is a clever trick. With some effort, you can research some of this stuff on Google or the library.

I have a mentalism trick that I perform at parties. I write the word "carrot" on a slip of paper ahead of time. I get a volunteer and ask them to hold the folded paper, then tell them to answer my questions as quickly as I can. I ask them 5-6 addition questions very quickly. All my questions have the same answer - fifteen. (What's nine plus six? What's ten plus five? What's seven plus eight? etc.) Then I say "Name a vegetable". Better than 90% of the time the person says "Carrot".

Then I tell them to read the paper. Never fails to astonish. Now and then I fail, and it's merely funny, although one or more people watching will usually volunteer that they had thought of carrot.

I'm guessing that there is some kind of ingrained word association - fifteen:carrot :: 15:Karat? I avoid picking a person for whom English is not the first language, and I try not to pick someone who is beyond tipsy as the latter will think too much and come up with a different vegetable (which is frequently zucchini, but maybe that's just my friends).

- TW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.