Richard Roberts quits as head of ORU
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  21:17:06  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Televangelist Richard Roberts, recently having his and his families fingers caught too deeply in the till, has finally stepped down as boss of Tulsa's Oral Roberts University. He had been on a "temporary" voluntary suspension as ORU President.

The Board of Regents of ORU are made up of greedy faith healers and fundies, several of whom are presently being investigated by Congress. I suspect they will put Richard Roberts' dad, Oral, back in charge. Since everyone guarding the chicken-house are rabid foxes, I would not expect the least bit of reform to be so much as considered.

If I'm right, old Oral will soon be making his patented heart-wrenching pleas for money for ORU, as the university has been left $50 million in debt after Richard Roberts' reign of looting and abuse.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/24/2007 00:34:46

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  22:43:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't bet against that prediction, even if it isn't old Oral doing the leg work to swindle money out of the faithful, someone will be doing it on behalf of ORU.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  22:44:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And is it just me, or is there something to laugh at when a man named Oral has a son named Dick?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  22:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess he needs more time at home to polish his cross?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  03:39:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing about it all is that the The Bored of Regents had to know all about what was happening. "Dick" & wife were so outrageously flagrant & stupid that even a Republican could have seen it, maybe.

So whereaway now? Will they put forth an apology complete with Swaggert-tears and claims that they fell into the devil's trap? And if so, will the Board accept it (no question there! "Birds of a feather" & all that)? And, assuming that they avoid the poogie, will they return to the, er, "university" after it all cools down a bit, albeit perhaps in a less opportunistic position?

Stay tuned...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  11:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the most hilarious and satisfying thing about this whole idiotic 'rape the "university"' affair is the fact that the people getting screwed are the contributors and tuition payers to this preposterous affront to higher education!

With their box-of-hammers-stupid allegiance to an institution committed to promulgate ignorance and the art of non-thinking, they are certainly reaping the rewards of their own imbecilic ignorance!

I hope the ravishing of their coffers continues until the whole damn institution collapses! For sale at two cents on the dollar, it might become the home of the new Darwin University - with a strong academic appeal to many of the good folks of Tulsa and the adjacent geography, certainly the heartland of intellectual America!
Edited by - bngbuck on 11/24/2007 11:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  15:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Oral_Roberts_Scandal.html

"TULSA, Okla. — Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but he did so because God insisted."

...How fundie-typical can you get. I suppose when he's stamped guilty, he'll blame the devil.

"This has nearly destroyed my family, and it's nearly destroyed ORU," Roberts said.

...What, your illegal behavior, or you getting caught? Either way, Roberts is a dipshit.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.