Religion
 Senate Panel Probes 6 Top Televangelists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  22:48:55  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's about sodding time!!

The good news:
The six ministries identified as being under investigation by the committee are led by: Paula White, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, Eddie Long, Kenneth Copeland and Benny Hinn. Three of the six - Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar - also sit on the Board of Regents for the Oral Roberts University.

The letters sent Monday were the culmination of a long investigation fueled in part by complaints from Ole Anthony, a crusader against religious fraud who operates the Dallas-based Trinity Foundation, which describes itself as a watchdog monitoring religious media, fraud and abuse. "We've been working with them for two years," Anthony told CBS News. "We have furnished them with enough information to fill a small Volkswagen."

Not only do these people fleece their flocks, some, like Hinn, do so with tragic results from his "faith healing" stunts. Even WorldNut Daily hates him.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/06/2007 22:52:43

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  23:59:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  04:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo indeed. But if I were a gamblin' man, and I am, I'd put my money on at least some of the fakirs. These bastards know the law even better than those who wrote it and can afford all of lawyers that they need.

I would love to see Hinn & Copeland, et al., go down a'la Hovind and Bakker, but I must remind: it's been tried before with indifferent results; and Hovind & Bakker are idiots, and Keith & Benny are not.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  05:13:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets just hope they forget to bring the KY when they get on with the probing. As filthy said (sort of), these bastards are so loose the worst they will probably suffer is a bit of bruising, hell, there may even be one or two who enjoy a good probing!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  21:45:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude beat me to it. My thoughts exactly.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  09:18:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is about time. How people can send money to someone that is preaching the gospel knowing that they go back to multi million dollar houses and private planes is beyond me. They contradict what they say and teach with their lives.

I think Benny Hinn and Copeland are the biggest offenders.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  15:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears that some Catholics have been doing some checking themselves, likely keeping an eye on the competition rather than actually caring about people's interests, but that's the cynic in me talking.

Anyhoo, here's some of what they found:
For decades the Dallas-based Trinity Foundation has collected details of the luxuries TV preachers lavish on themselves, and has turned over some of its findings to Grassley at his request.

One early, and ongoing, foundation project that encouraged members to take homeless people into their own homes found that at the root of their destitution was the fact they gave to televangelists.

According to foundation president Ole Anthony, "We learned a significant percentage spent their last dollar on this heavenly lottery," a term he used to disparage televangelists

In an interview with Catholic News Service, he said Trinity Foundation leaders wrote to the televangelists whose program pitches resulted in people's homelessness. Not only didn't they write back, "they didn't even answer my phone calls," he said.

Anthony said when the foundation complained to the National Association of Religious Broadcasters, the reply was: "We can't do anything." Then the foundation went to local authorities. The program pitches were "fraud per se in many cases," Anthony asserted, but "they told me it was protected speech."

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.53 seconds.