New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  14:53:17  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Sure looks like it, according to Denialism blog!

I remember when some of the RR people were concerned that Angel was actually using evil magic or something on his show. Turns out he's actually on our side. (though with them, skepticism and atheism are also evil...)

He's asking for actual proof of psychic abilities from Geller on that show, and Geller's getting cheesed off.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/01/2007 14:58:09

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  15:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am skeptical that this is some elaborate "show" to drive ratings...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  15:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, Chris Angel has always admitted that he is an entertainer. He has never claimed psychic power, and has recently (this week I think) been on Larry King and very clearly stated that what he does is a combination of illusion, trickery, and skill.

I think he is a friend of Randi also.

As for a ratings ploy? Sure, this is the standard model for all of cable news also. Get two people from opposite sides of an issue and let them argue. I call it the Jerry Springer format. Doesn't matter what the two people have to say as long as they end up in a shouting match by the end of the segment.

It works.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  16:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was shocked to see some pretty good stuff there. Chris Angels' ambush of the over-acting Jim Callahan, the fake psychic (excuse the redundancy: "fake psychic" is like saying "sour vinegar") was both interestingly dramatic and effective. It was also a nice touch that Angel challenged Uri Geller at the same time.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  19:30:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can tell you on personal knowledge that Randi was quite protective of early Angel, then got pretty concerned after I and several others contacted him with direct quotes and video clips of early Angel's pronouncements and claims of "supernatural" Spiritual powers!

You can bet that present Angel's skeptical stance is a direct result of Randi's intervention!

I personally think that the scuffle with Jim Callahan was TV Theater, carefully scripted and rehearsed! Callahan was far too transparent as a fake psychic! Angel, Geller, Callahan, the MC,....all actors on a stage on Fox "Reality"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  19:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I can tell you on personal knowledge that Randi was quite protective of early Angel, then got pretty concerned after I and several others contacted him with direct quotes and video clips of early Angel's pronouncements and claims of "supernatural" Spiritual powers!

You can bet that present Angel's skeptical stance is a direct result of Randi's intervention!

I personally think that the scuffle with Jim Callahan was TV Theater, carefully scripted and rehearsed! Callahan was far too transparent as a fake psychic! Angel, Geller, Callahan, the MC,....all actors on a stage on Fox "Reality"
You may be right about all that. If so, the finale of the series may be scripted for Geller to be exposed by Angel, and to admit he's just a magician. That would be good theater, anyway.

Also, the announcer grabbed Callahan before Callahan made any aggressive move. The confrontation did look staged, on consideration.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/01/2007 19:40:31
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  20:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting clip.

I don't know if I could watch the whole show or not. I like the idea of Chriss Angel giving them a hard time, but all that huffing and puffing from the contestants may be too much to bear. I don't think it's showing anywhere here in Oz, but I'm sure I could find and download an episode from somewhere...

BTW, a few of us were discussing this not too long ago over in this thread.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 11/01/2007 20:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  04:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't watch it now, will later, but one thing I say - I'll take Criss Angel over Ol' Uri anytime. He's mighty creative and, methinks, quite honest in what he does. Plus, he's much hotter.

(what? I'm a girl!)

Oh, and has anyone seen the episode where he debunks psychic surgery? I found that one quite interesting.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 11/02/2007 04:29:12
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:21:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Cectic:

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Randi's SWIFT this morning:

BORING

Last night, the highly-touted “Phenomenon show appeared on NBC-TV. It was right on time, but that's about all that can be said for it.

Happily, Criss Angel maintained – as he'd told me he would – his decision to treat the matter logically, critically, and in a straightforward manner.

Angel was smart enough to get snug with Randi early in his TV career. And there is no doubt that it is paying off for him. He is the de facto replacement for Copperfield, he is getting his own showroom at the Luxor, the guys with the tigers are, tragically, gone...

Criss is flying high. He is even starting to gradually shorten his hair!

I have see all of the big guys on stage many times, but I yearn to watch Angel in live performance. Off to Vegas, soon!
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:57:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.....I just saw were Angel turns 40 next month! He looks like he's in his late twenties......must be his "style" and some good genetics.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  13:00:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

Wow.....I just saw were Angel turns 40 next month! He looks like he's in his late twenties......must be his "style" and some good genetics.

Or he is in league with Lucifer.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  14:41:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobody could be as good as Angel is and be in their twenties. That level of performance moxie and skill only comes with many years of accumulated experience. Ask Randi about conjuror's skill levels and correlation to age. I have a e-pen pal named Jacob Spinney who has Randi as a mentor. Remarkable magician at 20! Nothing even approaching Angel, or P&T,Ricky Jay, Cyril Takayama or Copperfield --who is going to have to do some MAJOR magic of some sort soon to remain viable. Damn shame. Another zipper problem gone wild!

Copperfield was undoubtedly the best at what he did because he has so damn much money. He can concieve and execute illusions that others can't touch because he has the money to buy incredible technology!
Somebody in Nevada is currently building Copperfield the largest Tesla coil ever built! For magic effects of some sort! If he survives the legal battles, he'll be making it rain and lightning indoors!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  16:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Chris Angel. But so far, seeing Penn and Teller are the only reasons I can think of to go to Vegas, outside of The Amazing Meeting...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  18:02:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I would like to see Chris Angel. But so far, seeing Penn and Teller are the only reasons I can think of to go to Vegas, outside of The Amazing Meeting...
Yeah, those two things, plus the hoochies and the gambling.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  00:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil and Half moon.....

You have to be kidding about the gambling? I certainly understand the hoochies, a few of the best restaurants in the world, some amazing shows (the Cirque, for example), astounding architecture, unbelievable displays of excess, some defying understanding, billionaire after billionaire in the (usually fat) flesh, these are just some of my favorite things! When the dog bites, when the...

I think Vegas is one of the most fascinating and incredible places in the United States. For a few days. But the gambling..? Absolutely not!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.