Televangelist raked in $69 mil last year
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:51:10  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Says Creflo Dollar:
"Without a doubt, my life is not average," he said. "But I'd like to say, just because it is excessive doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

Dollar preaches "prosperity gospel." It works for him.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  19:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused-- and certainly the guy's name being Dollar and all isn't helping his case-- but when he says, "when I want a nice car, I use my own money to get the nice car and not the money of the church," and "my lifestyle does not come out of the church's bank account," there's a logical follow-up, no? Where does his money come from? The article tells us that "Dollar said his salary comes personal investments, including businesses and real estate ventures" but obviously we're missing a step here. His "personal investments" and the like are made possible through his church, no? Like, they pay him a salary, and then he invests it and makes more money. Right? Else, we're to believe that this guy (last name Dollar) works for free and just happens to have some extra cash (er, dollars?) sitting around that he uses for "personal investments."

Or am I the only one to find this defense a bit weak?
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/11/2007 19:48:35
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  19:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may seem a little confusing, but I shall try to clear it up, Cune.

Rev. Dollar's investments are the Unmoved Mover in all this. In fact, he probably gives more to his church than anyone else. (A free-flow of dollars, as it were.) You gotta applaud this generous Christian soul.

There. Now, let's let this good man get back to his charitable pursuits.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:18:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, it's possible he inherited his wealth. Maybe he even used it to start his 'church.'

Funny article though. My personal favorite highlights:

But he said the church gave him a Rolls Royce, which he uses largely for special occasions.
That's nice. It's good to know the church has it's priorities straight, what with people homeless and starving and ignorant of Christ all around the world.

...and have purportedly paid $30,000 for a conference table.
But does that price include the chairs? Lets be fair here people. Full disclosure.

He is among the religious leaders who preach the "prosperity gospel," the teaching that God will shower faithful followers with material riches. But he said he uses only his personal finances to pay for his luxuries.
Prosperity Gospel? Huh. Who wrote that one, I wonder? Satan? I swear I remember reading that Jesus warned people against materialism or at least councelled to not get tied up in seeking it.

EDITED in the quotes and comments....

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/12/2007 06:27:02
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:25:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a look at Amazon.com probably has part of the answer. These guys sell books. Maybe the publishing was paid for by the church and they get the revenues?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  07:13:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been said that the Greeks are the most underated thieves in the world. This is not true; book publishers are the most underated thieves in the whole, freakin' galaxy. (Closely followed by magazine publishers, but I won't go there. Today.)

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  07:20:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It has been said that the Greeks are the most underated thieves in the world. This is not true; book publishers are the most underated thieves in the whole, freakin' galaxy. (Closely followed by magazine publishers, but I won't go there. Today.)

Worse than music publishers? Why do you think book publishers are so?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  08:58:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Originally posted by filthy

Worse than music publishers? Why do you think book publishers are so?
Writers are the grunts of literature. And like grunts everywhere, they are often ill-used -- which in one of the reasons any writer that can afford one, has an agent, and if he/she doesn't he/she should hire one. I've been ripped off by magazines, including Easyriders, which still has a manuscript of mine after lo, some 20+ years (and like a fool, I'd surrendered all rights). Bastards! And a couple of others owe me a little money -- cut the rate on me after I'd submitted the piece, and another published me but sent no check. Scumbags!

The link shows what happened to the Swift Boat writers, hehehe. While I've been there and can sympathize, I shed no tear for 'em.

I'm not a musician & so I know little about that industry. I've no doubt, however, that it can safely be tarred with the same brush.

In all truth, I posted a little tongue-in cheek, but not as deeply as usual....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.