Religion
 Is this psychologically healthy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  01:14:21  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one little article from the webpage linked below. Basically, this guy is advocating socially isolating the kid from his peers. The early results are noticeable and are asked about. What follows is this guy's reaction.

Bold Christian Living:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoldChristianLiving/message/121

Issue #121: Introducing Christian Pilgrims Schools, International E

As many of you know, the Lord has granted me the privilege to encourage a
small, but growing number of saints in India to homeschool their children.
(My family will be going with me for an extended time of ministry there from
December through February.) One father who has just begun homeschooling his
daughter wrote me this week with an interesting concern. He subsequently
gave me permission to share his note and my response. He wrote:

> We noticed that she doesn't like to play with the other kids
> as much now and prefers to play alone. Any idea what could be happening?

That's GREAT! I often hear from new homeschoolers that their children are
preferring to play with the parents, siblings, and alone, soon after
beginning homeschooling.

In my opinion, that's part of the goal. Congratulations! She was becoming
addicted to interaction with her peers, who were, perhaps unintentionally,
stealing her heart from you. She had already started down the road to
becoming peer-dependent. But now, she is preferring being with you, being
with her little brother, and being alone. I think that's really healthy.

Many people worry that this will make children unable to relate to others.
In fact, it makes them less intimidated by others' acceptance/rejection of
them. She will be less likely to be pressured into conformity with the world
(Rom. 12:1-2). And as you spend time with her, her emotional focus is
turning to you. God is "turning the hearts of the children to the fathers,
and the hearts of the fathers to their children" (Mal. 4:6). Ultimately this
will make it easier for Grace to give her heart to you (Prov. 23:26) in
preparation for fully yielding and trusting her heart to the Lord.

Bascially, is this not a form of brainwashing? Could this also be a mild form of abuse? Or am I overreacting?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  03:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The end result of that nonsense is a child who has no clue how to get along in the world outside their house.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  04:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only way to know for sure if it was abusive would be many longterm studies of children raised in this manner in order to determine if they end up being dysfunctional adults. From what little I know about human growth and development, it seems that separating a child from peers could really screw up a kid during adolescence when they are supposed to be rebelling and becoming independent from the parents.

I found this article on factnet about children in "cultic" groups. http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/chldclt2.htm I thought this paragraph was especially worth noting:

Not surprisingly, child protection authorities cannot easily measure the scope of the problems these cults pose. Scientific literature on child abuse in cultic groups is almost nonexistent. Official investigations cover only a handful of extreme cases in which the death of a child served as the stimulus to governmental action. Nearly all of the other available information comes from individual court cases, about which newspaper reports are the only readily available sources of information. An early survey of such reports can be found in Landa (1984). Consequently, it is impossible to estimate the extent of the problem with any confidence. Moreover, the connection between a group's practices and child abuse and neglect is not always clear. Nevertheless, on the whole the evidence is sufficiently compelling to warrant examination. Much more research must be conducted, however, before we can draw confident conclusions about the relationship between cultic groups and child abuse and neglect.

Any parent worries about the environment their child grows up in. I worry the most about raising kids in a society with such high levels of empty materialism and conspicuous consumption. But a better solution IMO is to try to find a like-minded local community within society to raise a child in, and then also let them be exposed to the outside influences I don't like and then *gasp* talk with them about it in a frank manner, allowing them to develop their own opinions while also understanding the parents' opinions. Totally isolating them and celebrating their preference for being only with family and alone does strike me as unhealthy and possibly abuse, though it would be hard to prove for legal matters.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 12/19/2007 04:53:50
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  05:36:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Any parent worries about the environment their child grows up in. I worry the most about raising kids in a society with such high levels of empty materialism and conspicuous consumption. But a better solution IMO is to try to find a like-minded local community within society to raise a child in, and then also let them be exposed to the outside influences I don't like and then *gasp* talk with them about it in a frank manner, allowing them to develop their own opinions while also understanding the parents' opinions. Totally isolating them and celebrating their preference for being only with family and alone does strike me as unhealthy and possibly abuse, though it would be hard to prove for legal matters.

Kind of what I was thinking, though worded better.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  12:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Bascially, is this not a form of brainwashing? Could this also be a mild form of abuse? Or am I overreacting?
Raising children is brainwashing all around. Parents have the access, children are predisposed to idolize and crave their parent's approval, and we make our children in our own image, one way or another. I don't really see a major problem with homeschooling and the child playing less with friends. They'll be no more or less fucked up, just fucked up differently.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.