Rudy's Bushit Rhetoric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  17:40:07  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: BuzzFlashers everywhere got this today...

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/articles/editorblog/018

BuzzFlash found an actual statement reflecting Rudolph Giuliani's honest thoughts. On Friday, December 7, he told an association of manufacturers in Illinois:

"You know what the essential nature of the American people is?" Giuliani said. "You know because your association stands for it. The essential nature of the American people is: We want to sell you something."

Orwellingly Yurz Sez:

Yes, Rudy. Just like the American people want to their tax dollars to support the building and re-building of bridges; the underwriting of local police and fire departments. Heck, we ALL need bridges and firemen and policemen, right?

Illogically, we DON'T all need healthcare or quality teachers or education. And we also don't need good healthcare for returning military personnel who've been physically and mentally maimed in
the Bush Oil Wars of the Middle East, do we?

Yes, Rudy. You're right, just like George W. Bush might say, "Go out and run up that debt on your plastic folks, before Armegeddon gets here 'cause that's really what America's all about!"

God's Own Party, the Repuglican'ts, have lowered the standard as far as it can go. Now Rudy can leap over it!

OY Triple Vey

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 12/09/2007 17:44:12

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  23:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not the most poetic of statements, but neither does it justify the screed from that buzzflash editor.

Or yours.

Seriously, if that's the worst you can dig up on Rudy, then I predict he will get the nomination.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  03:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

It's not the most poetic of statements, but neither does it justify the screed from that buzzflash editor.

Or yours.

Seriously, if that's the worst you can dig up on Rudy, then I predict he will get the nomination.
Nah, he won't be nominated. Too many ethics problems are coming to light and the religious right seems to have fallen, at least temporarly, in love with Huckabee.
The focus of the Republican race today was on Rudy Giuliani, who scrambled to explain yesterday's Politico story that documented that he has "billed obscure city agencies for tens of thousands of dollars in security expenses amassed during the time when he was beginning an extramarital relationship with future wife Judith Nathan in the Hamptons." Many of the receipts and documents that were billed to the city concerned travels to Southhampton where Judith Nathan had an apartment, and they reveal numerous Long Island visits throughout the summers of 99, 00 and 01.

Asked about this during the debate yesterday, Giuliani simply said it was "not true" without specifying what exactly he was denying -- and he justified this with "security" costs. The issue, however, does not appear to be Giuliani's use of funds, but that they were billed to obscure agencies instead around the city like the Office for People with Disabilities ($10,054), the Procurement Policy Board ($29.757) adn the Assigned Counsel Administrative Office ($400,000).
I could be ignorant of the law, but don't people go to jail for this sort of thing?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  21:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
I could be ignorant of the law, but don't people go to jail for this sort of thing?

What sort of thing? Having an affair? Charging security expenses to the city? Neither of these things are illegal.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  22:26:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charging the security expense of your mistress to the city is probably illegal. If it doesn't violate any law it is certainly still wrong.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  03:00:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

What sort of thing? Having an affair? Charging security expenses to the city? Neither of these things are illegal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that using public resources for unrelated, private purposes and then burying the billing certainly is.

It is true that keeping a mistress is A-0k and I wish that I could afford one, but, as Rudy was married at the time, it raises something of a moral dilemma, and most Republicans, including the ones who do exactly the same, don't like that.

Hell I dunno, maybe he will be nominated. It probably depends on how drunk the various deligates get at the convention and considering the rest of the candidates they have to choose from, , many might need designated drivers to get back to their hotels. Or to the de-tox center.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/12/2007 03:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  21:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that using public resources for unrelated, private purposes and then burying the billing certainly is.

Is that what he did? Is anyone claiming he used public funds for private purposes?

Keep in mind that security isn't a "private purpose" even if he's performing private activities. As mayor, he gets security no matter what he's doing.

Were the expenses buried? Maybe, maybe not; there seems to be disagreement on that. But even if they were buried, it's still not a crime unless they were illegal to begin with. Keeping an affair from going public is not at all illegal. We even have a constitutional right to privacy.

It is true that keeping a mistress is A-0k and I wish that I could afford one, but, as Rudy was married at the time, it raises something of a moral dilemma, and most Republicans, including the ones who do exactly the same, don't like that.

So you're okay with him having a mistress, you just want to be sure it's noticed by the audience you think will be offended by it. :)

Hell I dunno, maybe he will be nominated. It probably depends on how drunk the various deligates get at the convention and considering the rest of the candidates they have to choose from, , many might need designated drivers to get back to their hotels. Or to the de-tox center.

It seems to me that of the Republican choices Rudy is the most socially liberal. For that reason, I hope he wins the Republican nomination. That way if the Dems lose, then we get the least bad of the other choices.

Some people think differently, they want the opposing party to nominate the most extreme wacko idiot candidate they got so their own party has a better chance of being elected, but the Republicans did nominate their most extreme wacko idiot back in 2000 and 2004 and he still won.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  04:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rudy's Shag Fund. A timeline.

This is not illegle? Evidently not; nobody's been indicted for it. Yet. But even if not, it is certainly corrupt.

Rudy's Shag Fund Excuses. None of them very imaginitive but an entertaining read none the less.

I have been given to understand that the end might not yet be in sight. I was told this in conversation and have no reference. Yet.

This mess added to your afore-mentioned liberal leanings, plus that he is highly unlikely to beat his Democratic opposition in any presidential election that is not rigged, are precisely why he is unlikely to be nominated.

I think that the Faustian Bargain that the Republicans made with the Religious Right decades back is beginning to come back to haunt them in this-coming election. Aside from Huckabee, none of their candidates are suitable to the fundies, and I doubt that Huck, a YEC ex-preacher with a few ethics problems of his own, can win it, either.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.