LiLo (Behe) is Back!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cyan

2 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:24:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Instead of using her money on plastic surgery to try to prevent normal aging (see the result of Ursula Andress' surgeries), Bardot has chosen to donate a major amount of her money and time to animal rights organizations. She has aged, but naturally.

(I challenge anyone who laments this photo compared to those of her taken when she was younger to show evidence that they are more attractive at those same ages).

And thanks, filthy, for helping out a newbie.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Thanks for the link to Abby's blog, Mooner. I'm listening to her debate an HIV-evolution denier on the Infidel Guy radio show right now. Good stuff.
Oh, she's a tough one in that debate, ain't she? Can't say she's a shrinking violet. Go, Abbie, go!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

One of the better comments on your work, Mooner:
Oh, great. Now I'm not only old and fat, but now I'm gay.
I love the Internets.
Yeah, ain't that nice? Unfortunately, I've accidentally imploded some brains over at Pharyngula.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/11/2007 15:16:51
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cyan

(I challenge anyone who laments this photo compared to those of her taken when she was younger to show evidence that they are more attractive at those same ages).
Well, HalfMooner loses. Geez, it's like someone dropped an oil tanker on his face a few times. A full one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:24:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Unfortunately, I've accidentally imploded some brains over at Pharyngula.
[Shrug] If you'd made a nice image, nobody would care or remember. Look at the view count on this thread already (as of this writing: 3,727). Filthy had his 15 minutes of fame last month. Now it's your turn (thanks in part to PZ).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:00:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Unfortunately, I've accidentally imploded some brains over at Pharyngula.
[Shrug] If you'd made a nice image, nobody would care or remember. Look at the view count on this thread already (as of this writing: 3,727). Filthy had his 15 minutes of fame last month. Now it's your turn (thanks in part to PZ).
That's pretty much what I've figured out. With all the competing stimulae, if you can't shock people, they'll never hear your voice. Sad, but true. But fun, too.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pleasure -- thanks for the pictures of Bardot. It's been a lot of years since I've heard anything about her. I do believe that, in her day, she caused more noctornal emissions than even Marlyn Monroe. I knew she was doing wildlife support but don't know if she's still active.

A wonderful lady....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:32:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

My pleasure -- thanks for the pictures of Bardot. It's been a lot of years since I've heard anything about her. I do believe that, in her day, she caused more noctornal emissions than even Marlyn Monroe. I knew she was doing wildlife support but don't know if she's still active.

A wonderful lady....

Add my respect for Bardot, and a memory of similar youthful thoughts. And if Bardot prefers to look her age, more power to her. I'm glad she's doing things she feels are good for the earth.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:54:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the fine lady on the right in cyan's post is none other than Honey Ryder.

Edited to say ooops, cyan meant that. I hope my current inability to proper interpret posts is a temporary thing.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link to Abby's blog, Mooner. I'm listening to her debate an HIV-evolution denier on the Infidel Guy radio show right now. Good stuff.

I just listened to that on the weekend.

While it was sometimes amusing, does anyone else find that sort of interaction slightly uncomfortable, and mostly pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed it, and I firmly believe the loons have to be shouted down from time to time, but I wonder if any of the people who listen to those sorts of shows ever change their minds, from either side. I don't listen to a lot of the infidel guy stuff for the reason that I think there is much more constructive stuff to listen to, and only so many hours in which to listen.

I oscillated from amusement at the thumping Horowitz received to pity at his ignorance, to frustration at his ignorance. I did learn a thing or two about the science itself though.

Hmm, looking back here, I'm not sure what I'm really trying to say, beyond, "Yeah I listened to that too". I nearly deleted this rather than posting it. Feel free to let me know if you think I made the wrong decision.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

I just listened to that on the weekend.

While it was sometimes amusing, does anyone else find that sort of interaction slightly uncomfortable, and mostly pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed it, and I firmly believe the loons have to be shouted down from time to time, but I wonder if any of the people who listen to those sorts of shows ever change their minds, from either side. I don't listen to a lot of the infidel guy stuff for the reason that I think there is much more constructive stuff to listen to, and only so many hours in which to listen.

I oscillated from amusement at the thumping Horowitz received to pity at his ignorance, to frustration at his ignorance. I did learn a thing or two about the science itself though.

Hmm, looking back here, I'm not sure what I'm really trying to say, beyond, "Yeah I listened to that too". I nearly deleted this rather than posting it. Feel free to let me know if you think I made the wrong decision.

I think Abbie is aware of the fact that her lack of complete academic credentials, combined with her intimate knowledge of the real workings of HIV research, gives her an opportunity to tackle pseudoscientists in venues where an established scientist might fear to tread.

IMO, the HIV conspiracy theorists, like their kissin' cousins the HIV deniers, are actively dangerous. Millions of people are at risk, due to public policy decisions based on their nonsense. I suspect these lies have killed tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people, especially in Africa.

I think this crap desperately needs to be publicly attacked, even if only by daring young researchers who have no hoary reputations to risk.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/11/2007 18:34:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comments over at PZ Meyers' Pharygula continue, and continue to be interesting.

I thought this one (#12) was fascinating:
P.Z., your credibility shouldn't be going to the lowest bidder -- why literally stoop to caricatures? If you could have proven Behe wrong, you would have by now.

Vitriol is the "CHECK ENGINE" light of any ideology.

Posted by: wnelson | November 11, 2007 11:39 PM

The replies are interesting, too.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  08:51:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, now you've got Abbie defending you, too. Doesn't she have enough to do already?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  11:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great, now you've got Abbie defending you, too. Doesn't she have enough to do already?
Yeah, as if she didn't have enough on her plate already. I'm so self-centered to have started all this.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:49:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, JohnOAS: Here's Abbie's own take on the issue of taking on Creationists. She's for it, if it's done by students. And it certainly is working for her.
A student can safely disarm the problems a PhD would have debating a Creationist, with the added advantage of not having anything to lose. Students can mess up all they want-- theyre still learning! But a Professional Creationist cannot lose one point debating a kid-- theyre supposed to be the professionals. Puts a lot of pressure on the Creationist.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/12/2007 13:50:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.