BBC video on the heritage of "secular believers"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  15:41:31  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty neat video that talks about the history of nonbelief as well as all the terms we use to describe ourselves and other matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkRE_OK2Rc

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  16:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links! I do have a better idea of the thoughts behind the Humanist side in the struggles within the secular community.

One thing I have realized is that I'm not a "secular believer," but rather a secular disbeliever. I don't need a church substitute to provide substitute rituals, but more power to those who do.

I thought the final Humanist speaker's comments warning British teachers against letting (I think he said "fanatic") atheists into the classroom was rude, unfair, and left me quite angry. He may as well as said the New Atheists.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/20/2007 16:30:55
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:25:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner wrote:
I thought the final Humanist speaker's comments warning British teachers against letting (I think he said "fanatic") atheists into the classroom was rude, unfair, and left me quite angry. He may as well as said the New Atheists.
How was it rude or unfair? He prefaced it with saying that it would be unhelpful to have religious fanatics speak to a class learning about different beliefs systems. Do you think atheists are immune to fanaticism? Do you assume all atheists are logical, skeptical, open-minded people? What do you mean he's talking about the "New Atheists"?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 11/21/2007 00:25:40
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:44:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Halfmooner wrote:
How was it rude or unfair? He prefaced it with saying that it would be unhelpful to have religious fanatics speak to a class learning about different beliefs systems. Do you think atheists are immune to fanaticism? Do you assume all atheists are logical, skeptical, open-minded people? What do you mean he's talking about the "New Atheists"?
In my mind, that preface helped to compare the atheists he was referring to the worst religious fanatic, the Phelpses and Jihadists. And I had the impression he was referring to the New Atheists, not the very few but real atheist fanatics. At best, he seemed happy enough not to distinguish between them.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/21/2007 00:44:29
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:52:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't thinking of the worst religious fanatics, since it seems obvious that it isn't smart to invite those sort of people to a classroom. I just thought the guy was emphasizing that while it is important to teach about different belief systems, educators have to cautious about the faces they put on certain groups and make sure things are presented in a manner that is more educational than sensational. I think being angered by what he said is being a bit oversensitive. Maybe I'm wrong.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  15:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain I'm right, either. But I also noticed that, though that Humanist recognizes the dangers of inviting fanatical religionists or atheists into the classroom, it appears a slam-dunk assumed certainty to him that there aren't any Humanists who could possibly be fanatics.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/21/2007 15:02:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.